Find the rate of increase of the radius of the pool

In summary, when solving problems involving rates of change and physical dimensions, it is important to consistently use proper units and dimensional quantities. This helps ensure the validity of the calculations and makes it easier to spot errors. While it may be common in some math textbooks to omit units in intermediate steps, it is best practice to include them throughout the entire calculation.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached.
Relevant Equations
rate of change
1653395309101.png

My approach is as follows;

##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{dr}{da}⋅\dfrac{da}{dt}##

##\dfrac{dr}{da}=\dfrac{1}{2πr}##

##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{1}{2πr}⋅15##

##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{7.5}{πr}##

and noting that ##r= \sqrt{\dfrac {50}{π}}##

##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{7.5}{12.533}=0.598## cm/s

*kindly note that i do not have the solutions ..

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Use units, please.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Seems fine to me.

Delta2 said:
Seems fine to me.
1653400994040.png

That's 3 minutes after my post.
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: see attached.
Relevant Equations:: rate of change

View attachment 301874

My approach is as follows;

##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{dr}{da}⋅\dfrac{da}{dt}##

##\dfrac{dr}{da}=\dfrac{1}{2πr}##

##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{7.5}{πr}##

and noting that ##r= \sqrt{\dfrac {50}{π}}##

##\dfrac{dr}{dt}=\dfrac{7.5}{12.533}=0.598## cm/s

*kindly note that i do not have the solutions ..
I mean, use units throughout your calculation. Do not just slap them on at the end and assume that they are correct. For example, this
chwala said:
should read
$$
\frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{1}{2\pi r} (15\ {\rm cm}^2/{\rm s})
$$

Orodruin said:
Use units, please.
@Delta2 I had not included the units initially...I just amended. That's why this comment is valid.

@Orodruin I think the units at the end should be good enough...I don't think it's a standard math practise for students to show or rather indicate units at each and every step of their working.

ok ok, but still think @Orodruin is a bit sort of pedantic but yeah if we want to be absolutely correct...

Delta2 said:
ok ok, but still think @Orodruin is a bit sort of pedantic but yeah if we want to be absolutely correct...
Answering with a number when the question asks for a dimensionful quantity is just not correct. Sure, you may assume that units match up but if 18 years of teaching has taught me anything, it is that you cannot assume that students get their units right. Therefore, I think it is good practice to be pedantic about following units throughout any computation. The next one may not be as obvious.

To figure the inches you’ve run,
Or to find the slug mass of the sun,
Forget your aversion
To unit conversion.
Just multiply (wisely!) by 1.
(https://www.physics.harvard.edu/undergrad/limericks)

Likes Prof B, phinds, SammyS and 2 others
Orodruin said:
I mean, use units throughout your calculation. Do not just slap them on at the end and assume that they are correct.
Keeping units throughout a mathematical calculation is typically not done in math textbooks. For example, here is from a problem in "Calculus Concepts and Contexts," by James Stewart. The problem is about pumping air into a balloon at a certain rate, with a goal of finding the rate of change of the balloon's radius with respect to time.

Stewart includes units at the beginning:
Given: ##\frac{dV}{dt} = 100 \frac{\text{cm}^2}{\text{sec}}##
Unknown: ##\frac{dr}{dt}## when r = 25 cm
None of the subsequent calculations include units. The final calculation line is $$\frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{1}{4\pi(25)^2} = \frac{1}{25\pi}$$
In his summary he includes the units of cm/sec.

A much older textbook I have, "Calculus and Analytic Geometry, 2nd Ed," by Abraham Schwartz (c. 1967), takes a similar tack in the three examples shown for related rates. There are no units shown in any of the calculations, and only the final summary of the answer includes units.

• Informative
Likes Delta2
Mark44 said:
Keeping units throughout a mathematical calculation is typically not done in math textbooks. For example, here is from a problem in "Calculus Concepts and Contexts," by James Stewart. The problem is about pumping air into a balloon at a certain rate, with a goal of finding the rate of change of the balloon's radius with respect to time.

