Find the equation of the tangent plane

In summary, the goal is to find the equation of the plane tangent to a given surface at a given point. This can be done by using the formula ##w-w_0 = F_x(x-x_0) + F_y(y-y_0) + F_z(z-z_0)##, where ##F_x, F_y, F_z## are the partial derivatives of the surface equation with respect to ##x, y, z## respectively, evaluated at the given point. It is important to note that the values of these partial derivatives are not 0, but rather a constant that depends on the given point. By plugging in the values of the partial derivatives and the given point into the formula, we can find the
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane tangent to ##x^2+3y^2+6z^2=67## at the point ##(1, 2,3)##

Homework Equations

##w-w_0 = F_x(x-x_0) + F_y(y-y_0) + F_z(z-z_0) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above formula, I get ##w-67 = 2x(x-1) + 6y(y-2) + 12z (z-3)## = ##w-67 = 2(x-1) + 12(y-2) + 36 (z-3)## Did I use the wrong formula? If so, how can I determine which formula to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
To start, it looks like your tangent plane equation is in ℝ4 when the initial surface is in ℝ3.

You want to use the tangent plane equation for one of the variables in terms of the other two, and rewrite the surface equation accordingly

I want to quickly confirm: ##ℝ^1## means ##y = f(x)##, ##ℝ^2## means ##z = f(x,y)##, ##ℝ^3## means ##w = f(x,y,z)##.

So I should use the formula ##z-z_0 = F_x(x-x_0) + F_y(y-y_0)##?

Post deleted

1 is the set of all numbers (in one dimension, such as a number line) just x
2 is two sets of the previously mentioned (one number line as x, the other as y // whatever you want to call them). y = f(x)
3 is three sets of the same (so x,y,z) z = f(x,y)

And yes, that would be (one of the) right formula to use

Brian T said:
1 is the set of all numbers (in one dimension, such as a number line) just x
2 is two sets of the previously mentioned (one number line as x, the other as y // whatever you want to call them). y = f(x)
3 is three sets of the same (so x,y,z) z = f(x,y)

And yes, that would be (one of the) right formula to use
I see... I was one dimension too low.

Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the plane tangent to ##x^2+3y^2+6z^2=67## at the point ##(1, 2,3)##

Homework Equations

##w-w_0 = F_x(x-x_0) + F_y(y-y_0) + F_z(z-z_0) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the above formula, I get ##w-67 = 2x(x-1) + 6y(y-2) + 12z (z-3)## = ##w-67 = 2(x-1) + 12(y-2) + 36 (z-3)## Did I use the wrong formula? If so, how can I determine which formula to use?

You are using the wrong ##F_x, F_y, F_z##. These are constants because they are evaluated at the point ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)##, not at the variable point ##(x,y,z)##. In other words, you need to write
[tex] 0 = F_x(\vec{p}_0) \, (x-x_0) + F_y(\vec{p}_0) \, (y-y_0) + F_z(\vec{p}_0) (x-z_0) [/tex]
where ##\vec{p}_0 = (x_0,y_0,z_0)##.

Ray Vickson said:
You are using the wrong ##F_x, F_y, F_z##. These are constants because they are evaluated at the point ##(x_0,y_0,z_0)##, not at the variable point ##(x,y,z)##. In other words, you need to write
[tex] 0 = F_x(\vec{p}_0) \, (x-x_0) + F_y(\vec{p}_0) \, (y-y_0) + F_z(\vec{p}_0) (x-z_0) [/tex]
where ##\vec{p}_0 = (x_0,y_0,z_0)##.
So ##F_x(\vec p_0) = ## the partial derivative of the given equation with respect to ##x##, in which I plug in ##x=1## ? If that's the case, the whole answer would be 0 + 0 + 0 = 0

Calpalned said:
So ##F_x(\vec p_0) = ## the partial derivative of the given equation with respect to ##x##, in which I plug in ##x=1## ? That will be zero right?
Wrong: ##F(x,y,z) = x^2 + 3 y^2 + 6 z^2##, so ##F_x = 2x## is not 0 at ##x = 1##!

Ray Vickson said:
Wrong: ##F(x,y,z) = x^2 + 3 y^2 + 6 z^2##, so ##F_x = 2x## is not 0 at ##x = 1##!
It makes sense how ##F_x = 2x##, but where is my blunder?. I thought it was zero because if ##F(x,y,z)=x^2+3y^2+6z^2 = 67##, then ##F_x = 2x + 0 + 0 = 0 ## thus ##F_x = 2x = 0 ## so ##F_x = 0##

Calpalned said:
It makes sense how ##F_x = 2x##, but where is my blunder?. I thought it was zero because if ##F(x,y,z)=x^2+3y^2+6z^2 = 67##, then ##F_x = 2x + 0 + 0 = 0 ## thus ##F_x = 2x = 0 ## so ##F_x = 0##

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. We have ##F_x = 2x##, so if ##x = 1## we have ##F_x = 2##, if ##x = 17,000,000## we have ##F_x = 34,000,000##, and If ##x = 0## we have ##F_x = 0##.

You have a surface ##F(x,y,z) = \text{const.}## If a point ##(x,y,z) = (a,b,c)## is on the surface, a neighboring point ##(x,y,z) = (a+\Delta a, b + \Delta b, c + \Delta c)## is on the same surface if the function ##G(\Delta a , \Delta b, \Delta c) = 0##, where
[tex] G(\Delta a, \Delta b, \Delta c) \equiv F(a + \Delta a, b + \Delta b, c + \Delta c) - F(a,b,c) . [/tex]
In other words, in order to remain on the surface the value of ##F## should not change.

