Showing that a subgroup of Sym(4) is isomorphic to D_8

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary: So how to fix this?In summary, the set ##R## of all polynomials with integer coefficients in the independent variables ##x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4## is acted on by the group ##S_4## through the group action ##\sigma \cdot p(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = p(x_{\sigma(1)},x_{\sigma(2)},x_{\sigma(3)},x_{\sigma(4)})##. The stabilizer of the element ##x_1x_2 + x_3x_4## is found to be ##\{1,(12),(34),(12)(34),(13)(24
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##R## be the set of all polynomials with integer coefficients in the independent variables ##x_1, x_2, x_3, x_4##.
##S_4## acts on ##R## by the group action ##\sigma \cdot p(x_1,x_2,x_3,x_4) = p(x_{\sigma(1)},x_{\sigma(2)},x_{\sigma(3)},x_{\sigma(4)})##. Exhibit all permutations in ##S_4## that stabilize the element ##x_1x_2 + x_3x_4## and prove that they form a subgroup isomorphic to the dihedral group of order 8.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So, by listing the elements of ##S_4## and seeing how they act on ##x_1x_2+x_3x_4##, I found that the stabilizer of ##x_1x_2+x_3x_4## is ##\{1,(12),(34),(12)(34),(13)(24),(14)(23),(1324),(1423) \}##.

My problem is showing that this is isomorphic to the dihedral group of order 8. I think the correspondence is clear if we label the vertices of a square and consider the permutations as symmetries of the square, but I feel that exhibiting this 1-1 correspondence in that much detail is too computationally intensive and that there should be an easier way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
So, by listing the elements of ##S_4## and seeing how they act on ##x_1x_2+x_3x_4##, I found that the stabilizer of ##x_1x_2+x_3x_4## is ##\{1,(12),(34),(12)(34),(13)(24),(14)(23),(1324),(1423) \}##.

My problem is showing that this is isomorphic to the dihedral group of order 8. I think the correspondence is clear if we label the vertices of a square and consider the permutations as symmetries of the square, but I feel that exhibiting this 1-1 correspondence in that much detail is too computationally intensive and that there should be an easier way.
What is ##D_8\,##? And no, I'm not asking about the index, nor do I want to know that it is the dihedral group of order eight. Without this information, I'd say pin a screenshot of this Wiki page and you're done: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diedergruppe#Permutations-Darstellung
Just observe, that you have an odd numbering of the square: ##(12)## and ##(34)## are the diagonals and not neighboring points.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is Sym(4)?

Sym(4) is the symmetric group on four elements, also known as the group of permutations of four objects. It contains all possible ways of rearranging the four elements, which can be represented by a 4x4 matrix.

2. What is D_8?

D_8, also known as the dihedral group of order eight, is a group of symmetries that can be applied to a regular octagon. It contains eight elements and can also be represented by a 4x4 matrix.

3. What does it mean for a subgroup of Sym(4) to be isomorphic to D_8?

To show that a subgroup of Sym(4) is isomorphic to D_8 means that there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the subgroup and the elements of D_8, such that the group operations and structure are preserved.

4. How do you prove that a subgroup of Sym(4) is isomorphic to D_8?

To prove that a subgroup of Sym(4) is isomorphic to D_8, you need to show that the subgroup contains the same number of elements as D_8 and that the group operations and structure are preserved. This can be done by constructing a bijective function between the two groups and showing that it satisfies the group axioms.

5. What are some examples of subgroups of Sym(4) that are isomorphic to D_8?

There are several examples of subgroups of Sym(4) that are isomorphic to D_8, such as the subgroup generated by the permutations (1 2)(3 4) and (1 4)(2 3), or the subgroup consisting of the identity permutation and the permutation (1 2)(3 4). It is also possible to find other subgroups by constructing different combinations of permutations from Sym(4).