Find the time constant for this RC circuit, help please

In summary: The voltage source is irrelevant so you would just have to find the values of A and B. The voltage source is irrelevant so you would just have to find the values of A and B.
Anti Hydrogen

Homework Statement

upload_2018-12-9_23-18-56.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-9_23-18-56.png
    upload_2018-12-9_23-18-56.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 2,488
Physics news on Phys.org
What are your thoughts on approaching this problem? Helpers will not provide any guidance unless you show us what you've tried or researched. No attempt means no effort. No effort means no help.

that's correct dear; what i only do was find the thevenin equivalent circuit of that problem but after that i did not know what to do because of the voltage source. Sorry for my bad english

Anti Hydrogen said:
that's correct dear; what i only do was find the thevenin equivalent circuit of that problem but after that i did not know what to do because of the voltage source. Sorry for my bad english
First, don't call people "dear". I'm sure you meant well, but I don't think gneill is your boyfriend. Second, SAYING that you have done the Thevinin equivalent is meaningless. SHOW that you have done it.

Does anyone want to help me or just want to reproach me ??

phinds said:
First, don't call people "dear". I'm sure you meant well, but I don't think gneill is your boyfriend. Second, SAYING that you have done the Thevinin equivalent is meaningless. SHOW that you have done it.
I said sorry for my english i hoped someone will understand

Please show your work so far. The Thevenin equivalent of the driving network is very relevant! :smile:

Anti Hydrogen said:
what i only do was find the thevenin equivalent circuit of that problem but after that i did not know what to do because of the voltage source.
The magnitude of the ideal voltage source is not relevant to calculations of the time constant of the passive circuit.

The time constant, also called Tau, is found in the equation:

τ = R x C, where R is resistance and C is capacitance

As mentioned above it is better to show your attempts at a solution first and then these "Smart-as-heck" people will steer you in the right direction.

Likes Klystron and scottdave
Anti Hydrogen said:
I said sorry for my english i hoped someone will understand
I definitely understand. I've worked in other countries with different local languages, so I can understand your position.

Even so, we need to see your attempt at solution before we can offer guidance. Fortunately, the language of mathematics is fairly universal. So if you could please provide your attempt at a Thevenin equivalent for the network that the capacitor "sees" that would be a good start to getting you to your desired solution.

In case you did not know, PhysicsForums differed from some other sites as to what constitutes help. While ono some sites, people might just give the solution to solving it, here people try to guide you to arriving at the solution. I don't think anybody meant to put you down.

If you show us what you've done, we will look at it and point out if you are on the right way, or need to do something different.

upload_2018-12-26_15-6-4.png

Let's say you have to find I2=A*e^(t/tau)+B where tau it is your constant.

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-26_15-6-4.png
    upload_2018-12-26_15-6-4.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 962
Likes scottdave

1. What is the time constant for an RC circuit?

The time constant for an RC circuit is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage or for the capacitor to discharge to 36.8% of its initial voltage.

2. How do you calculate the time constant for an RC circuit?

The time constant can be calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) in ohms by the capacitance (C) in farads. The formula is: RC = R x C.

3. Why is it important to find the time constant for an RC circuit?

The time constant is important because it helps determine the behavior of the circuit. It can be used to calculate the charge and discharge rates of the capacitor, as well as the overall response time of the circuit.

4. What factors can affect the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant can be affected by the values of resistance and capacitance, as well as the overall design and components of the circuit. Environmental factors such as temperature can also impact the time constant.

5. Can the time constant for an RC circuit be changed?

Yes, the time constant can be changed by altering the values of resistance and capacitance in the circuit. A larger resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant, while a smaller resistance or capacitance will result in a shorter time constant.