Find the greatest value of argument- complex numbers

In summary, the conversation is about finding the center and radius of a shaded region, and determining the point with the greatest argument within that region. The conversation also includes a discussion of using a triangle to find the angle, and a suggestion for a quick way to check the answer.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Sketch the region that satisfies the inequalities ##|z|≤3## and ##Im z≥2##

hence find the greatest value of arg ##z## for points in this region in radians.
Relevant Equations
complex numbers
since ##|z|≤3## →##z=0+0i##, therefore we shall have centre##(0,0)## and radius ##3##,
find my sketch below,
1605180543459.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
first let me ask is the shading of the region correct?

The sketch is good. So now, which point in the shaded region has the greatest argument? Determine the angle by drawing a triangle.

1605181130206.png

will the angle ##m## give us the greatest argument, i think i have to make use of two congruent right angles...right?

It'd be easier to just find the angle in the triangle you drew on the left, and then add ##\pi/2##. Anyway, you know the hypotenuse (radius) and the vertical side, so you should be good to go.

etotheipi said:
It'd be easier to just find the angle in the triangle you drew on the left, and then add ##\pi/2##. Anyway, you know the hypotenuse (radius) and the vertical side, so you should be good to go.

the radius would be ##3## what of the vertical side...why can't i see it aaargh??:smile:...or by accurate drawing, i should be able to get the values...

chwala said:
the radius would be ##3## what of the vertical side...why can't i see it aaargh??:smile:...or by accurate drawing, i should be able to get the values...

It's 2, right? It coincides with your line ##Im(z) = 2##!

Likes Delta2 and chwala
bingo boss:cool:

• Love
Likes Delta2 and etotheipi
Just checking on this,
the least argument (in degrees) = $$tan ∅ = \frac {2}{2.23}=41.88^0$$
and largest argument (in degrees)= $$cos ∅ =\frac {2}{3}=48.19^0+90^0 = 138.19^0$$

A nice check here is if it was ##Im(z)=3/\sqrt{2}\approx 2.12##, then the argument would be 135 degrees. Since it's a little smaller than that, you have to rotate down the circle towards the x axis, and expect to get a slightly larger number.

I am not getting what you are saying, to find argument, we move in an anticlockwise manner from the start point ##(0,0)##...and my reference is on the second quadrant where have a right angle and i considered the sides, ##3,2## and ##\sqrt 5## to find the acute angle...I thought ##Im Z≥2##aaaaaaaaargh thanks Office...i now get your view. You were giving me a quick way of checking...happy new year mate:cool::cool:

Last edited:
chwala said:
I am not getting what you are saying, to find argument, we move in an anticlockwise manner from the start point ##(0,0)##...and my reference is on the second quadrant where have a right angle and i considered the sides, ##3,2## and ##\sqrt 5## to find the acute angle...

I think your answer is right, I'm just describing a way you can double check that you got at least close to the right answer (for the largest argument)

Likes chwala

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1.

2. How do you find the greatest value of argument in complex numbers?

To find the greatest value of argument in complex numbers, you need to find the number with the largest angle in the complex plane. This can be done by converting the complex numbers to polar form and then comparing the angles.

3. What is the difference between argument and modulus in complex numbers?

The argument of a complex number represents the angle that the number makes with the positive real axis in the complex plane. The modulus, on the other hand, represents the distance of the number from the origin in the complex plane.

4. Can the greatest value of argument in complex numbers be negative?

Yes, the greatest value of argument in complex numbers can be negative. This happens when the complex number lies in the third or fourth quadrant of the complex plane, where the argument is measured in a clockwise direction and can have negative values.

5. Why is finding the greatest value of argument in complex numbers important?

Finding the greatest value of argument in complex numbers is important because it helps us understand the behavior of complex numbers in the complex plane. It also allows us to compare and order complex numbers, which is useful in solving mathematical problems involving complex numbers.