Find all bifurcation points (ODEs)

In summary, the conversation is about solving for x in terms of the parameter mu in order to draw a bifurcation diagram. The person is unsure if they are using the correct method and is seeking a hint.
anonymity
I'm at a loss on this question...my troubles seem to be algebraic or that I'm simply missing something.x' = [itex]\mu[/itex] - x2 +4x4

my method for these questions has basically been to do everything required to draw bifurcation diagram bar drawing the actual diagram itself (ie, find equilibria, what values of mu create/destroy them, and the intervals of stability). Here solving for x in terms of the parameter mu has been a challenge. I've been trying to think of what it means to have mu as a function of x and what that can do for me, but so far I have nothing.

Is this the correct method, or am I making this harder than it needs to be? I'm taking the course independent as an independent study, so every once in a while I can't help but wonder.

If I am doing it right can someone give me a hint here? -.-

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to find the equilibrium points you want to solve mu-x^2+4x^4=0, yes? That's not too hard. Substitute u=x^2 first. Now you have a quadratic in u. Solve it for u and then find x.

Last edited:

1. What is a bifurcation point in ODEs?

A bifurcation point in ODEs is a critical point where the stability or behavior of a dynamical system changes qualitatively. It is a point where the system transitions from one stable state to another, or where the number of stable states changes.

2. How do I find bifurcation points in ODEs?

There are several methods for finding bifurcation points in ODEs, such as computing the eigenvalues of the Jacobian matrix at each point, or plotting bifurcation diagrams to visualize the behavior of the system. Numerical methods, such as the shooting method or continuation methods, can also be used to locate bifurcation points.

3. What factors can cause bifurcation points in ODEs?

Bifurcation points can occur due to changes in parameters or initial conditions of the system, or due to nonlinearities in the equations themselves. External forces or disturbances can also lead to bifurcation points in ODEs.

4. What is the importance of studying bifurcation points in ODEs?

Studying bifurcation points in ODEs is important for understanding the behavior and stability of dynamic systems. It can help predict critical points where the system may undergo drastic changes, and can also provide insights into how to control or manipulate the system.

5. Are bifurcation points always present in ODEs?

No, bifurcation points are not always present in ODEs. The existence of bifurcation points depends on the specific equations and parameters of the system. In some cases, a system may not have any bifurcation points, while in others, there may be multiple bifurcation points.