Finding a solution to Laplace's equation

In summary: Note, this is the potential within the box, not including the potential from the boundaries. If you think this is incorrect, please let me know.In summary, the solution to Laplace's equation with non-homogeneous, mixed boundary conditions in both x and y can be expressed as a sum of infinite terms in the form of ##\Delta\phi(x,y) = \lim_{M\rightarrow\infty}\sum_{n=1}^{M} c_n\,\sin{n\pi x}\,\sinh{n\pi y}##, where ##c_n = \frac{ 2 (1 - \cos{ n \pi }) }{ ( n \pi )^2 \cosh{ n \pi
H Smith 94
Gold Member
So here I have Laplace's equation with non-homogeneous, mixed boundary conditions in both [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex].

1. Homework Statement

Solve Laplace's equation \begin{equation}\label{eq:Laplace}\nabla^2\phi(x,y)=0\end{equation} for the following boundary conditions:
  1. [itex]\phi(0, y)=2[/itex];
  2. [itex]\phi(1, y)=0[/itex];
  3. [itex]\phi(x, 0)=0[/itex];
  4. [itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\phi(x,1)=1[/itex].
Here, [itex]\phi[/itex] is the potential.

Homework Equations

In two dimensions:[tex]\nabla^2 = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}.[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
As far as I can tell, a solution exists in \begin{equation}\label{eq:phi1}\phi(x,y)=\phi_0(x) + \Delta\phi(x,y),\end{equation} where [itex]\phi_0(x)[/itex] satisfies the [itex]x[/itex]-boundaries, in that [tex]\phi_0(x)=A_0+B_0 x[/tex] and [itex]\Delta\phi(x,y)[/itex] satisfies the [itex]y[/itex]-boundaries, with a separable solution of the form [tex]\Delta\phi(x,y)=\sum_{n}\chi_n(x)\gamma_n(y).[/tex]

Applying boundary condition 1: [tex]\phi_0(0,y) = 2 \implies \boxed{A_0 = 2},[/tex] so now [itex]\phi_0= 2+B_0 x [/itex].

Applying boundary condition 2: [tex]\phi_0(1,y) = 2+ B_0 = 0 \implies \boxed{B_0 = -2}.[/tex] Hence, have that \begin{equation}\phi_0(x,y) = 2-2x.\end{equation}

Now, equation [itex]\ref{eq:phi1}[/itex] can be substituted into Laplace's equation ([itex]\ref{eq:Laplace}[/itex]) to yield [tex] \frac{\partial^2\Delta\phi(x,y)}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2\Delta\phi(x,y)}{\partial y^2} = 0.[/tex] This has the separable solution in [itex]\Delta\phi(x,y) = \chi(x)\gamma(y)[/itex]: [tex]\frac{\mathrm{d}^2\chi}{\mathrm{d}x^2} = \kappa \chi(x) \\ \frac{\mathrm{d}^2\gamma}{\mathrm{d}y^2} = -\kappa \gamma(y)[/tex] so that [tex]\begin{align}\chi(x) = E \cos{\kappa x} + F \sin{\kappa x} \\ \gamma(y) = G e^{\kappa y} + H e^{-\kappa y}, \end{align}[/tex] for which I found using the homogeneous boundary conditions produced from [itex]\phi_0(x)[/itex] that [itex]F = -E[/itex] and, in turn, [itex]E = 0[/itex] -- so [tex]\chi(x) = 0\ \forall x \implies \boxed{\Delta\phi(x,y) = 0}[/tex] and so \begin{equation}\boxed{\boxed{\phi(x,y)=2 - 2x}},\end{equation} which just cannot be correct!

I have tried solving the solution directly using separation of variables with all types of attempted forms of solutions and---after pages and pages of working---have come up with nothing. I feel like there's a very simple but essential point I'm missing here.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are fine until the point you claim that the homogeneous boundary conditions give ##E = - F = 0##. This is not correct.

Orodruin said:
You are fine until the point you claim that the homogeneous boundary conditions give ##E = - F = 0##. This is not correct.

Hi!

For this step, I used the boundary conditions ##\Delta\phi(0,y) = \Delta\phi(1,y) = 0##, originating from 1 and 2. Was this incorrect?

No, that is correct. Your solution of the resulting equations is not.

Orodruin said:
No, that is correct. Your solution of the resulting equations is not.

Right you are!

