Find all maximal ideals in Z 8

• Thread starter STEMucator
  • Start date
In summary, the maximal ideals in Z8 are <2>, in Z10 are <2> and <5>, and in Z12 are <2> and <3>. This can be determined by considering the subgroups of Z_n and their orders, and characterizing maximal ideals as being of the form pZn where p is a prime that divides n.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
Find all maximal ideals in Z8...

Homework Statement

http://gyazo.com/e292522bc3d99584d5abb55826b4a50f

Homework Equations

Some definitions.

http://gyazo.com/f095ef61ecc9806c8f6a95fa99dad6fb

I was also thinking about using a lattice of ideals to show this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, when I draw out the ideal lattice for these, it's obvious to see which ideals are maximal. For part a, b, and c.

a) For Z8, <2> is maximal.
b) For Z10, <2> and <5> are maximal.
c) For Z12, <2> and <3> are maximal.
d) Requires a proof. Lattice fails.

My question is, how would I argue this without the aid of a lattice for a, b and c?

Physics news on Phys.org

Zondrina said:

Homework Statement

http://gyazo.com/e292522bc3d99584d5abb55826b4a50f

Homework Equations

Some definitions.

http://gyazo.com/f095ef61ecc9806c8f6a95fa99dad6fb

I was also thinking about using a lattice of ideals to show this.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, when I draw out the ideal lattice for these, it's obvious to see which ideals are maximal. For part a, b, and c.

a) For Z8, <2> is maximal.
b) For Z10, <2> and <5> are maximal.
c) For Z12, <2> and <3> are maximal.
d) Requires a proof. Lattice fails.

My question is, how would I argue this without the aid of a lattice for a, b and c?

An ideal must be a subgroup. What do the subgroups of Z_n look like? Think about prime divisors of n. Can you characterize a maximal ideal in terms of those?

Dick said:
An ideal must be a subgroup. What do the subgroups of Z_n look like? Think about prime divisors of n. Can you characterize a maximal ideal in terms of those?

Hmm... The subgroups of Zn are cyclic and the order of each subgroup divides the order of the group.

In each case then, ideals of the form <p> where p is a prime that divides the order of the group are maximal ideals?

EDIT : So I suppose I could conclude since all ideals of Zn come from the ideals of Z that contain nZ, any maximal ideal of Zn is of the form pZn where p is a prime that divides n.

Last edited:

Zondrina said:
Hmm... The subgroups of Zn are cyclic and the order of each subgroup divides the order of the group.

In each case then, ideals of the form <p> where p is a prime that divides the order of the group are maximal ideals?

EDIT : So I suppose I could conclude since all ideals of Zn come from the ideals of Z that contain nZ, any maximal ideal of Zn is of the form pZn where p is a prime that divides n.

Right.

1. What is a maximal ideal in Z8?

A maximal ideal is a proper subset of Z8 (the integers modulo 8) that is closed under addition and multiplication and contains no other proper subsets that are also closed under these operations.

2. How many maximal ideals are there in Z8?

Z8 has 4 maximal ideals, which are {0}, {2}, {4}, and {6}.

3. How do you find all maximal ideals in Z8?

To find all maximal ideals in Z8, you can use the fact that every ideal in Z8 is principal. This means that every ideal can be generated by a single element. Therefore, to find all maximal ideals, you just need to find all elements that generate ideals that are maximal.

4. What is the difference between a maximal ideal and a prime ideal in Z8?

A maximal ideal is an ideal that is not contained in any other proper ideal. A prime ideal, on the other hand, is an ideal that is closed under multiplication and contains the identity element. In Z8, all maximal ideals are also prime ideals, but not all prime ideals are maximal.

5. Can Z8 have any other types of ideals besides maximal ideals?

Yes, Z8 can have other types of ideals, such as principal ideals, prime ideals, and proper ideals. These ideals may not be maximal, but they still have important properties that make them useful in certain mathematical contexts.