Find the Electric power of the Current source

In summary, the conversation discusses an electrical network and the task of finding the electric power of E and the electric power of the current source. The current in each resistor is known, but help is needed to find the power produced by the current source. The voltage across R4 is determined to be 1.6v, and it is advised to use KVL to find the voltage across the current source. It is determined that R4 does not need to be included in the calculation because it is connected in parallel to the current source.
omni
in the picture you can see the electrical network.
in blue is the Current of each side of the electrical network. (did it with loop equations)
i asked to find the Electric power of E and the Electric power of the Current source.

so for E i found it and i got pe=11.4w.

i also know what is the Current in each resistor.

i have no problem to find the electric power of voltage source, but for current source i need some help.

thanks.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
omni said:
i also know what is the Current in each resistor.
That's good. What is the current in R4? And therefore, what is the voltage across R4?

the current in R4 is 0.2A and the voltage across R4 is 0.2*8=1.6v

do i correct ?

thanks.

omni said:
the current in R4 is 0.2A and the voltage across R4 is 0.2*8=1.6v

do i correct ?

thanks.
I don't know if it's correct (unless you want to show all your work so far), but knowing the voltage across R4 should help you with finding the power produced by the current source.

ok so just tell me how is help me to find the current source?

the final answer need to be P( of the current source)=36.9w.

thanks

You need to find the voltage that appears across the current source. A path can be drawn from one terminal of the current source through RL and R3 and back to the current source. Use KVL around that path.

the voltage that appears across the current source, i get 18v (if i include R4)

but if i take only RL and R3 i get 16.4v and then multiply it by 2.25A i get that the Plo=36.9w and for real this is the correct answer.

can you explain me why i not need to include R4?

thank you.

omni said:
the voltage that appears across the current source, i get 18v (if i include R4)

but if i take only RL and R3 i get 16.4v and then multiply it by 2.25A i get that the Plo=36.9w and for real this is the correct answer.

can you explain me why i not need to include R4?

thank you.

R4 is connected to the same nodes as the current source (they're in parallel). The path that you want should have ends that start at one node (B) and end at the other (A), and not 'close the gap'.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41354&stc=1&d=1322587471.jpg

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 516
great answer thank you :)

Related to Find the Electric power of the Current source

1. What is the definition of electric power?

Electric power is the rate at which electrical energy is transferred or consumed. It is measured in watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the voltage (V) by the current (I).

2. How is electric power related to the current source?

The electric power of a current source is the amount of energy it can supply or consume in a given amount of time. It is directly proportional to the current flowing through the source and the voltage across it.

3. How do you calculate the electric power of a current source?

The electric power of a current source can be calculated by multiplying the voltage across the source by the current flowing through it. This can also be expressed as P = VI.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric power?

Electric power is measured in watts (W), which is equivalent to one joule (J) of energy per second.

5. Can the electric power of a current source be negative?

Yes, the electric power of a current source can be negative if it is consuming energy instead of supplying it. This can happen if the source is connected in a circuit with a higher voltage source, causing it to act as a load instead of a source.