Faulty lamp because it short circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving faulty lamps and using an ohmmeter to determine their resistance. It is determined that lamp C is faulty and has a short circuit, as it measures 0 ohms. The lamps are connected in series and parallel in different cases, and it is concluded that the current passes through A and C only in the fourth case, as C is faulty and has a short circuit.
thoradicus

Homework Statement

http://www.xtremepapers.com/papers/CIE/Cambridge%20International%20A%20and%20AS%20Level/Physics%20%289702%29/9702_s06_qp_2.pdf

number 7a

Homework Equations

None really

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is that C is the faulty lamp because it short circuit. But how do I know it is faulty?

Im quite sure it has something to do with the last row: open closed closed 15 ohm

Just realized it was a 1 word title :/

Physics news on Phys.org

The ohmmeter reads the resultant resistance between its terminals. Which lamp does it measure in the first case? So what is the resistance of one lamp? Which lamps are connected in series in the third case?

ehild

ehild said:
The ohmmeter reads the resultant resistance between its terminals. Which lamp does it measure in the first case? So what is the resistance of one lamp? Which lamps are connected in series in the third case?

ehild

For the 1st case it measures no lamps?
The resistance for 1 lamp is 15ohm.
A and B?>

Sorry, I wanted to ask the first case when S1 is closed. But it is right, the resistance of one lamp is 15 ohm. In the third case, A and B are connected in series, the resistances add up, and the meter measures 30 ohm, which is the resultant of two lamps in series. So lamp B is not faulty.

How are the lamps connected in the fourth case? What is the resistance of C when the resultant is 15 ohm?
ehild

ehild said:
Sorry, I wanted to ask the first case when S1 is closed. But it is right, the resistance of one lamp is 15 ohm. In the third case, A and B are connected in series, the resistances add up, and the meter measures 30 ohm, which is the resultant of two lamps in series. So lamp B is not faulty.

How are the lamps connected in the fourth case? What is the resistance of C when the resultant is 15 ohm?

ehild
ummm in parallel? I am not sure
Is it 0 for C?

B and C are connected in parallel, and A is in series with the resultant of B and C. Yes, the resistance of C has to be zero.

ehild

Ok, so let me get this right

the current passes through A but also passes through C only, because it is faulty so it has 0 resistance, so it was shorted?

thoradicus said:
Ok, so let me get this right

the current passes through A but also passes through C only, because it is faulty so it has 0 resistance, so it was shorted?

Yes. But a faulty lamp can have either infinite or zero resistance. If it is not shorted, the meter would read a resistance higher than 15 ohm. The measured resistance is 15 ohm, so leaving lamp A, the current goes through a short. Or: The resultant resistance of B and C in parallel has to be zero. That can happen only when C is a short (as B is not faulty).

ehild

Related to Faulty lamp because it short circuit

1. What causes a lamp to short circuit?

A lamp can short circuit due to a variety of reasons, such as faulty wiring, damaged bulbs, or loose connections. However, the most common cause is when the electrical current is disrupted by a break in the circuit, causing it to take a shortcut and create a surge of electricity.

2. How can I tell if my lamp has short-circuited?

There are a few signs that indicate a short circuit in your lamp. These include flickering or dimming of the light, a burning smell, or the lamp not turning on at all. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to stop using the lamp and have it inspected by a professional.

3. Can a short-circuited lamp be repaired?

In most cases, a short-circuited lamp can be repaired. However, the extent of the damage and the cost of repair may vary. It is best to consult a professional electrician or bring the lamp to a repair shop to assess the damage and determine the best course of action.

4. How can I prevent my lamp from short-circuiting?

To prevent your lamp from short-circuiting, make sure to use the appropriate wattage bulbs and avoid overloading the circuit by plugging in too many appliances. It is also important to regularly check the wiring and connections of your lamp to ensure they are in good condition.

5. Is a short-circuited lamp a fire hazard?

A short-circuited lamp can pose a fire hazard if not addressed promptly. The surge of electricity caused by a short circuit can generate heat and potentially start a fire. It is important to address any signs of a short circuit in your lamp to prevent any potential hazards.