Periods of Jacobi Elliptic functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the period of a function, given by the equation ##(\psi(z)-e_j)^{1/2}=e^{\frac{-n_jz}{2}}\frac{\sigma(z+\frac{w_j}{2})}{\sigma(\frac{w_j}{2})\sigma(z)}##. It is stated that the function has period ##w_i## if ##i=j## and period ##2w_i## if ##i\neq j##, where ##i,j=1,2,3## and ##w_3=w_1+w_2##. Additionally, two identities are given: ##\sigma(z+w_j)=-\sigma(z)e^{n_j
binbagsss

Homework Statement

I have that ##(\psi(z)-e_j)^{1/2}=e^{\frac{-n_jz}{2}}\frac{\sigma(z+\frac{w_j}{2})}{\sigma(\frac{w_j}{2})\sigma(z)}##

has period ##w_i## if ##i=j##
and period ##2w_i## if ##i\neq j##

where ##i,j=1,2,3## and ##w_3=w_1+w_2## (*)
where ##e_j=\psi(\frac{w_j}{2})##

I have the following (two) identities:

##\sigma(z+w_j)=-\sigma(z)e^{n_j(z+\frac{w_j}{2})}## (1)

From which we can get:

##\sigma(z+\frac{w_j}{2})=-e^{n_j z}\sigma(z-\frac{w_j}{2})## (2)

With the above information I need to deduce that:

##S(z)## has period lattice with ##(2w_1,w_2)##
##C(z)## has period lattice with ##(2w_1,w_1+w_2)##
##D(z)## has period lattice with ##(w_1,2w_2)##

where ##S(z), C(z), D(z)## are given as attached:

attachhere.png

Homework Equations

see above, see below, look up, look down, look all around.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]

My book says this is straightforward with the result (*) stated above. But I can't see it for ##C(z) ## and ##D(z)##...

For example,

##C(z)## numerator, using (*), has periods ##(w_1,2w_2)##, whilst the denominator has periods ##(2w_1,w_2)##..

So I can't see how a obvious conclusion can be made? (Similarly for ##D(z)##)...
All I can see to do is work through a tonne of algebra, each period in turn, using (1) and (2), however then I'm not making use of (*), from which my book says the result simply follows, so I don't think I should be needing to do this anyway...

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
bump.

1. What are Jacobi Elliptic functions?

Jacobi Elliptic functions are a class of special functions that are defined by the Jacobi elliptic equations. They are used to describe the motion of a particle on an elliptical orbit and have applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the period of a Jacobi Elliptic function?

The period of a Jacobi Elliptic function is the length of the smallest interval in which the function repeats itself. The period is determined by the values of the elliptic modulus, which is a constant that is used to define the shape of the elliptic function.

3. How are Jacobi Elliptic functions different from other special functions?

Jacobi Elliptic functions are different from other special functions in that they are doubly periodic, meaning they have two periods instead of just one. Additionally, they are defined in terms of the elliptic modulus, making them more complex and versatile compared to other special functions.

4. How are Jacobi Elliptic functions used in physics?

Jacobi Elliptic functions are used in physics to describe the motion of a particle on an elliptical orbit. They are also used in the study of vibrating strings, nonlinear optics, and the motion of pendulums. In addition, they have applications in solving differential equations and in the theory of special relativity.

5. Can Jacobi Elliptic functions be extended to complex numbers?

Yes, Jacobi Elliptic functions can be extended to complex numbers. In fact, they are often used in complex analysis to solve problems related to elliptic curves and modular forms. The complex extension of Jacobi Elliptic functions allows for a wider range of applications in mathematics and physics.