Find Point c that satisfies the Mean Value Theorem

In summary, the point "c" that satisfies the Mean Value Theorem for Derivatives for the function f(x) = (x-1)/(x+1) on the interval [4,5] is c = 4.48. To solve for c, the derivative of f(x) is found to be f'(x) = 2/(x+1)^2 and the values of f(4) = 3/5 and f(5) = 2/3 are substituted in the equation f'(c) = (f(b) - f(a))/(b-a). Solving for c using the quadratic formula gives two values, 3.475 and -7.475, but after careful calculation
Schaus

Homework Statement

Find the point "c" that satisfies the Mean Value Theorem For Derivatives for the function
## f(x) = \frac {x-1} {x+1}## on the interval [4,5].
Answer - c = 4.48

Homework Equations

##x = \frac {-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 -4ac}} {2a}##
##f'(c) = \frac { f(b) - f(a)} {b-a}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the derivative
##f'(x) = \frac {2} {(x+1)^2}##
a) ## f(4) = \frac {4-1} {4+1} = \frac {3} {5}##
b) ## f(5) = \frac {5-1} {5+1} = \frac {2} {3}##
Substituting in my values
## \frac {2} {(x+1)^2} = \frac { \frac {2} {3} - \frac {3} {5}} {5-4}##
## \frac {2} {(x+1)^2} = \frac {1} {15}##
## 30 = c^2 +2c +1##
## 0 = c^2 +2c -29##
##x = \frac {-2 \pm \sqrt{2^2 -(4)(1)(-29)}} {2(1)}##
Which gives me 3.475 and -7.475. I'm not sure where I went wrong, any help would be greatly appreciated. Neither one of there are in my interval and my solution says it needs to be 4.48.

Physics news on Phys.org
look the equation:
$$x = \frac {-2 \pm \sqrt{2^2 -(4)(1)(-29)}} {2(1)}$$
and solve it carefully

I swear I put that in my calculator a few times but this last time it worked... Thanks a lot anyways :)

1. What is the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that for a continuous and differentiable function on a closed interval, there exists a point within that interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. How is the Mean Value Theorem used to find point c?

The Mean Value Theorem can be used to find point c by setting the derivative of the function equal to the average rate of change over the interval and solving for c. This point c will satisfy the theorem and can be used to find the slope of the tangent line at that point.

3. Can the Mean Value Theorem be used for all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be used for continuous and differentiable functions on a closed interval. If a function is not continuous or differentiable, the theorem cannot be applied.

4. Are there any limitations to using the Mean Value Theorem?

Yes, the Mean Value Theorem can only be used to find a point c on a closed interval. It cannot be used to find multiple points or points outside of the given interval.

5. What is the significance of finding point c using the Mean Value Theorem?

Finding point c using the Mean Value Theorem allows us to determine the slope of the tangent line at that point, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. It also helps us to understand the relationship between the function and its derivative.