Falling object, time between images

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the time between photoflashes of an apple in a given figure, using its diameter as a reference. The person seeking help mentions trying to use kinematic equations but being unable to due to missing variables. A request is made for the person to show their work in order to determine the issue.
physicscanbefun

Homework Statement

Estimate the time between each photoflash of the apple in Fig. 2-18 (or number of photoflashes per second). Assume the apple is about 10 cm in diameter. [Hint: Use two apple positions, but not the unclear ones at the top.]
upload_2017-10-12_20-59-22.png

Homework Equations

All we have learned in class is the 3 kinematic equations but I haven't been able to figure this one out.[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried plugging values into the kinematics but every time I'm missing too many variables to carry on.

Physics news on Phys.org
I gave the thread a more descriptive title.
physicscanbefun said:
I've tried plugging values into the kinematics but every time I'm missing too many variables to carry on.
Please show your work, otherwise it is impossible to tell what went wrong.

Related to Falling object, time between images

1. What is a falling object?

A falling object is any object that is in motion due to the force of gravity. It can be any object that is released or dropped from a certain height and falls towards the ground.

2. How does the time between images affect a falling object?

The time between images can be used to track the motion of a falling object. By taking multiple images at specific time intervals, the displacement of the object can be calculated and used to determine its velocity and acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the time between images of a falling object?

The time between images can be affected by the frame rate of the camera, the distance between the object and the camera, and the speed of the falling object. Other factors such as lighting and camera settings can also have an impact.

4. How can the time between images be used to calculate the acceleration of a falling object?

By using the formula a = (v-u)/t, where a is acceleration, v is final velocity, u is initial velocity, and t is time, the acceleration of a falling object can be calculated. The time between images can provide the value of t, and the initial and final velocities can be determined from the displacement of the object.

5. Can the time between images be used to accurately predict the motion of a falling object?

Yes, with proper measurements and calculations, the time between images can be used to accurately predict the motion of a falling object. However, factors such as air resistance and external forces may affect the accuracy of the predictions.