Find the angles of the triangle

In summary, The angles of a triangle can be found using the vectors √3(a x b) and b-(a.b)a, where a is a unit vector and b is a non-zero vector not parallel to a. The angle between these two sides is found to be 90°, while the other two angles are independent of the vectors and can be calculated using the dot product and magnitudes of the sides. The length of one side of the triangle is found to be √3, and the other two sides scale with the angle between a and b. Subtracting the component of b in the direction of a from b leaves the perpendicular component, which is used to calculate the angle between the sides.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let a be a unit vector and b be a non-zero vector not parallel to a. Find the angles of the triangle, whose two sides are represented by the vectors √3(a x b) and b-(a.b)a

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The third side will be equal to [itex]\sqrt{3}(a \times b) - \left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex]

Now taking the dot product of the given two sides will give me zero so the angle between them is 90°. But what about the other two angles? Even if I take the dot product of the remaining sides pairwise it will not give me an expression which can be evaluated as I don't know the lengths of sides of the triangle.

Likes 1 person
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the length of the sides in terms of a and b, that is sufficient to find an expression for the angle.
I did not calculate it, but my intuition is that you will get a result independent of a and b.

mfb said:
my intuition is that you will get a result independent of a and b.
I don't think that is borne out, but does it matter? Why cannot the answer be in terms of a and b?

haruspex said:
I don't think that is borne out, but does it matter? Why cannot the answer be in terms of a and b?

It can, but a is unit vector and the result will contain b in the form of b2/b2 :devil:

ehild

ehild said:
It can, but a is unit vector and the result will contain b in the form of b2/b2 :devil:

ehild

OK, I see it now. Must have made an algebraic error. b - (a.b)a is merely the component of b perpendicular to a. The vector axb only depends on that component of b.

Exactly, and therefore |b| does not influence the angles. |a| is known, and the other lengths scale properly with the angle between a and b, so the result is independent of the vectors.

mfb said:
Exactly, and therefore |b| does not influence the angles. |a| is known, and the other lengths scale properly with the angle between a and b, so the result is independent of the vectors.

Can you please help me out? I'm still not getting it.

mfb said:
You know the length of the sides in terms of a and b
Did you calculate that?

mfb said:
Did you calculate that?

No. I mean I don't know how to calculate that? My only guess is length of one side of the triangle might be √3. I'm not sure. I have no idea about length of other two sides.

utkarshakash said:
No. I mean I don't know how to calculate that? My only guess is length of one side of the triangle might be √3. I'm not sure. I have no idea about length of other two sides.

Please post your attempt at calculating the angle between, say, [itex]\sqrt{3}(a \times b) - \left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex] and [itex]\left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex]

haruspex said:
Please post your attempt at calculating the angle between, say, [itex]\sqrt{3}(a \times b) - \left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex] and [itex]\left\{ b-(a.b)a \right\}[/itex]

OK. I took the dot product of the two sides (posted by you) and got something like this

[itex] \left( \vec{a} . \vec{b} \right) ^2 - | \vec{b} |^2 [/itex]

which after further simplification yields [itex]-b^2 sin^2 \theta [/itex], where θ is the angle between a and b.

Now, to get the angle between these two sides I also need their magnitudes so that I can divide the obtained expression by product of their magnitudes to get the cosine of the angle between them.

Last edited:
Just continue with the calculations...
You need the magnitudes, how do you calculate them?

mfb said:
Just continue with the calculations...
You need the magnitudes, how do you calculate them?

I took the dot product of the sides with itself and got the magnitudes as [itex]4b^2 sin^2 \theta [/itex] and [itex] b^2 sin^2 \theta[/itex]. Now if I will divide the expression obtained earlier with the product of these two I get [itex]\dfrac{-1}{4 b^2 sin^2 \theta}[/itex]. Unfortunately, this still contains b. :cry:

I think your values are the squares of the magnitudes and not the actual magnitudes.

mfb said:
I think your values are the squares of the magnitudes and not the actual magnitudes.

Oh! That was a silly mistake. Thanks for pointing out.:approve:

utkarshakash said:
I took the dot product of the sides with itself and got the magnitudes as [itex]4b^2 sin^2 \theta [/itex] and [itex] b^2 sin^2 \theta[/itex]. Now if I will divide the expression obtained earlier with the product of these two I get [itex]\dfrac{-1}{4 b^2 sin^2 \theta}[/itex]. Unfortunately, this still contains b. :cry:

How do you evaluate ##(a \times b).(a \times b)##?

haruspex said:
b - (a.b)a is merely the component of b perpendicular to a.

Sorry for the dumb question but how do you conclude that? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
How do you evaluate ##(a \times b).(a \times b)##?
Useful rule: ##(a \times b).(a \times b) = a^2b^2sin^2(\theta) = a^2b^2(1-cos^2(\theta)) = a^2b^2-(a.b)^2##.
Sorry for the dumb question but how do you conclude that? :confused:

Since a is a unit vector, (a.b)a is the component of b in the direction of a. Its magnitude is |b|cos(θ) and its direction is that of a. Subtracting it from b leaves the component perpendicular to a.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
Useful rule: ##(a \times b).(a \times b) = a^2b^2sin^2(\theta) = a^2b^2(1-cos^2(\theta)) = a^2b^2-(a.b)^2##.

Since a is a unit vector, (a.b)a is the component of b in the direction of a. Its magnitude is |b|cos(θ) and its direction is that of a. Subtracting it from b leaves the component perpendicular to a.

Thanks haruspex. :)

Related to Find the angles of the triangle

1. What is the formula for finding the angles of a triangle?

The formula for finding the angles of a triangle is: Angle A = arccos[(b^2 + c^2 - a^2)/(2bc)], Angle B = arccos[(a^2 + c^2 - b^2)/(2ac)], Angle C = arccos[(a^2 + b^2 - c^2)/(2ab)].

2. Can you use any formula to find the angles of a triangle?

No, the formula for finding the angles of a triangle only works for triangles that have all three sides known. Other formulas may be needed for different types of triangles, such as right triangles or equilateral triangles.

3. How many angles do you need to know to find the remaining angles of a triangle?

You need to know at least two angles to find the third angle of a triangle. This is because the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to finding the angles of a triangle?

There is no shortcut or trick to finding the angles of a triangle. The formula must be used to accurately calculate the angles.

5. Can the angles of a triangle be negative?

No, the angles of a triangle cannot be negative. They are always measured in degrees, which are always positive values.