I had that ##e^{\xi} - e^{-\xi} = 2 \cosh{\xi}##—which would imply the only way ##\chi(1)=0## is if ##E = 0## since ##\cosh{x}\not=0## for any ##x##—when instead, ##e^{\xi} - e^{-\xi} = 2 \sinh{\xi} \implies e^{\kappa x} - e^{-\kappa x} = 2 \sinh{\kappa x}##, so [tex]\chi(x) = 2E \sinh{\kappa x}[/tex] which means [tex] \chi(1) = 2E\sinh{\kappa} = 0[/tex] which is only true for either ##E = 0## (trivial) or for ##\kappa = 0##.

hyper011.gif

Fig 1.
Blue line is ##\sinh{x}##; red line is ##\cosh{x}##.​

Does this look like a good place to continue from? The implications of ##\kappa = 0## on ##\gamma(y)## also worries me.

No, you are not using the actual form you wrote down for the solution in the x-direction. Also remember that you must check all values of ##\kappa##.

There is also an error in your solution, the argument of the functions is not ##\kappa x##, this would give ##\kappa^2## as a factor when differentiating twoce instead of ##\kappa##, which is in your differential equations.

Likes H Smith 94
Orodruin said:
No, you are not using the actual form you wrote down for the solution in the x-direction. Also remember that you must check all values of ##\kappa##.
Oh yes! I hadn't even noticed that! Thank you for pointing this out.

Orodruin said:
There is also an error in your solution, the argument of the functions is not ##\kappa x##, this would give ##\kappa^2## as a factor when differentiating twoce instead of ##\kappa##, which is in your differential equations.
This was a typo on my part -- sorry! I also should have the opposite signs on the ##\kappa## for each ##x## and ##y## solution in order to adequately satisfy the solutions ##\chi## and ##\gamma## I gave.

Thank you for all your help -- you've been of great assistance!

Solution:
For anyone reading this who is interested in the solution:

Applying the new homogeneous boundary conditions in ##x##:
  1. ##\Delta\phi(0,y) = 0 \implies \boxed{F = 0};##
  2. ##\Delta\phi(1,y) = 0 \implies \boxed{\kappa = n \pi}## for ##n\in\mathbb{N}##.
means that \begin{equation} \chi(x) = E \sin{n\pi x}.\end{equation} We can hence determine ##G## and ##H## using the original boundary conditions 3 and 4. 3 finds that ##\boxed{A = -B}##, so \begin{equation}\gamma(y) = A\sinh{n\pi y}.\end{equation} Hence, using the separable solution and summing over all possible (infinite) solutions, we find that \begin{equation}\label{eq:phisol} \boxed{\boxed{ \Delta\phi(x,y) = \lim_{M\rightarrow\infty} \sum_{n=1}^{M} c_n\,\sin{n\pi x}\, \sinh{n\pi y} }},\end{equation} where ##c_n \equiv A_nE_n## and ##M## is simply included for a computational application.

Now, we use 4 to calculate the ##c_n## coefficient. We differentiate \ref{eq:phisol}, apply Fourier's trick (as David J. Griffiths calls it) and hence find that \begin{equation} \label{eq:cnsol} \boxed{ \boxed{ c_n = \frac{ 2 (1 - \cos{ n \pi }) }{ ( n \pi )^2 \cosh{ n \pi } } } }.\end{equation}

Using this solutions, we find that for ##M = 20##, the potential looks like the attached graph.

Attachments

• Potential.png
    Potential.png
    12.2 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field in a given region. It is often used in physics and engineering to model the distribution of electric and gravitational potentials.

2. Why is finding a solution to Laplace's equation important?

Finding a solution to Laplace's equation is important because it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of scalar fields in a given region. This has applications in a wide range of fields, including electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.

3. What are some common methods for solving Laplace's equation?

Some common methods for solving Laplace's equation include the method of separation of variables, the method of finite differences, and the method of integral transforms. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of problems.

4. What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's equation?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation typically involve specifying the value of the scalar field on the boundary of the region. These conditions can also include the gradient of the scalar field on the boundary, or a combination of both. The specific boundary conditions depend on the problem being solved.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Laplace's equation?

Yes, Laplace's equation has numerous real-world applications. For example, it can be used to model the flow of heat in a solid material, the distribution of electric potential in a circuit, or the gravitational potential around a massive object. It is also commonly used in image processing and computer graphics to smooth and enhance images.