Find the superposition of 2 waves, the ans is -6.02 cm, yet confused

In summary, the question asks for the superposition of two waves, y1=3cos(4x-1.6t) and y2= 4sin(5x-2t), at x=1 and t=0.5. The answer is simply y1 + y2, which gives the resultant displacement due to the two waves. However, if the amplitudes, wavelengths, and frequencies are different, the resultant amplitude cannot be found by simply adding the amplitudes together. The amplitude is a constant value and represents the maximum displacement of the particles of a wave, while displacement is represented by y and can vary for different particles. Therefore, the resultant amplitude must be calculated
polarbearkids

Homework Statement

The question asks us to find the superposition of 2 waves where y1=3cos(4x-1.6t) and y2= 4sin(5x-2t) and find the superposition of the waves y1 + Y2 at x=1 and t =0.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, what confuses me. is my teacher explained how to work with waves with the same amp, but not different and what do these equations give you. What does y1 mean? Is it the vertical distance?
The answer is not just plug in x and t, then add y1 + y2. I am so confused! please help! I know the waves are going the same way because of the sign but that is where my knowledge stops.

t is in s and x is in cm

And I got the answer from the back of the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Superposition is just addition. So just do y1 + y2 and substitute x = 1 and t = 0.5 in the sum.

If your teacher wanted you to simplify or othererwise re-express the sum he/she should have said so.

y1 and y2 are the orthogonal excursions of the H or E field. The wave travels in the x direction.

polarbearkids said:

Homework Statement

The question asks us to find the superposition of 2 waves where y1=3cos(4x-1.6t) and y2= 4sin(5x-2t) and find the superposition of the waves y1 + Y2 at x=1 and t =0.5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, what confuses me. is my teacher explained how to work with waves with the same amp, but not different and what do these equations give you. What does y1 mean? Is it the vertical distance?
The answer is not just plug in x and t, then add y1 + y2. I am so confused! please help! I know the waves are going the same way because of the sign but that is where my knowledge stops.

t is in s and x is in cm

And I got the answer from the back of the book.

Hi polarbearkids...

Welcome to PF!

Just substitute x=1 and t=0.5 and do y1+y2 .You will get the correct answer.

y1 and y2 represent displacement of the particles due to the individual waves .Performing y1+y2 gives you the resultant displacement due to the two waves.

Tanya Sharma said:
Hi polarbearkids...

Welcome to PF!

Just substitute x=1 and t=0.5 and do y1+y2 .You will get the correct answer.

y1 and y2 represent displacement of the particles due to the individual waves .Performing y1+y2 gives you the resultant displacement due to the two waves.

Okay, I feel a little stupid and I was just frustrated! My question was more along these lines. What if they did not give us the x and t, but they gave us the phase shift as .25, so the question would be along the lines of y1=3cos(4x-1.6t) and y2= 4sin(5x-2t -.250) and we were asked to find the new amplitude.

the text gives the equation for a resultant wave is y = 2A cos(∅/2)sin(kx-wt+∅/2), and I know this part 2A cos(∅/2) is the amp. but I would suspect that would only be true if the amplitudes, wavelength and frequencies are the same. So how would your equation change to account for these different numbers? Is it simply the sum of the amplitudes? I thought about this. And if it was the sum of the amplitudes, the if you have the same amplitudes just one is negative and one is positive( like -3 and 3), then that A term would always equal zero. Yet, I know this cannot be true, because if there is a phase shift, then it amplitudes at that point would be different. So, could you please explain this to me. Hopefully you understand my confusion! I am bad at physics thinking!

polarbearkids said:
Okay, I feel a little stupid and I was just frustrated! My question was more along these lines. What if they did not give us the x and t, but they gave us the phase shift as .25, so the question would be along the lines of y1=3cos(4x-1.6t) and y2= 4sin(5x-2t -.250) and we were asked to find the new amplitude.

the text gives the equation for a resultant wave is y = 2A cos(∅/2)sin(kx-wt+∅/2), and I know this part 2A cos(∅/2) is the amp. but I would suspect that would only be true if the amplitudes, wavelength and frequencies are the same. So how would your equation change to account for these different numbers? Is it simply the sum of the amplitudes? I thought about this. And if it was the sum of the amplitudes, the if you have the same amplitudes just one is negative and one is positive( like -3 and 3), then that A term would always equal zero. Yet, I know this cannot be true, because if there is a phase shift, then it amplitudes at that point would be different. So, could you please explain this to me. Hopefully you understand my confusion! I am bad at physics thinking!

Amplitude is the maximum displacement of the particles of a wave.It is a positive quantity and is a constant for a wave.Different particles of a wave have same amplitude,but different displacements .In general ,the resultant amplitude of the superposition of waves is not the algebraic sum of the amplitudes of the two waves.

The displacement of the particle and the amplitude are two different things .Displacement is represented by 'y' and amplitude by 'A' .The displacements of the particles are different whereas the amplitude is same.

So,basically you are looking for superposition of waves where the amplitudes are different. Is it so?

Last edited:
Tanya Sharma said:
Amplitude is the maximum displacement of the particles of a wave.It is a positive quantity and is a constant for a wave. (- Thanks I forgot about that.

