Find the angle made by two tangents

• Thread starter Calpalned
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angle
In summary: To find the angle between them, we can use the slope formula and the inverse tangent function:## tan(\theta) = \frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{-1-1}{1-1} = -1 #### \theta = tan^{-1}(-1) = \frac{\pi}{2} ##In summary, using the derivative of a parametric equation, we can calculate the slope at a given point. In this problem, we are looking for the angle between two tangents to a curve at the point (0,0). By using the slope formula and inverse tangent function, we find that the angle between the two tangents is 90 degrees, or ##\frac{\pi
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Find the angle made by the two tangents to the curve ##x=\sin2t## and ##y=\sin(2t)\cos(2t)## at the point ##(0,0)##

Homework Equations

##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{dt}}{\frac{dx}{dt}}##
(Derivative of a parametric equation)

The Attempt at a Solution

## x = \sin(2t) = 0 ## when ## t = 0, \frac{\pi}{2}, \pi,... ##
## y=\sin(2t)\cos(2t) = 0 ## at the same values of ## t##
Taking the derivative of the parametric equations by using the formula in part two, I get ##\frac{2\cos^2(2t)-2t\sin^2t}{2\cos(2t)}## I get to plug in any value of t, so I choose ##t=\pi/2##
With that t value, I get ## \frac{2(-1^2)-2(0)}{-2}## which is equal to ##-1##
Now I'll try ##t=0##, and I get ##1##. Using ##t=\pi## I also get one. Therefore, the angle must be between -1 and 1 and be equal to ## t = 0, \frac{\pi}{2}, \pi,... ##
My answer is 0.
The correct answer is ##\frac{\pi}{2}##
Could someone please enlighten me as to my mistake? That would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about what you calculated...
The slope you got at one time was 1, the slope you got at another time was -1 (both at the same point).
What is the angle between a line of slope 1 and a line of slope -1?

You don't want to guess that because you got -1 and 1 as answers, the best thing to do is average them to get 0. -1 and 1 have nothing directly to do with angles, those are your slopes (dy/dx)

I see! The angle between them is 90 degrees. Thank you so much.

Brian T said:
What is the angle between a line of slope 1 and a line of slope -1?

Now I get it! The angle is 90 degrees. Thank you so much!

Calpalned said:
Now I get it! The angle is 90 degrees. Thank you so much!

Glad to help. and just so you can visualize the parametrization:
http://www4b.wolframalpha.com/Calculate/MSP/MSP11162061a3322c6679i6000012f58ad84fgbh939?MSPStoreType=image/gif&s=64&w=286.&h=97.&cdf=Animation
We have two lines that cross the origin, with the slopes that you figured out.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the definition of "Find the angle made by two tangents"?

The angle made by two tangents refers to the angle formed by two lines that intersect at a point on the circumference of a circle, where both lines are tangent to the circle at that point.

How do I calculate the angle made by two tangents?

To calculate the angle made by two tangents, you can use the formula: angle = 1/2 x (Arc measure 1 + Arc measure 2). The arc measures can be found by using the intersecting points of the tangents and the circumference of the circle.

What is the relationship between the angle made by two tangents and the radius of the circle?

The angle made by two tangents is always equal to half of the intercepted arc, which is also equal to half of the central angle formed by the radius of the circle.

Can there be multiple angles made by two tangents on a circle?

Yes, there can be multiple angles made by two tangents on a circle. This is because a circle has infinite points on its circumference, and each point can form a different angle with the tangents.

What real-life applications use the concept of finding the angle made by two tangents?

The concept of finding the angle made by two tangents is commonly used in engineering and construction, such as designing circular buildings or structures, and in navigation to calculate the direction of travel between two points on a map.