Find the Average Power absorbed by the 20k Resistor

In summary: The op-amp can source or sink current in order to make it's input voltages equal, because it has negative feedback. That is how op-amps work.
icesalmon
Homework Statement
Find the Average Power absorbed by the 20k Resistor
Relevant Equations
V = I*R
A = Vout/Vin
1607811359345.png

I wrote the following equations using node voltage, my issue is that I'm confused about why the RC branch at the output doesn't effect the value of the Gain for the amplifier; the equation involving VA / ( 20k - j12k ) is omitted in the solution.

IAC = IAB + IBC
V- = V+ = VB = VS
( VA-VC )/(20k -j12k) = ( VA - Vs )/(10k + j6k) + (Vs-Vc)/(2k+j4k)
Vc = Vground = 0V
(VA)/(20k-j12k) = (VA-Vs)/(10k + j6k) + (Vs-Vc)/(2k+j4k)

Physics news on Phys.org
If the opamp is ideal, which apparently it is, its output impedance is zero--it's an ideal voltage source so any impedance connected from the output (VA) to ground has no effect on the rest of the circuit.

Did you solve your equations and did they give the right answer?

Last edited:
Likes DaveE
icesalmon said:
IAC = IAB + IBC
Nope. Try again.
KVL says that voltages added in a complete loop must sum to zero.
KCL says that currents flowing into a circuit node must sum to zero.

If I was solving this problem, I would just name all of those branch impedances, like ZBC = 2KΩ + j4KΩ, etc. Then I would solve the problem in terms those named impedances. So, for example, the current through ZBC would be Vs/ZBC, etc. I wouldn't actually calculate any complex arithmetic until I had the answer expressed in an equation with those named impedances. It doesn't have to be done this way, of course, but it's a style that I think is easier, particularly if you have to find and fix mistakes.

DaveE said:
Nope. Try again.
KVL says that voltages added in a complete loop must sum to zero.
KCL says that currents flowing into a circuit node must sum to zero.
Okay, I'm not sure which direction the currents actually move here.
IAB - IAC = IBC

The Electrician said:
If the opamp is ideal, which apparently it is, its output impedance is zero--it's an ideal voltage source so any impedance connected from the output (VA) to ground has no effect on the rest of the circuit.

Did you solve your equations and did they give the right answer?
My equations are incorrect, so am I wrong in interpreting Zout as 20k - j12k?

The op-amp has infinite input impedance, so no current flows into it's inputs. Therefore, the current through the 10K resistor HAS TO flow through the 2K resistor too.

icesalmon said:
My equations are incorrect, so am I wrong in interpreting Zout as 20k - j12k?
You have both defined and questioned the definition of Zout in a single sentence, that doesn't make sense. Sure you can name 20k - j12k as Zout.

DaveE said:
The op-amp has infinite input impedance, so no current flows into it's inputs. Therefore, the current through the 10K resistor HAS TO flow through the 2K resistor too.
ah okay, so:
IBC = IAB
VBC/(j4k + 2k) = VAB/(10k + j6k)
Where ZBC = j4k + 2k and ZAB = 10k+ j6k

icesalmon said:
ah okay, so:
IBC = IAB
VBC/(j4k + 2k) = VAB/(10k + j6k)
Where ZBC = j4k + 2k and ZAB = 10k+ j6k
Yes, work from that. You will want to know what the op-amp output voltage is to determine what the 20K resistor power is.

DaveE said:
Yes, work from that. You will want to know what the op-amp output voltage is to determine what the 20K resistor power is.
i'm still confused about what happens to the current when it reaches node A
Is VAB/ZAB = VAC/ZAC?

icesalmon said:
i'm still confused about what happens to the current when it reaches node A
Is VAB/ZAB = VAC/ZAC?
The op-amp can source or sink current in order to make it's input voltages equal, because it has negative feedback. That is how op-amps work.

Likes icesalmon
nevermind, I think I got it. The purpose of an amplifier is to establish a larger voltage at the output (VA in this case so VA > VB meaning current is driven from node A to node B and through to node C and also from node A to node C through the RC path. it doesn't travel through that feedback (AB) path from node B to A. sorry if this is confusing

What is the formula for finding the average power absorbed by a 20k resistor?

The formula for finding average power absorbed by a resistor is P = V^2/R, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, and R is resistance in ohms.

What is the unit of measurement for average power?

The unit of measurement for average power is watts (W).

How do I calculate the voltage across the 20k resistor?

To calculate the voltage across the resistor, you can use Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amps, and R is resistance in ohms.

Can I use the same formula to find the average power for any resistor?

Yes, the formula P = V^2/R can be used to find the average power absorbed by any resistor, regardless of its value.

What is the significance of finding the average power absorbed by a resistor?

Finding the average power absorbed by a resistor allows us to understand how much energy is being dissipated by the resistor and how much power is being used in a circuit.