Stewart includes units at the beginning:

None of the subsequent calculations include units. The final calculation line is $$\frac{dr}{dt} = \frac{1}{4\pi(25)^2} = \frac{1}{25\pi}$$
In his summary he includes the units of cm/sec.

A much older textbook I have, "Calculus and Analytic Geometry, 2nd Ed," by Abraham Schwartz (c. 1967), takes a similar tack in the three examples shown for related rates. There are no units shown in any of the calculations, and only the final summary of the answer includes units.
That does not mean it is good practice …

The best practice imo is to use symbols to represent one’s quantities and only insert numbers at the very end.

Likes Prof B
Orodruin said:
That does not mean it is good practice …
True enough. I was just presenting a couple of examples of what is very common in calculus textbooks. For the original problem in this thread, in which the work starts with the equation ##\frac{dr }{dt } = \frac{dr }{dA}\frac{dA }{dt }##, one could easily confirm that the units on the left side are cm/sec, and the units on the right side are cm/cm^2 * cm^2/sec = cm/sec.

For what it's worth, a downside to including units at every step is that it clutters up the work, potentially making it more difficult to spot an incorrect step.
Orodruin said:
The best practice imo is to use symbols to represent one’s quantities and only insert numbers at the very end.
I agree. Both examples I cited following this practice, and when I was teaching calculus I always did likewise and urged my students to do so, as well.

Mark44 said:
True enough. I was just presenting a couple of examples of what is very common in calculus textbooks. For the original problem in this thread, in which the work starts with the equation ##\frac{dr }{dt } = \frac{dr }{dA}\frac{dA }{dt }##, one could easily confirm that the units on the left side are cm/sec, and the units on the right side are cm/cm^2 * cm^2/sec = cm/sec.
That equation does not have a dimensional problem because the contained quantities have the correct physical dimension. Note that I say "physical dimension" and not "units" because what units you use to describe those physical dimensions are irrelevant to the validity. The left-hand side has dimension L/T and the right-hand side (L/L^2)(L^2/T) = L/T so it is dimensionally consistent.

A lot of times there will be some confusion regarding the difference between the physical dimensions and the units used to measure them.

Mark44 said:
For what it's worth, a downside to including units at every step is that it clutters up the work, potentially making it more difficult to spot an incorrect step.
This is why using defined dimensional quantities is better (such as Newton's constant ##G## or the Fermi constant ##G_F##). When a numerical dimensionful quantity appears though, it is pretty standard to see it represented with units. Coulomb's law is
$$
F = k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2} = (8.988\cdot 10^9\ {\rm N m}^2/{\rm C}^2) \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2},
$$
not
$$
(8.988\cdot 10^9) \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2},
$$
which does not make sense dimensionally. It would only make sense if you add a describing sentence specifying "where the charges are measured in Coulomb, distance in meters, and force in Newtons" which is arguably even worse in terms of clutter.

chwala said:
@Orodruin I think the units at the end should be good enough...I don't think it's a standard math practise for students to show or rather indicate units at each and every step of their working.
This is a physics forum. I learned to use units from a physics teacher. My math is better because of it.

What is the meaning of "rate of increase of the radius of the pool"?

The rate of increase of the radius of the pool refers to the speed at which the radius of the pool is growing or expanding over a specific period of time.

How is the rate of increase of the radius of the pool calculated?

The rate of increase of the radius of the pool can be calculated by dividing the change in the radius by the time taken for the change to occur. This is also known as the average rate of change.

What factors can affect the rate of increase of the radius of the pool?

The rate of increase of the radius of the pool can be affected by various factors such as the temperature of the water, the amount of water being added to the pool, and the material of the pool walls.

Why is it important to know the rate of increase of the radius of the pool?

Knowing the rate of increase of the radius of the pool can help in planning and maintaining the pool. It can also be useful in predicting the future size of the pool and identifying any potential issues that may arise.

What are some methods to measure the rate of increase of the radius of the pool?

One method is to measure the radius of the pool at different time intervals and calculate the change in radius over time. Another method is to use sensors or cameras to track the growth of the pool over time.