Find v and x of electron in an electromagnetic wave

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the velocity and position of an electron in an electric field, with an initial velocity of zero. The conversation covers the steps of integrating the equation ##\dfrac{\text d v}{\text d t} = - \dfrac{eE_0}{m}\sin (\omega t - \varphi)## to find the velocity function, and then integrating again to find the position function. The conversation also touches on the chain rule of differentiation and the concept of constant of integration. It is recommended to have a solid understanding of algebra and calculus before attempting to understand physics concepts.
everyall
Thread moved from the technical Math forums, and OP is reminded to show their work on their schoolwork questions
When
dv/dt= -qE/m(sin(ωt+φ))

Find v
Then x
By integrating

Physics news on Phys.org
everyall said:
When
dv/dt= -qE/m(sin(ωt+φ))

Find v
Then x
By integrating
Well, if you have dv/dt, then integrate it to get v as a function of t. Then v = dx/dt. Integrate that to get x as a function of t.

Is your question how to integrate this?

-Dan

topsquark said:
Well, if you have dv/dt, then integrate it to get v as a function of t. Then v = dx/dt. Integrate that to get x as a function of t.

Is your question how to integrate this?

-Dan
Yes i like to know how to integrate (sin(ωt+φ))dt

Last edited:
Do you know what the primitive function of sin(t) is?

malawi_glenn said:
Do you know what the primitive function of sin(t) is?
Do you mean ∫sin(t) = -cos(t)

everyall said:
Do you mean ∫sin(t) = -cos(t)
+C

Ok. Next. What is the derivative of ##-\cos(\omega t + \varphi )## with respect to ##t##?

malawi_glenn said:
+C

Ok. Next. What is the derivative of ##-\cos(\omega t + \varphi )## with respect to ##t##?
I don't know this because it has 2 variable
##-\omega t and \varphi##
Which is plus inside sin function

How to solve this

• Sad
Likes malawi_glenn
No ##\omega## is constant pretend that is has value say 2.78 or whatever
Did you not learn about the chain rule in school?

malawi_glenn said:
No ##\omega## is constant pretend that is has value say 2.78 or whatever
Did you not learn about the chain rule in school?
I still don't know how to integrate sin(a+b)

everyall said:
I still don't know how to integrate sin(a+b)
That sucks. Just google it. Chain rule of differentiation

malawi_glenn said:
That sucks. Just google it. Chain rule of differentiation
I found dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx
Does it mean pretend wt+phi =u ?
Then what is the result after intregrate

Screenshot_2023-05-25-21-51-52-186_com.google.android.apps.docs-edit.jpg

From text , i like to know where -eE/mw(cosphi) come ?

Is it should be C instead after integrate sin(wt+phi)

everyall said:
I found dy/dx=dy/du*du/dx
Does it mean pretend wt+phi =u ?
yes
everyall said:
Then what is the result after intregrate
Well figure out what the derivative of ##-\cos(\omega t + \varphi)## is then it should be pretty easy to figure out what the primitive function to ## \sin(\omega t + \varphi)## is.

Out of curiousity, why are you doing this problem if you have not taken approriate math classes?

everyall said:
From text , i like to know where -eE/mw(cosphi) come ?

Is it should be C instead after integrate sin(wt+phi)
The problem says that the electron is initially at rest, so you can determine the value of the constant of integration C.

malawi_glenn said:
yes

Well figure out what the derivative of ##-\cos(\omega t + \varphi)## is then it should be pretty easy to figure out what the primitive function to ## \sin(\omega t + \varphi)## is.

Out of curiousity, why are you doing this problem if you have not taken approriate math classes?The problem says that the electron is initially at rest, so you can determine the value of the constant of integration C.
I try to understand physics to discover some new things at 42 year old with high school knowledge.
Thanks

everyall said:
I try to understand physics to discover some new things at 42 year old with high school knowledge.
Thanks
You will discover more if you spend some time doing basic algebra and calculus first. The language of physics is math.

Likes vela
malawi_glenn said:
yes

Diff -cos(wt+phi) = wsin(wt+phi)

Screenshot_2023-05-25-22-46-09-734_com.google.android.apps.docs-edit.jpg

Where this term come from

I wrote it earlier in this thread.

## \dfrac{\text d v}{\text d t} = - \dfrac{eE_0}{m}\sin (\omega t - \varphi)##

You now know that the derivative of ##-\cos (\omega t - \varphi) ## is ## \omega \sin (\omega t - \varphi)##

Then you also know this, that the derivative of ##-\dfrac{1}{\omega}\cos (\omega t - \varphi) ## is ## \sin (\omega t - \varphi)##

It should not too hard to figure out what ##v(t)## is now.

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between v and x in an electromagnetic wave?

The velocity (v) and position (x) of an electron in an electromagnetic wave are related by the wave's frequency and wavelength. The velocity of the electron is equal to the frequency of the wave multiplied by the wavelength, while the position of the electron is determined by the amplitude of the wave.

2. How does the velocity of an electron change in an electromagnetic wave?

The velocity of an electron in an electromagnetic wave is constantly changing, as the wave oscillates between electric and magnetic fields. The electron's velocity is always perpendicular to the direction of the wave's propagation and is equal to the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. Can the velocity of an electron in an electromagnetic wave exceed the speed of light?

No, the velocity of an electron in an electromagnetic wave cannot exceed the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the velocity of an electron in an electromagnetic wave is always equal to the speed of light.

4. How does the position of an electron change in an electromagnetic wave?

The position of an electron in an electromagnetic wave is determined by the amplitude of the wave. As the amplitude of the wave increases, the electron's position also increases. However, the electron's position is constantly changing as the wave oscillates between electric and magnetic fields.

5. Can the position of an electron in an electromagnetic wave be determined precisely?

No, the position of an electron in an electromagnetic wave cannot be determined precisely. This is due to the wave-particle duality of electrons, which means they exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior. Therefore, the exact position of an electron in an electromagnetic wave can only be described in terms of probabilities.