Find the induced electromotive force (epsilon)

In summary: What's the area of the rectangle in terms of x and y? What is the total area as a function of x and y? Then, what's the EMF as a function of x, y, and t?In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inducted electromotive force for a slider on a slide with a 37 degree contour. The speed and length of the slide are provided, and the homework equations for finding the EMF are also given. The attempt at a solution includes a link to an image, but it is illegible. The expert suggests taking time to thoroughly prepare the problem description and asks for clarification on the intended position of the slider and time frame for finding the EMF. Finally, the
Xhulio644305
Untitled.png
Untitled.png
it is something like this but instead of the rectalve contour iswith the angle 37 degree!https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/114624 1. Homework Statement

the speed of the slide is 0.16 m/s
the length of the slide is 0.14 m
the angle of the contour is 37 degree

Homework Equations

inducted electromotoric force=-delta phi/delta time
phi=induction(B)*surface*cos alpha (alpha=0 degree)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxmarOZtFg5FdEJDWkNaRnVZX00/view?usp=sharing [/B]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. Your problem description is too vague. "something like this" is not good enough. There's no way to know what your 37° angle pertains to.

2. Your image of your attempt at solution is all but illegible (too dark, out of focus). If necessary, type in your solution and only provide images for diagrams.

gneill said:
1. Your problem description is too vague. "something like this" is not good enough. There's no way to know what your 37° angle pertains to.

2. Your image of your attempt at solution is all but illegible (too dark, out of focus). If necessary, type in your solution and only provide images for diagrams.
gneill said:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17.2 KB · Views: 457
It looks like the slider will lose contact with the two arms of the contour immediately after it passes the points AC. Is that intended?

Since the rate of change of the area of the closed loop will change with time, the EMF will change with time, too. Is there a particular instant in time or position of the slider for which you need to find the EMF?

You need to take your time to thoroughly prepare your problem description so that others can quickly and easily understand the details.

The slider will continue to to slide (mayby it can stretch?? I don't know ,but I am pretty sure that's not the case here) we have explained before in class what happens in a rectangle contour (the surface becomes l*dt*v and dt is being simplyfied with dt down and epsilon becomes -Blv) this is the exact thibg but ibstead of the S=l*dt*v it is more complicated because we should find the surface of the triangle above (right triangle with 37degree abgle ) this surface + the surface of yhe rectanglr should give a surface which has an dt inside (this dt sbould the be simplified with the dt down and should give the answer but this is fifficult to get a firmula with only one dt (this is mostly a trigonometric exercisr) si pls help because I am really stuck (my teacher gave it only to me this exc. Causev I am the best in my class and i can't let her down)

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you want to find the EMF at the specific instant that the line AC is 14 cm in length. Suppose that at that instant that the two legs of the right angle triangle are x and y, with y being coincident with the line AC. How might you solve for x given the angle and value for y?

upload_2017-3-16_17-10-55.png

Then, what's the area of the triangle in terms of x?

What is induced electromotive force (epsilon)?

Induced electromotive force, also known as induced emf or epsilon, is a phenomenon in which a changing magnetic field creates an electric current in a conductor.

How is induced electromotive force (epsilon) calculated?

Induced emf can be calculated using Faraday's Law of Induction, which states that the magnitude of the induced emf is equal to the rate of change of magnetic flux through a surface bounded by the conductor.

What factors affect the magnitude of induced electromotive force (epsilon)?

The magnitude of induced emf is affected by the rate of change of magnetic flux, the number of turns in the conductor, and the strength of the magnetic field.

What is the difference between induced electromotive force (epsilon) and electric potential difference?

Induced emf is created by a changing magnetic field, while electric potential difference is created by a difference in electric charge. Additionally, induced emf can only exist in a closed loop circuit, while electric potential difference can exist between any two points in an electric field.

What are some practical applications of induced electromotive force (epsilon)?

Induced emf is essential for the functioning of generators and transformers, and is also used in devices such as electric motors, induction cooktops, and wireless chargers. It is also used in scientific research to study electromagnetic phenomena.