Find elements of a matrix such that its determinant is zero

In summary, the author is trying to find a set of points in which the first column of the matrix is linearly dependent.
Dick said:
The problem says 'Describe the set'. If I were grading the problem, the description of the set as the circle that passes through the points ##a##, ##b## and ##c##, along with the reasons you think so would be enough. I don't think the actual equation of the circle is needed.
Oh I see. Originally I thought the following would also satisfy the problem:
##[x_1 x_2]^T=u[a_1 a_2]+v[b_1 b_2]+w[c_1 c_2]## for some arbitrary constants u,v,w, such that not all of them are zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clandry said:
Oh I see. Originally I thought the following would also satisfy the problem:
##[x_1 x_2]^T=u[a_1 a_2]+v[b_1 b_2]+w[c_1 c_2]## for some arbitrary constants u,v,w, such that not all of them are zero.

I don't think that's the best way to describe the solution.

Dick said:
I don't think that's the best way to describe the solution.
Yes, I thought it was too simple to describe it like that as I did not go about finding constants u,v,w.

For the equation of the circle, it seems I still am not finding the constants, but seems a bit more informative than what I had formerly planned on doing.

Dick said:
No, the triangle is a given. ##a##, ##b## and ##c## are ANY points.
Right. But you worked it through independently.
I just thought of something. Couldn't the coefficients in front of the ##x_1^2## and ##x_2^2## be zero? If so, then the determiannt expansion when set to zero would yield an equation for a line that passes through those 3 distinct points.

Clandry said:
I just thought of something. Couldn't the coefficients in front of the ##x_1^2## and ##x_2^2## be zero? If so, then the determiannt expansion when set to zero would yield an equation for a line that passes through those 3 distinct points.

Yes, you might also give some thought to 'degenerate cases'. If the three points ##a##, ##b## and ##c## are collinear then the 'circumcircle' becomes a line. And yes, the coefficient of ##x_1^2## and ##x_2^2## will be zero.