Find the speed of the particle after 0.2 seconds

In summary, the formula for finding the speed of a particle is speed = distance/time. The distance traveled by a particle is calculated by multiplying the speed by the time it traveled. The unit of measurement for speed is typically meters per second (m/s). The speed of a particle can change over time due to acceleration or deceleration. The initial velocity of a particle will affect its speed after 0.2 seconds, as it will either continue at its current speed or accelerate based on its initial velocity and acceleration rate.
annalian

Homework Statement

The particle is thrown horizontally with speed 10 m/S (I believe from a height). Find the speed of it after 0.2 seconds.

Homework Equations

vx=v
vy=gt
v=sqrt(vx^2+vy^2)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

vx=10
vy=10*0.2=2
v=sqrt(100+4)=10.198m/S Am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me. I think it is probably more common to use 9.8 ms-2 for gravity though.

1. What is the formula for finding the speed of a particle?

The formula for finding the speed of a particle is speed = distance/time.

2. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a particle?

The distance traveled by a particle can be calculated by multiplying the speed by the time it traveled.

3. What unit of measurement is used for speed?

The unit of measurement for speed is typically meters per second (m/s).

4. Can the speed of a particle change over time?

Yes, the speed of a particle can change over time. This can occur if the particle is accelerating or decelerating.

5. How does the initial velocity of a particle affect its speed after 0.2 seconds?

The initial velocity of a particle will play a role in determining its speed after 0.2 seconds. If the particle is already moving at a certain speed, it will continue at that speed unless acted upon by an external force. If the particle is starting from rest, it will accelerate and its speed after 0.2 seconds will be determined by its acceleration rate.