Finding a function for the parabola

In summary, The question is whether it is possible to write a second-degree equation for the given points (1, 1), (2, 2), and (3, 3). The conversation reveals that while the points appear to be linear, it is not possible to write a quadratic equation for them. It is suggested to use the limit of a positive rational number as it approaches 0, but it is clarified that an integer cannot "approach" 0.
Atran
Note: I don't need any answer, all I want to know is whether this question is possible.

Homework Statement

"What is the function of the parabola which has the points (1, 1) (2, 2) and (3, 3)?"
I just asked my teacher to get the question, It's not stated in my textbook.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea! I don't get more than a linear function.

- - - - -

Thanks...

Physics news on Phys.org
While the points look linear, sub the points into y=ax2+bx+c. You'll get three equations with three unknowns.

I did this and it turns out kinda ugly. I got 0 for the coefficient of the squared term (well, [tex]1.5x 10^{-14}[/tex] )I got 1 for the coefficient of the x term; and I got [tex]3x10^{-14}[/tex] for the constant. Looks pretty linear there...although not EXACTLY linear...but I may have made a mistake.

EDIT: I started this by hand and it got ugly quick. I used my TI89 with the rref function and that's what it got. Those points are in a line...it's difficult to force the quadratic on it because they are so close together. One could plug those coefficients into the [tex]Ax^2+Bx+C=0[/tex]
formula and complete the square...It's REALLY close to linear...and the thing could open up or down...those points are too close together and linear to really make sense of...as far as I can tell...

Last edited:
At first it seemed very complicated, but when I uncovered the trick It was so easy.
Yes, I know that it's not possible to write a second-degree equation for a linear graph, therefore I had to use 'limit' as a positive integer 'n' approaching 0.
Thanks for the answers.

? An integer can't "approach" 0!

HallsofIvy said:
? An integer can't "approach" 0!

Sorry, I just meant a positive rational number.

Related to Finding a function for the parabola

1. What is a parabola?

A parabola is a U-shaped curve that is formed by the graph of a quadratic function. It is a type of conic section and can be described by the equation y = ax^2 + bx + c, where a, b, and c are constants.

2. How do you find the vertex of a parabola?

The vertex of a parabola can be found by using the formula x = -b/2a, where a and b are the coefficients of the quadratic equation. This will give you the x-coordinate of the vertex. To find the y-coordinate, plug the x-coordinate into the original equation.

3. What does the coefficient 'a' represent in a parabola?

The coefficient 'a' represents the curvature of the parabola. If a is positive, the parabola opens upwards and has a minimum point. If a is negative, the parabola opens downwards and has a maximum point.

4. How do you find the x-intercepts of a parabola?

The x-intercepts, or roots, of a parabola can be found by setting the equation equal to 0 and solving for x. This can be done by factoring, using the quadratic formula, or graphically by finding where the parabola crosses the x-axis.

5. Can any parabola be written as a function?

Yes, any parabola can be written as a function. The equation y = ax^2 + bx + c can be used to represent any parabola, where a, b, and c are constants. However, the parabola must pass the vertical line test in order to be considered a function.