How Do You Calculate Currents Through Multiple Resistors in a Circuit?

• Thread starter YamiBustamante
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Currents
In summary, to find the currents I1, I2, I3, and I4 through resistors R1, R2, R3, and R4 respectively, with values E = 12.0 V, R1 = 35.0 Ω, R2 = 22.0 Ω, R3 = 41.0 Ω, and R4 = 14.0 Ω, you need to first calculate the equivalent resistance Rp of R1 in parallel to (R3+R4), then the total resistance Rtot of R2 in series with Rp. From there, you can use the formula I = ε/R to find the total current, and then allocate it between the resistors
YamiBustamante

Homework Statement

[/B]
Use the following values: E = 12.0 V , R1 = 35.0 Ω , R2 = 22.0 Ω , R3 = 41.0 Ω , and R4 = 14.0 Ω .

Find the following currents:
  • the current I1 through the resistor of resistance R1 = 35.0 Ω
  • the current I2 through the resistor of resistance R2 = 22.0 Ω
  • the current I3 through the resistor of resistance R3 = 41.0 Ω
  • the current I4 through the resistor of resistance R4 = 14.0 Ω

Homework Equations

ε - RI = ΔV
I = ε/R
R being the resistance
I being the current

The Attempt at a Solution

So from what I understand I_3 = I_4 and I_2 = I_2 + I_3 (or I_4 since they're equal)
Not sure if my math is correct.

I tried using I = ε/R for all of them.
For
I_1 = 0.343
And,
1_3 (or 1_4) = 12/(41+14) = 0.218
Finally,
1_2 = 0.218 + 0.218 = 0.436

Tried using ε - RI = ΔV and I got the same answer for I_1 and I_3/I_4, but I get different answers I_2.
Is my math wrong?

Attachments

• 1082045.jpg
    1082045.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 749
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with KVL?

YamiBustamante said:
I tried using I = ε/R for all of them.
For
I_1 = 0.343
You got that by dividing 12V by 35 ohms. That's not correct, because the formula only works when the resistance is measured over the same part of the circuit as the Potential Diff. You've used the total PD between the terminals but only used the resistance for R1, which is only a small part of the circuit between the terminals.

Do you know how to work out the resistance of parallel wires?
If so, first work out the resistance Rp of the set of wires that is R1 in parallel to (R3+R4).
Then work out the resistance Rtot of R2 in series with Rp.
Then you can work out the total current from E and Rtot.
Then work backwards to allocate the current between resistors.

Related to How Do You Calculate Currents Through Multiple Resistors in a Circuit?

1. What is the purpose of finding the following currents?

Finding the following currents is important in understanding the flow of electricity in a circuit. It allows us to analyze the behavior of different components and ensure that the circuit is functioning correctly.

2. How do you calculate the following currents?

The following currents can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, I = V/R. This equation can be applied to individual components or the entire circuit to find the following currents.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel currents?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout the circuit, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided among the different branches. This means that in a series circuit, the following currents are equal, but in a parallel circuit, they may differ.

4. How do you measure the following currents?

The following currents can be measured using a multimeter, which is a device that can measure voltage, resistance, and current. To measure the current, the multimeter is placed in series with the component or circuit being measured.

5. Why is it important to find the following currents in a circuit?

Finding the following currents is crucial in ensuring that the circuit is functioning correctly and efficiently. It also allows us to identify any potential issues or faulty components in the circuit. Additionally, it helps us understand the power consumption and distribution in the circuit, which is important for safety and energy efficiency.