So,basically you are looking for superposition of waves where the amplitudes are different. Is it so?

But yes, that is what I am wondering about. What if the amplitudes are different. Even though, I strayed from this in my last post. Take the example of the lines of y1=3cos(4x-1.6t) and y2= 4sin(5x-2t -.250), how would you go about finding the new amplitude of the combined waves at any particular point. Would you use y = 2A cos(∅/2)sin(kx-wt+∅/2)? would this equation still be valid? if so, how would you find that A in that equation? and if not, how would you go about finding this new amplitude? with the old amplitudes being 3 and 4 respectively

Okay...

Let the two waves be y1=A1cos(kx-ωt) and y2=A2cos(kx-ωt+∅)

y1+y2 = A1cos(kx-ωt) + A2cos(kx-ωt+∅)

=A1cos(kx-ωt)+A2[cos(kx-ωt)cos∅-sin(kx-ωt)sin∅]

=A1cos(kx-ωt)+A2[cos(kx-ωt)cos∅]-A2sin(kx-ωt)sin∅

=[A1+A2cos∅]cos(kx-ωt)-A2sin∅sin(kx-ωt)

Now put [A1+A2cos∅] =Rcosθ
and A2sin∅ = Rsinθ

So now we have , y1+y2=Rcosθcos(kx-ωt)-Rsinθsin(kx-ωt)

y1+y2= Rcos(kx-ωt+θ) where R is the resultant amplitude .

R = √[(A1+A2cos∅)2 + (A2sin∅)2]

and θ = tan-1[(A2sin∅)/(A1+A2cos∅)]

Hope this helps :smile:

Likes 1 person
Tanya Sharma said:
Okay...

Let the two waves be y1=A1cos(kx-ωt) and y2=A2cos(kx-ωt+∅)

y1+y2 = A1cos(kx-ωt) + A2cos(kx-ωt+∅)

=A1cos(kx-ωt)+A2[cos(kx-ωt)cos∅-sin(kx-ωt)sin∅]

=A1cos(kx-ωt)+A2[cos(kx-ωt)cos∅]-A2sin(kx-ωt)sin∅

=[A1+A2cos∅]cos(kx-ωt)-A2sin∅sin(kx-ωt)

Now put [A1+A2cos∅] =Rcosθ
and A2sin∅ = Rsinθ

So now we have , y1+y2=Rcosθcos(kx-ωt)-Rsinθsin(kx-ωt)

y1+y2= Rcos(kx-ωt+θ) where R is the resultant amplitude .

R = √[(A1+A2cos∅)2 + (A2sin∅)2]

and θ = tan-1[(A2sin∅)/(A1+A2cos∅)]

Hope this helps :smile:

Yes! This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much, this is starting to make sense.

Now, I have two final questions.

Will R = √[(A1+A2cos∅)^2 + (A2sin∅)^2] always be true or is it just when A2>A1? would R = √[(A1+A2cos∅)^2 + (A1sin∅)^2] if A2<A1. I don't think it would be, I just want to make sure.

and then finally, What angle does this give you θ = tan-1[(A2sin∅)/(A1+A2cos∅)]? like what information does that angle tell you, its the angle of __ in relation to the new wave. ??

Thank you!

polarbearkids said:
Yes! This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you so much, this is starting to make sense.

Now, I have two final questions.

Will R = √[(A1+A2cos∅)^2 + (A2sin∅)^2] always be true or is it just when A2>A1? would R = √[(A1+A2cos∅)^2 + (A1sin∅)^2] if A2<A1. I don't think it would be, I just want to make sure.

This is a general relation.

polarbearkids said:
and then finally, What angle does this give you θ = tan-1[(A2sin∅)/(A1+A2cos∅)]? like what information does that angle tell you, its the angle of __ in relation to the new wave. ??

Thank you!

θ is the initial phase shift of the resultant wave .

What is the concept of superposition in waves?

Superposition in waves refers to the process of combining two or more waves to create a new wave. This is done by adding the individual displacements of each wave at every point in space and time.

How do you find the superposition of two waves?

To find the superposition of two waves, you need to add the amplitude of each wave at every point in space and time. This will give you the resulting amplitude of the new wave. In mathematical terms, it is represented as A = A1 + A2, where A is the resulting amplitude, A1 is the amplitude of the first wave, and A2 is the amplitude of the second wave.

What does the answer -6.02 cm represent in the context of finding the superposition of two waves?

In this context, the answer -6.02 cm represents the amplitude of the resulting wave. It is a negative value, which means that the two waves are out of phase with each other, causing them to cancel out at certain points in space and time.

Why is the answer -6.02 cm confusing?

The answer -6.02 cm may be confusing because it is a negative value and does not directly correspond to the amplitude of either of the two waves. In addition, it may be confusing because the concept of superposition can be difficult to understand at first.

How can I better understand the concept of superposition in waves?

The best way to understand the concept of superposition in waves is to visualize it. You can do this by using a graph to plot the two individual waves and then adding them together to see the resulting wave. Additionally, practicing with different examples and seeking help from a teacher or tutor can also improve your understanding.