Find y(x) and f(y) given y''(x)=f(y) and int(f(y)dy)=x-1

• Thread starter Bill_Nye_Fan
  • Start date
In summary, we are given a function of y, f(y), which is equal to the second derivative of function y(x). Using this information and the integral of f(y), we can find the function y(x) and f(y) given that y(x) has a stationary point at x=1 and an x-intercept at x=2. After setting up the integral and using the substitution dy/dx = v, we can solve for y(x) and f(y) and confirm the consistency of our final result with the given properties.
Bill_Nye_Fan

Homework Statement

A function of y, ##f(y)##, is known to be equal to the second derivative of function ##y(x)##. ( i.e. ##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=f\left(y\right)## )

Given that ##\int _{ }^{ }f\left(y\right)dy=x-1##, and function ##y(x)## has a stationary point at ##x=1## and an x-intercept at ##x=2##, find ##y(x)## and hence find ##f(y)##

Homework Equations

Knowledge of solving differential equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

##\int _{ }^{ }f\left(y\right)dy=x-1##
##\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=f\left(y\right)##
##∴ \int _{ }^{ }\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}dy=\int _{ }^{ }\frac{d\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)}{dx}dy=x-1##
I derived both sides with respect to ##y##
##\frac{d\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)}{dx}=\frac{d\left(x-1\right)}{dy}##
And this is where I get stuck. I'm not sure what to do from here, can someone please help? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In
$$
\int _{ }^{ }\frac{d\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)}{dx}dy = \int \frac{dy}{dx} d\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)
$$
if you write ##dy/dx = v##, can you do the integral analytically?

blue_leaf77 said:
In
$$
\int _{ }^{ }\frac{d\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)}{dx}dy = \int \frac{dy}{dx} d\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)
$$
if you write ##dy/dx = v##, can you do the integral analytically?

Ah yes I see what you're saying. Integrating a function (or in this case a derivative function) with respect to itself is the same as integrating a singular variable with respect to itself. I've done some quick working out and this is what I got:
20170823_131847.jpg

Do you think this looks right or am I way off track?

If you check the consistency of your final result with the properties it should have as given in the problem, I guess then your answer is right.

1. What is y(x)?

Y(x) is the function that represents the relationship between the independent variable x and the dependent variable y.

2. How do you find y(x) given y''(x)=f(y) and int(f(y)dy)=x-1?

To find y(x), you need to use the given information to solve for y. First, integrate the equation y''(x)=f(y) to get y'(x)=F(y)+C, where F(y) is the antiderivative of f(y) and C is a constant. Then, use the given integral int(f(y)dy)=x-1 to solve for y(x) by substituting in the value of x.

3. What is f(y)?

F(y) is the antiderivative of the function f(y). It represents the original function before taking the derivative.

4. How do you find f(y) given y''(x)=f(y) and int(f(y)dy)=x-1?

To find f(y), you need to first integrate the given equation y''(x)=f(y) to get y'(x)=F(y)+C. Then, use the given integral int(f(y)dy)=x-1 to solve for F(y) by substituting in the value of x. Once you have F(y), you can find f(y) by taking the derivative of F(y).

5. Can y(x) and f(y) be any functions?

Yes, y(x) and f(y) can be any functions as long as they satisfy the given equation y''(x)=f(y) and integral int(f(y)dy)=x-1. However, the process of finding these functions may be different depending on the specific functions given.