Find the values of 'a' and 'b' for the following PDF

• Thread starter Saracen Rue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pdf
If you solve those two equations you'll get a unique solution for a and b.That's pretty much what I said. If you solve those two equations you'll get a unique solution for a and b.
Saracen Rue

Homework Statement

A probability density function is defined by ##f\left(x\right)=\left|a\right|\left(x+1\right)-\left(ax-1\right)^2## where ##x∈[0,b]##. Determine the values of the constants ##a## and ##b##, given that the graph passes through the point ##(b,0)##.

Homework Equations

##∫_a^bf(x)dx=1## where ##f(x)## is a probability density function

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I know I'm attempting to solve ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## for ##b##, but I'm rather unsure of how to do that in this instance due to ##a## being a second unknown variable.

I've attempted finding the x-intercept, ##b## of ##f(x)## but it is dependent on the variable ##a##. I then tried to find ##a## in terms of x and use that to somehow find ##b## but I soon realized that wasn't going anywhere. Normally for these types of questions, ##a## would just be a dilation factor, meaning it doesn't effect the values of the x-intercepts and can just be taken out as a common factor before integrating. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to do when it effects the location of the x-intercepts.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saracen Rue said:

Homework Statement

A probability density function is defined by ##f\left(x\right)=\left|a\right|\left(x+1\right)-\left(ax-1\right)^2## where ##x∈[0,b]##. Determine the values of the constants ##a## and ##b##, given that the graph passes through the point ##(b,0)##.

Homework Equations

##∫_a^bf(x)dx=1## where ##f(x)## is a probability density function

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I know I'm attempting to solve ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## for ##b##, but I'm rather unsure of how to do that in this instance due to ##a## being a second unknown variable.

I've attempted finding the x-intercept, ##b## of ##f(x)## but it is dependent on the variable ##a##. I then tried to find ##a## in terms of x and use that to somehow find ##b## but I soon realized that wasn't going anywhere. Normally for these types of questions, ##a## would just be a dilation factor, meaning it doesn't effect the values of the x-intercepts and can just be taken out as a common factor before integrating. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to do when it effects the location of the x-intercepts.
With the integral you show in your attempt and the given information that f(b) = 0, you have two equations in the unknowns a and b. That should be enough information for you to solve for a and b.

Mark44 said:
With the integral you show in your attempt and the given information that f(b) = 0, you have two equations in the unknowns a and b. That should be enough information for you to solve for a and b.
Oh thank you I think I understand now. Because ##b## is the x-intercept, ##f(x)=f(b)=0##, leaving us with just ##a## and ##b## as unknowns. As ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## also simplifies down to only containing ##a## and ##b##. Thus, I should be able to solve ##f(b)=0## and ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## simultaneously to find both ##a## and ##b##. Does this sound right?

Saracen Rue said:
Oh thank you I think I understand now. Because ##b## is the x-intercept, ##f(x)=f(b)=0##, leaving us with just ##a## and ##b## as unknowns. As ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## also simplifies down to only containing ##a## and ##b##. Thus, I should be able to solve ##f(b)=0## and ##∫_0^bf(x)dx=1## simultaneously to find both ##a## and ##b##. Does this sound right?
That's pretty much what I said.

Related to Find the values of 'a' and 'b' for the following PDF

1. What is a PDF?

A PDF is a probability density function, which is a mathematical function that describes the distribution of a random variable. In other words, it assigns probabilities to different values of a variable.

2. What is the purpose of finding the values of 'a' and 'b' in a PDF?

The values of 'a' and 'b' in a PDF determine the shape and location of the distribution. They can help us understand the likelihood of certain values occurring and make predictions based on the data.

3. How do you find the values of 'a' and 'b' in a PDF?

The values of 'a' and 'b' can be found by solving the equations for the mean and standard deviation of the distribution. These values can also be estimated using statistical methods such as maximum likelihood estimation.

4. What factors can affect the values of 'a' and 'b' in a PDF?

The values of 'a' and 'b' can be affected by the type of distribution (e.g. normal, exponential, etc.), the sample size, and the underlying data. Outliers and skewness in the data can also impact the values of 'a' and 'b'.

5. Can the values of 'a' and 'b' change over time?

Yes, the values of 'a' and 'b' can change over time if the underlying data changes. For example, if the data becomes more skewed, the value of 'b' may increase to account for this change. Additionally, if the sample size increases, the values of 'a' and 'b' may become more precise.