Fajan's Rules and Electronegativity

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion surrounding the application of Fajan's rules and electronegativity and dipole moments when determining the covalent and ionic character of compounds. The speaker's basic question is what to do in the case of compounds that seem to be ionic, and if Fajan's rules are only applicable when comparing the covalent character of two bonds considered to be purely ionic. The speaker also raises the issue of whether hybridization can be applied to ionic compounds. The conversation concludes with the understanding that Fajan's rules and electronegativity are only general rules and may not accurately predict the nature of a substance without prior knowledge.
Ashu2912
Hey friends, I am having some confusion regarding covalent character of ionic bonds (Fajan's rules) and polar character of covalent bond (electronegativity and dipole moments). We apply Fajan's rules when we start a bond to be purely ionic, as in NaCl, and derive it's partial covalent character. While applying electronegativity and dipole moments, we start with purely covalent bonds, as in HCl and explain their polarity. However, I come across certain compounds such as BF3 or AlCl3 and get confused about what to apply, Fajan's rules or electronegativity. My book says that these compounds are covalent (sp2 and sp2 hybridized respectively), so we apply 'polar character of covalent bonds'. However, at the first look these compounds seem to be ionic as B(3+) has a duplet in outermost shell and 3 F atoms gain one electron each to form 3 F(-1), forming an ionic bond. So, therefore my basic question is:
(1) What to do in case of componds which seem to be ionic?
(2) Are the Fajan's rules applicable only while comparing the covalent character of two bonds considered to be purely ionic?
(3) If we consider BF3 and AlF3 to be purely covalent, how can we say that BF3 is more covalent than AlF3 (a result of Fajan's rule : The smaller the cation the more covalent is the bond)?
There's a lot of confusion... Please help me out...

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemistry is to explain the behaviour of material based on experimental findings. Hence those rules eg Fajan rule and electronegativity are just only general rules try to clarify. Hence if we are given a substance without prior knowledge of it, there is a high risk predicting its nature by using those fundamental rules. Hopefully i have given a satisfactory reply.

Ya, well, i too believe that science is built by the aim of explaining things, and can predict only when the fact is universal...
However, for example, i have found a compound BF3 or AlCl3. From the first look, I personally feel that these are ionic, due to their charge configuration. Then, I find that they are primarily covalent in nature. So, that's the entire dilemma in my mind...
Now, if I start with covalent, I'll have to apply the dipole moment and electronegativity concept...
My post "Can hybridization be applied to ionic compounds is related to that". Now, if I find a compound MgCl2, it can be ionic due to the charge configuration. However, I can also say that it is sp2 hybridized (which I now know I can't)...
Guess Fajan's Rules and dipole moments are only used to predict the relative covalent character of ionic molecules and polarity of covalent bonds respectively...

1. What are Fajan's Rules?

Fajan's Rules are a set of guidelines developed by Polish chemist Kazimierz Fajans to predict the polarization of covalent bonds between atoms in a molecule. These rules are based on the electronegativity difference between atoms and the size of the atoms involved in the bond.

2. How do Fajan's Rules relate to electronegativity?

Fajan's Rules state that the more electronegative atom in a bond will have a greater pull on the shared electrons, causing them to shift towards that atom. This results in the bond becoming more polarized, with the more electronegative atom having a partial negative charge and the less electronegative atom having a partial positive charge.

3. What is the difference between polar and nonpolar bonds?

A polar bond is a covalent bond in which the electrons are not shared equally between the atoms, resulting in a partial positive and partial negative charge. Nonpolar bonds, on the other hand, have an equal sharing of electrons and no separation of charges. Fajan's Rules can help predict which type of bond will form based on the electronegativity difference between the atoms.

4. How are Fajan's Rules used in predicting the properties of molecules?

Fajan's Rules can be used to predict the polarity and strength of bonds in a molecule, which in turn can affect the physical and chemical properties of the molecule. For example, a molecule with highly polar bonds will have a higher melting and boiling point compared to a molecule with nonpolar bonds.

5. Can Fajan's Rules be applied to all types of bonds?

Fajan's Rules are most commonly applied to covalent bonds, but can also be used to predict the properties of ionic compounds. However, they may not accurately predict the behavior of bonds involving highly electronegative elements, such as fluorine, or in cases where there is significant charge separation within a molecule.