Feynman integral with three propagators

In summary: Any help would be much appreciated!In summary, the integral is:=-i \int dx_1 \int dx_2 \int dx_3 \int {\dfrac {d^4 k} {(2\pi)^4}} \dfrac {\delta (1-x_1 -x_2 -x_3)} {-x_1 (k^2 - m^2) -x_2 ((k+P_1)^2 -m^2) -x_3 ((k+P_1 +P_2)^2 -m^2)}$$where the mass terms are:=-k^2 - 2k\cdot (x_2 P_1
Milsomonk
Hi guys,
So I'm trying to compute this Feynman integral:
$$ V=\dfrac {-i} {2} \int {\dfrac {d^4 k} {(2\pi)^4}} \dfrac {1} {k^2 - m^2} \dfrac {1} {(k+P_1)^2 -m^2} \dfrac {1} {(k+P_1 +P_2)^2 -m^2}$$
I have introduced the Feynman parameters and now have the integral:
$$ V=-i \int dx_1 \int dx_2 \int dx_3 \int {\dfrac {d^4 k} {(2\pi)^4}} \dfrac {\delta (1-x_1 -x_2 -x_3)} {-x_1 (k^2 - m^2) -x_2 ((k+P_1)^2 -m^2) -x_3 ((k+P_1 +P_2)^2 -m^2)}$$
Now focusing on the denominator I expand it out and need to complete the square and shift the integration variable according to Peskin Schroeder, but I'm not sure how to do this. Here is what I have so far:
$$ -x_1 k^2 -x_1 m^2 -x_2 k^2 -2x_2 k \cdot P_1 - x_2 P_1^2 -x_2 m^2 -x_3 k^2 -2 x_3 k \cdot P_1 -2 x_3 k \cdot P_2 - x_3 P_1 ^2 -x_3 P_2 ^2 -2x_3 P_1 \cdot P_2 -x_3 m^2 $$

I know that I need to get rid of the terms with dot products but I'm not sure how, any guidance would be awesome :)

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, use the ##\delta## to collect all of the ##k^2## terms into a single one with the prefactor 1. Second, collect all of the terms with an inner product with ##k## and write it on the form ##2k\cdot V##, where ##V## is some sum of 4-vectors. Finally, complete the square.

Hi,
Thanks for your response :) I'm not sure exactly what you mean by using the delta to collect the k squared terms?

Because of the delta function, ##x_1 + x_2 + x_3 = 1## whenever the integrand is non-zero.

Oh ok thanks, so I also do that for the mass terms as well. Now I have:
$$= -k^2 - 2k\cdot (x_2 P_1 +x_3 P_1 +x_3 P_2) - 2 x_3 P_1 \cdot P_2 -m^2 $$
Now to complete the square I must be making some mistake, I get this:
$$= (-k^2 - 2k\cdot (x_2 P_1 +x_3 P_1 +x_3 P_2) +(x_2 P_1 +x_3 P_1 +x_3 P_2)^2) - 2 x_3 P_1 \cdot P_2 - (x_2 P_1 +x_3 P_1 +x_3 P_2)^2 -m^2 $$
This doesn't appear to help me though..

You should have the opposite sign for the last term in the completed square. Once you have completed the square, you can make the variable shift.

Ah yes, thanks :) so would the appropriate momentum shift be:
$$ l = k+ x_2 P_1 + x_3 P_1 + x_3 P_2 $$
I'm not at all clear on how to shift the integration variable.

What is a Feynman integral with three propagators?

A Feynman integral with three propagators is a mathematical calculation used in quantum field theory to calculate the probability amplitude for a particular particle interaction. It involves integrating over all possible paths of the particles involved, taking into account their interaction through three propagators.

How is a Feynman integral with three propagators calculated?

The calculation of a Feynman integral with three propagators involves breaking down the interaction into smaller components, each of which can be represented by a Feynman diagram. These diagrams are then used to construct the integral, which is solved using a mathematical technique called perturbation theory.

What is the significance of a Feynman integral with three propagators?

A Feynman integral with three propagators is significant because it allows us to calculate the probability of a specific particle interaction occurring. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, and has important implications in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

What are the challenges of calculating a Feynman integral with three propagators?

One of the main challenges of calculating a Feynman integral with three propagators is dealing with the infinite number of possible paths that particles can take. This requires the use of advanced mathematical techniques and can be very time-consuming. Additionally, the calculation may become increasingly complex as the number of particles and interactions involved increases.

How does a Feynman integral with three propagators relate to Feynman diagrams?

Feynman integrals with three propagators are represented by Feynman diagrams, which are graphical representations of particle interactions. Each propagator in the integral corresponds to a line in the diagram, and the overall integral can be thought of as the sum of all possible Feynman diagrams for a given particle interaction.