For small ("infinitesimal") ##\Delta a, \Delta b, \Delta c## the condition of staying on the surface becomes
[tex] 0 = F_x \Delta a + F_y \Delta b + F_z \Delta c , [/tex]
where ##F_x = F_x(a,b,c)##, etc. Whether or not ##\Delta a, \Delta b, \Delta c## are small, that equation gives a plane in the "variables" ##\Delta a, \Delta b, \Delta c##. When the ##\Delta##-variables are small, that plane essentially coincides with the surface, but when they are large the plane and the surface diverge (i.e., grow increasingly farther apart). That is why we call it the tangent plane: it agrees with the surface over a small patch.

It might help to distinguish the function F and its partials from their values at a particular point.
Function: F(x, y, z) = x2 + 3y2 + 4z2
A partial: Fx(x, y, z) = 2x

At the point (1, 2, 3)
F(1, 2, 3) = 12 + 3 * 22 + 4 * 32 = 49
Fx(1, 2, 3) = 2 * 1 = 2

Ray Vickson said:
I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. .

## F_x = 0## if I take the partial derivative with respect to f of ## f(x,y,z) = x^2+3y^2+6z^2 = 67 ## The derivative of ##3y^2, 6z^2## and ##67## are all equal to zero, so ##F_x = 2x + 0 + 0 = 0## and therefore ##F_x = 0##. I want to know what the error is in this method.

The correct method that you indicated makes sense too. ##F(x,y,z) = x^2+3y^2+6z^2 ## therefore ##F_x = 2x ## However, how did you ignore the constant value of 67?

Calpalned said:
## F_x = 0## if I take the partial derivative with respect to f of ## f(x,y,z) = x^2+3y^2+6z^2 = 67 ##
With respect to f? The independent variables are x, y, and z. Also, F is the function, so you shouldn't be talking about f(x, y,z).
Calpalned said:
The derivative of ##3y^2, 6z^2## and ##67## are all equal to zero, so ##F_x = 2x + 0 + 0 = 0## and therefore ##F_x = 0##. I want to know what the error is in this method.
I think you might be confused about what exactly the function is. I believe that F is defined this way: F(x, y, z) = x2 + 3y2 + 6z2. This function maps R3 to R1, which was alluded to by Brian T earlier in this thread. That means that a graph of the function would require four dimensions.

In this problem, we are dealing with a level surface for which F(x, y, z) = 67. This does not mean that the function is x2 + 3y2 + 6z2 = 67.
Calpalned said:
The correct method that you indicated makes sense too. ##F(x,y,z) = x^2+3y^2+6z^2 ## therefore ##F_x = 2x ## However, how did you ignore the constant value of 67?
Because it is not part of the function's definition.

Calpalned said:
## F_x = 0## if I take the partial derivative with respect to f of ## f(x,y,z) = x^2+3y^2+6z^2 = 67 ## The derivative of ##3y^2, 6z^2## and ##67## are all equal to zero, so ##F_x = 2x + 0 + 0 = 0## and therefore ##F_x = 0##. I want to know what the error is in this method.

I am going to try to clear this up once and for all, so please read the following carefully and slowly. Make sure you read only what I actually write, and not what you imagine I write or think I should write.

Let's start with a function ##f(x,y,z) = x^2 + 3 y^2 + 6z^2##, and note that I write ##f##, not ##F##, because I want so start fresh, like it were a new problem. Here is a list of five points in ##(x,y,z)##-space:
[tex]
\begin{array}{ccc}
(x,y,z) & f(x,y,z) & f_x(x,y,z)\\
(0,0,0) & 0 & 0 \\
(1,1,1) & 10 & 2 \\
(-2,2,1) & 22 & -4 \\
(1,2,3) & 67 & 2 \\
(4,1,3) & 73 & 8
\end{array}
[/tex]
Here, of course, ##f_x (x,y,z) \equiv \partial f(x,y,z) / \partial x##.

The point ##(1,2,3)## is on the surface ##f(x,y,z) = 67##, while the other four points are not on the surface. Did we need to know anything about the surface in order to compute ##f## and ##f_x##? Did the value '67' affect the computations of ##f## and ##f_x## in any way at all? Do we always have ##f_x = 2x##, whether or not the point ##(x,y,z)## is on the surface ##f = 67##?

Related to Find the equation of the tangent plane

1. What is the equation of the tangent plane?

The equation of the tangent plane is a mathematical expression that represents the slope and direction of a tangent line to a surface at a specific point. It can be used to determine the behavior of a function at a given point on a surface.

2. How can I find the equation of the tangent plane?

To find the equation of the tangent plane, you will need the coordinates of the point of tangency and the partial derivatives of the function at that point. Using these values, you can plug them into the equation of the tangent plane formula to get the equation.

3. What are the steps to find the equation of the tangent plane?

The steps to find the equation of the tangent plane are:

1. Identify the point of tangency on the surface.
  2. Find the partial derivatives of the function at that point.
  3. Plug the values into the equation of the tangent plane formula: z = f(a,b) + (x-a)fx(a,b) + (y-b)fy(a,b).

4. Can the equation of the tangent plane be used for any type of surface?

Yes, the equation of the tangent plane can be used for any type of surface, including curved surfaces. As long as the surface is differentiable at the point of tangency, the equation can be applied.

5. How is the equation of the tangent plane useful in real-world applications?

The equation of the tangent plane is useful in real-world applications as it allows us to approximate the behavior of a function at a specific point on a surface. This can be helpful in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics, where understanding the slope and direction of a surface is important for creating accurate models and simulations.