Find the power series in x for the general solution of (1+2x^2)y"+7xy'+2y=0

In summary, the conversation is about finding the power series in x for the general solution of a differential equation. The solution involves using a recurrence relation and treating even and odd terms separately. However, the provided solution is not the same as the one in the book and the speaker is unsure how to obtain the book's answer.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find the power series in x for the general solution of (1+2x^2)y"+7xy'+2y=0.

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll post my whole work.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is my work, I have more to post.

Attachments

• MM.jpg
    MM.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 492
This work comes first, the above one comes after this one.

Attachments

• MMM.jpg
    MMM.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 538
But I don't know how to get to the book's answer.

Attachments

• de3.jpg
    de3.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 426
You have the correct recurrence relation [tex]a_{2n} = - \frac{2n+1}{n+1}a_n.[/tex] You just haven't tried to solve it.

Recurrences of the form [tex]
a_{n+1} = f(n)a_n[/tex] have the solution [tex]
a_n = a_0\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} f(k)[/tex] where by convention [tex]
\prod_{k=0}^{-1} f(k) = 1.[/tex]
Recurrences of the form [tex]
a_{n+2} = f(n)a_n[/tex] can be turned into the above form by treating even and odd terms separately: First set [itex]n = 2m[/itex] and [itex]b_m = a_{2m}[/itex] to obtain [tex]
b_{m+1} = f(2m)b_m[/tex] and then set [itex]n = 2m+1[/itex] and [itex]c_m = a_{2m+1}[/itex] to obtain [tex]
c_{m+1} = f(2m+1)c_m.[/tex]

But that's not the answer in the book. How do I get the answer in the book?

Are you saying that [tex]
y(x) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty a_nx^n = \sum_{m=0}^\infty b_mx^{2m} + \sum_{m=0}^\infty c_mx^{2m+1}[/tex] with [itex]b_m[/itex] and [itex]c_m[/itex] obtained as I have suggested is not the answer in the book?

What do you get for [itex]b_m[/itex] and [itex]c_m[/itex]?

Related to Find the power series in x for the general solution of (1+2x^2)y"+7xy'+2y=0

What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that represents a function as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of a variable. It is typically used to approximate functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

What does it mean to find the power series in x for a general solution?

Finding the power series in x for a general solution means expressing the solution to a given differential equation as an infinite sum of terms involving powers of x. This allows for a more simplified and manageable form of the solution.

How do you find the power series in x for a general solution?

To find the power series in x for a general solution, you can use the method of Frobenius. This involves assuming a power series form for the solution and solving for the coefficients by substituting it into the given differential equation.

Why is it important to find the power series in x for a general solution?

Finding the power series in x for a general solution is important because it allows us to approximate the solution to a given differential equation with a simpler and more manageable form. This can be useful in various applications, such as in physics and engineering.

What is the general solution to the differential equation (1+2x^2)y'+7xy'+2y=0?

The general solution to this differential equation is y = C_1e^(-x^2) + C_2e^(-x^2)ln(x), where C_1 and C_2 are arbitrary constants. This can be found by solving for the power series in x using the method of Frobenius.