Power Source, Current Source and Resistor in parallel

In summary, the circuit shown in Figure P1.68 has a voltage source of 12V and a current source of 4A with a resistance of 8 ohms. Using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law and Current Law, the current through the resistor is determined to be -1.5A, with power consumption of 18 watts. The voltage source supplies 9.5A and consumes -114 watts, while the current source consumes -96 watts. It is important to note that the 8 in the problem is a resistance, not a current, and proper units must be used in power calculations. There is no specific rule for assigning power consumption or generation for a current source.
macedonia914

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit shown in Figure P1.68. Find the current i_R flowing through the resistor. Find the power for each element in the circuit. Which elements are absorbing energy?
V_source=12 V
I_source=4A
R=8 ohms

Here is a picture of 1.68

Homework Equations

P=IV
P=(I^2)*R
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I did first was I set up two KVL loops, one in the left side which consists of of both the Voltage Source and the Current Source and the other in the right side of the loop.
1.) 4(R_current source) - 12V = 0V
2.) 12V + R( i_R) = 0V

Solving the second equation I see get that i_R= -1.5A
Then using passive sign convention I get that P_resistor= ((-1.5)^2)*8= 18 => the resistor is drawing 18 Watts.

Solving the first loop it is apparent that no matter what the resistance is in the current source the outcome of V=IR is going to be 12.

To get the current through the voltage source I did a KCL at the node above the voltage source. Doing this I got that I_current source = I_voltage + i_R
with i_R going in the direction indicated in Figure 1.68 and I_voltage going from the negative terminal to the positive terminal of the voltage source.

which is turns into 8= I_voltage - 1.5 => I_voltage= 9.5 A

P_Voltage= -(9.5)(12V)= -114 W

And P_current= (8)(12V)= - 96 W

As you can see the power of the circuit does not equal zero and thus I am doing something very very wrong.

Attachments

• 20160215_172353 v2.jpg
    20160215_172353 v2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 1,017
Physics news on Phys.org
If there's 4A going from bottom to top on the left side and 1.5A going from bottom to top on the right side then doesn't conservation of current require the current going through the voltage source to be 4A+1.5A = 5.5A from top to bottom?
macedonia914 said:
which is turns into 8= I_voltage - 1.5 => I_voltage= 9.5 A
That doesn't look correct. The 8 in the problem is a resistance, not a current.

Ahhh, wow I must have left the units off and just rushed my work. Alright that means when I am doing my power calculations would the power supplied by the voltage source would be (5.5 A)*(12V) and the power consumed by the current source would be (4A)*(12V) and the power consumed by the resistor would be (8 ohm)^2*(1.5A).

Thanks for the help. Also is there a good rule of thumb for assigning the power consumption or generation of a current source?

1. What is the difference between a power source and a current source?

A power source is a device that supplies energy to a circuit, while a current source is a device that maintains a constant flow of electrical current. In other words, a power source provides the potential for electricity to flow, while a current source controls the amount of current flowing in the circuit.

2. How are power sources and current sources connected in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, power sources and current sources are connected to the same points in the circuit. This means that the positive terminals of all power sources and current sources are connected to each other, and the negative terminals are also connected to each other.

3. What is the purpose of a resistor in a parallel circuit?

A resistor in a parallel circuit limits the flow of current in the circuit. This allows for different amounts of current to flow through different branches of the circuit, depending on the resistance of each branch. This can be useful for controlling the overall current and voltage in the circuit.

4. How do you calculate the total resistance of resistors in parallel?

The total resistance of resistors in parallel can be calculated using the formula 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances of each resistor. This means that the total resistance will always be less than the smallest individual resistance in the circuit.

5. Can a power source and a current source be connected in series?

Yes, a power source and a current source can be connected in series. In this case, the positive terminal of the power source is connected to the positive terminal of the current source, and the negative terminal of the power source is connected to the negative terminal of the current source. This allows for a constant current flow while also providing the potential for electricity to flow through the circuit.