Find Your Path: Exploring College Options for Gifted Learners

In summary, you should focus on taking basic math/science courses and then move on to more specialized classes if you want to focus in a specific area.
Justforthisquestion
Hello, recently I have been looking into colleges and I'd just like someone who has some experience to give some ideas! Thank you in advance for any responses!

A bit of background.
I am 18, turning 19 in June and I would say I am a gifted person when it comes to learning. I love to learn and I learn quickly. Not too great when it comes to writing (as I'm sure you'll probably know after reading this) but I enjoy math and science. I ended up dropping out of high school for personal reasons. But now that I went off and got my GED I'm ready to continue my education into something space related. My current plan was to head to a local community college for a year or two with a focus on math and physics to lay out some basics, then try to get into a decent college for something more focused.

I don't know where to start when it comes to trying to decide a particular area of study or what the options even are other than a very few. I have no clue if what I'm doing is a good or bad idea. If you have any ideas or suggestions please share!

Physics news on Phys.org
Justforthisquestion said:
My current plan was to head to a local community college for a year or two with a focus on math and physics to lay out some basics, then try to get into a decent college for something more focused.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Since you're interested in STEM, just take basic math/science course plus whatever else is required (something to help w/ your writing would be good if you really feel that it's an issue area for you --- in the long run, writing is very important for most jobs)

The point is, almost whatever long term plan you have, you're going to be taking the same basic course anyway, so don't be in a huge rush to plan out the rest of your life, just get a taste of things and see where it goes from there.

Likes Justforthisquestion
Having passed the GED tests still might not excuse you from the General Education course requirements for whatever degree program you choose at the community college. You will, in fact, need them for your writing-ability improvement. Otherwise, build up your Mathematics courses, even starting at Basic Arithmetic if necessary; but better if you can start with Introductory Algebra, and then continue moving upward semester by semester.

Likes Justforthisquestion

1. What is "Find Your Path: Exploring College Options for Gifted Learners"?

"Find Your Path" is a resource book designed to help gifted learners and their families navigate the college search process. It provides information on college admissions for gifted students, tips for finding the right fit, and advice on how to make the most of the college experience.

2. Who is this book intended for?

This book is intended for gifted learners who are considering attending college, as well as their families and educators who support them. It can also be a valuable resource for college counselors and admissions officers who work with gifted students.

3. What makes this book different from other college search resources?

This book specifically focuses on the unique needs and considerations of gifted students. It provides information on how to find colleges that offer challenging academic programs, as well as resources for support and enrichment opportunities. It also addresses the social and emotional aspects of the college experience for gifted learners.

4. What type of information does this book cover?

This book covers a range of topics including understanding giftedness, researching colleges, preparing for the college application process, and adjusting to college life as a gifted student. It also includes personal stories and insights from current and former gifted college students.

5. How can this book be beneficial for gifted learners?

This book can be beneficial for gifted learners by providing them with a comprehensive guide to the college search process that takes into account their unique needs and abilities. It can also help them make informed decisions about their future and provide them with resources and support throughout their college journey.