Find the first eight coefficients of the power series expansion.

In summary, the problem asks for the first eight coefficients of the power series expansion of the solution to the differential equation y'' + xy' + y = 0, with given initial-value conditions. The solution provided uses power series manipulation and a recurrence relation to obtain the coefficients, but there is uncertainty about the values of a_0 and a_1. Upon closer examination, it appears that the author made a mistake and a_0 should equal 0 instead of 1. After this correction, the solution is correct.
s3a

Homework Statement

Problem:
Find the first eight coefficients (i.e. a_0, a_1, a_2, ..., a_7) of the power series expansion

y = ##Σ_{n = 0}^{∞}## [##a_n## ##x^n##]

of the solution to the differential equation

y'' + xy' + y = 0

subject to the initial-value conditions y(0) = 0, y'(0) = 1.

Solution:
The solution is attached as TheSolution.jpg.

Homework Equations

Power series manipulation.
Recurrence relation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand everything the solution says except how ##a_0## and ##a_1## were obtained. That is, I don't think understand what the author of the solutions is doing in the following step.:

y(0) = ##a_0## = 1
y'(0) = ##a_1## = 1

It seems like the initial-conditions are being used, but did the author make a mistake? I ask, because it seems to me that ##a_0## should equal 0 instead of 1.

Assuming the author of the solutions is correct, could someone please tell me what the logic is in getting those values? Looking at similar problems in my textbook, I notice what seems to be like constants that are not part of the sums in front of what seems to be two linearly independent solutions, and I don't understand what is going on.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

P.S.
If more detail is needed, just ask!

P.P.S
Also, is it just me, or is the author answering a slightly different question than what the question poses?

Attachments

• TheSolution.jpg
    TheSolution.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like the solution is correct up until a certain point, except clearly [itex]a_0 = 0[/itex] here.

Alright, good; I thought I wasn't understanding something!

Thanks!

Related to Find the first eight coefficients of the power series expansion.

What is a power series expansion?

A power series expansion is a mathematical representation of a function as an infinite sum of powers of a variable. It is often used to approximate a function in terms of simpler known functions.

Why is it important to find the first eight coefficients of a power series expansion?

The first eight coefficients of a power series expansion can give us a good approximation of the function within a certain interval. They can also help us understand the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values.

How do you find the first eight coefficients of a power series expansion?

To find the first eight coefficients, we can use the Taylor series formula or the Maclaurin series formula, depending on the center of the expansion. We need to take derivatives of the function up to the eighth order and evaluate them at the center point.

Can the first eight coefficients of a power series expansion be used to find the coefficients for higher powers?

Yes, the first eight coefficients can be used as a starting point to find the coefficients for higher powers. We can use the recurrence relation between the coefficients or use a computer program to calculate them.

What are some applications of finding the first eight coefficients of a power series expansion?

Power series expansions are used in a variety of fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can help us model and approximate various phenomena, solve differential equations, and make predictions about the behavior of a system.