Final Angular Momentum of a Space Station

In summary: I suggest that you read post #5 by @haruspex and redo the calculation to see if you still get 3.99 rad/s.
marjine
Homework Statement
A space station has the form of a hoop of
radius R = 15 m, with mass M = 1000 kg.
Initially its center of mass is not moving, but
it is spinning with angular speed ωi = 4 rad/s.
A small package of mass m = 19 kg is thrown
at high velocity by a spring-loaded gun at an
angle θ = 19 ◦
toward a nearby spacecraft
as shown. The package has a speed v =
310 m/s after launch. What is the space
station’s rotational speed ωf after the launch?
You may ignore the mass of the package in
calculating the moment of inertia of the space
station.
Answer in units of rad/s.
Relevant Equations
Conservation of angular momentum: Lf=Li
Rotational angular momentum: Iω
Translational angular momentum: mvrsinθ
Li = Lrf +Ltf
Iωo = Iωf + mvRsinθ
I = MR^2
(MR^2)ωo = (MR^2)ωf + mvRsinθ
ωf = (MR^2ωo -mvRsinθ)/MR^2 = 3.99

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a diagram that goes with this problem? What is the angle of the the package measured with respect to?

gneill said:
Is there a diagram that goes with this problem? What is the angle of the the package measured with respect to?

I can't figure out how to upload the diagram so I'll do my best to explain it: the hoop is drawn with a horizontal line through the center, theta is the angle of the velocity vector above that dotted line. Hope that helps, sorry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 2.57.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-20 at 2.57.53 PM.png
    33.6 KB · Views: 53
marjine said:
I can't figure out how to upload the diagram so I'll do my best to explain it: the hoop is drawn with a horizontal line through the center, theta is the angle of the velocity vector above that dotted line. Hope that helps, sorry.
Click "Attach files", lower left at the same height as "Post reply" and follow instructions. It's easy and leaves nothing to our imagination.

marjine said:
ωf = (MR^2ωo -mvRsinθ)/MR^2 = 3.99
I agree with your algebra but get a different numerical answer.

haruspex said:
I agree with your algebra but get a different numerical answer.
I think it's because OP entered "19" in the argument of a sine algorithm that expected radians. I got 3.94 rad/s under that assumed mistake.

To @marjine: Make sure your calculator is set to "degrees" and redo the calculation.

kuruman said:
I think it's because OP entered "19" in the argument of a sine algorithm that expected radians. I got 3.94 rad/s under that assumed mistake.
Good thought, but the difference from initial angular velocity is 0.01rad/s according to @marjine and 0.06 according to that presumed error (which I confirm).

haruspex said:
Good thought, but the difference from initial angular velocity is 0.01rad/s according to @marjine and 0.06 according to that presumed error (which I confirm).
It is interesting to note that if the (more correct) form for the initial angular momentum ##L_0= (M+m)R^2\omega_0## is considered despite the problem statement's suggestion not to, the final answer (with the correct sine) is 3.94 rad/s. The discrepancy introduced by ignoring the initial angular momentum of the package is significant in this case.

An additional assumption is that the speed of the ejected package is relative to the center of the hoop, not relative to the point of launch. The problem is unclear on that.

Finally, this problem crosses over to the twilight zone and enters the realm of incredulity. A solid iron hoop of radius 15 m and mass 1000 kg will have a radius of 2 cm. Some space station ##\dots##

kuruman said:
An additional assumption is that the speed of the ejected package is relative to the center of the hoop, not relative to the point of launch.
I guess you mean a non-rotating frame at the hoop's centre.
Isn't that largely equivalent to the choice of including the package's mass in the initial angular momentum? If we include it, the thrower does not need to supply the tangential momentum, so taking the velocity as relative to the ejection point is equivalent to excluding it and taking the velocity in the inertial frame.
Then again, we could take either of the other two combinations.
kuruman said:
A solid iron hoop of radius 15 m and mass 1000 kg will have a radius of 2 cm.
The space station was constructed by an advanced civilisation of ants.

kuruman said:

To @marjine: Make sure your calculator is set to "degrees" and redo the calculation.
The calculator mode is always the first thing I check when I get a physics problem wrong hahaha. 3.94 rad/s is not the correct answer, unfortunately.

marjine said:
The calculator mode is always the first thing I check when I get a physics problem wrong hahaha. 3.94 rad/s is not the correct answer, unfortunately.
I didn't say or imply that 3.94 rad/s is the correct answer. It is the answer one gets if one uses the wrong argument for the sine.

I suggest that you read post #5 by @haruspex and redo the calculation to see if you still get 3.99 rad/s.

1. What is the definition of final angular momentum?

Final angular momentum is the measure of the rotational motion of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is the final angular momentum of a space station calculated?

The final angular momentum of a space station can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the space station by its linear velocity and the distance from the axis of rotation. This is represented by the equation L = mvr, where L is the final angular momentum, m is the mass, v is the linear velocity, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors can affect the final angular momentum of a space station?

The final angular momentum of a space station can be affected by changes in mass, linear velocity, or distance from the axis of rotation. Other factors such as external forces, friction, and collisions can also impact the final angular momentum.

4. Why is the final angular momentum of a space station important?

The final angular momentum of a space station is important because it determines the stability and orientation of the station in space. It also plays a crucial role in the station's ability to maintain its orbit and perform tasks such as docking and maneuvering.

5. Can the final angular momentum of a space station be changed?

Yes, the final angular momentum of a space station can be changed by altering its mass, linear velocity, or distance from the axis of rotation. This can be done through various methods such as adjusting the position of the station's thrusters or using external forces to alter its trajectory.