Find Magnitude & Direction of q1, q2 & q3 Forces

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Coulomb's law to find the magnitude and direction of force exerted on point q2, given that q=+12uc and the distance between points is 19cm. It is determined that the correct equation is F=k(q)(q)/d^2 and after some initial confusion, the correct answer is found to be 7.48. The conversation also touches on the use of subscripts and the importance of correctly converting charges.
PattyCake
1. Given that q=+12uc distance=19cm
Find Magnitude and direction exerted on point q2.
What happens to the force if the distance is tripled?q____________ q2 ____________q3
q1=+12
q2=-2.0q
q3=+3.0q
distances between point are equidistant.

The Attempt at a Solution

F=k Q Q/ d^2
F=F+F
F=k/d^2(QQ+QQ)

F=k(q)(q)/d^2

(9*10^9)(12*10^-6)(2*10^-6)
(.19)^2

=5.98

(9*10^9)(-2*10^-6)(3*10^-6)

(.19)^2

=-1.50

thus 5.98-(-1.50)=7.48

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're sure you don't have a value for q1?

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
You're sure you don't have a value for q1?
I think q1 is 12uc

Ok, so how do you treat separate forces? You have coloumbs law correct. I guess I don't see where you're stuck, unless you don't understand the formula. If that's the case, please clarify.

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Ok, so how do you treat separate forces? You have coloumbs law correct. I guess I don't see where you're stuck, unless you don't understand the formula. If that's the case, please clarify.
I think I'm just confused because the book does it completely differently and my answer isn't the same. I think there Is error rounding. and I didn't initially understand the formula. The more I looked at it I had a urikea moment.

PattyCake said:
I think I'm just confused because the book does it completely differently and my answer isn't the same. I think there Is error rounding. and I didn't initially understand the formula. The more I looked at it I had a urikea moment.
How do you remove this from the feed?

Well I hope you did. As to removing it, this thread will stay here in case someone else can get some use out of it at a later time.

Would you humor me? Walk me through this, so I know what's going on.

By the way, welcome to Physics Forums. :)

BiGyElLoWhAt said:
Would you humor me? Walk me through this, so I know what's going on.

So I used Coulombs equation.
F=kQQ/d^2
I knew that F=F+F
So I just wrote the equation
F=k/d^2(QQ+QQ)
I plugged the constant in for k. converted 19cm to meters so it changed to .19m.
Then plugged in ((-12)(2)+(2)(3))
but then I didn't change them to coulombs.
So that through me off.

So instead I plugged everything into the original format of the equation and did it in parts because it just was easier on the eyes.

I hope your humored.

=]
I am.

but are you sure I did it right?

PattyCake said:
but are you sure I did it right?
Assuming there are subscripts below your q's, and also assuming that (QQ+QQ) is in the numerator, then yes.

Likes PattyCake
Also assuming that you ultimately converted your charges correctly. Neglected that initially, because you, yourself, mentioned it. I figured I might as well include it.

Likes PattyCake

1. What is the formula for finding the magnitude of a force?

The formula for finding the magnitude of a force is F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration.

2. How do you find the direction of a force?

The direction of a force can be found by using a compass or by using the right-hand rule. The right-hand rule states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the first vector and your fingers in the direction of the second vector, your palm will face the direction of the resulting vector.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of a force?

Magnitude refers to the strength or size of a force, while direction refers to the orientation or angle at which the force is applied.

4. How do you find the magnitude and direction of multiple forces acting on an object?

To find the magnitude and direction of multiple forces, you can use vector addition. This involves breaking down each force into its x and y components and then adding them together to find the resulting magnitude and direction.

5. Can forces have negative magnitudes?

Yes, forces can have negative magnitudes. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the coordinate system being used.