Finding a unitary operator for quantum non-locality.

In summary, the problem is finding a unitary operator $U_B$ such that, when applied to Alice and Bob's entangled state, it collapses both of their states to one of the given states with the appropriate probability.
koroshii
Homework Statement
Recall that in the Quantum Teleportation protocol, Alice and Bob start withthe state [itex](\alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1})\otimes\left(\frac{\ket{00}+\ket{11}}{\sqrt{2}}\right)[/itex], and end in one of the four following states probabilistically, after Alice’s measurement: [tex]\ket{00}\otimes(\alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1})[/tex] [tex]\ket{10}\otimes(\alpha\ket{0}-\beta\ket{1})[/tex] [tex]\ket{01}\otimes(\beta\ket{0}+\alpha\ket{1}) [/tex] [tex]|11〉⊗(-\beta\ket{0}+\alpha\ket{1}) [/tex]

Give the 2×2 matrix representation of the unitary operator Bob must apply to turn his state into the desired state [itex]\alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1}[/itex] for each of the four possibilities when Alice communicates the result of her measurement (00, 01, 10, or 11).
Relevant Equations
This appears to be the last step of the Quantum Teleportation protocol in my notes

"Alice sends a 2-bit classical message to Bob telling him her measurement result. He applies a local unitary; i.e., [itex]I_{A_1, A_2}\otimes U_B[/itex], to transform his state to [itex]\ket{\phi} = \alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1}[/itex]"
My trouble might be from how I interpret the problem. Alice and Bob are entangled. After Alice makes the measurement both of their states should collapse to one of these states with a certain probability. (Unless my understand of how entanglement is wrong.) The way I am understand the question is to find an operator [itex]U_B [/itex] (using the first one as an example) such that

[tex]I_{A_1, A_2}\otimes U_B\left(\ket{00}\otimes(\alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1})\right) = \alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1}[/tex]
[tex] = I_{A_1, A_2}\ket{00}\otimes U_B(\alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1}) = \alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1}[/tex]

My professor doesn't explicitly say it but I'm assuming [itex] I_{A_1, A_2} [/itex] is an identity, so the first term is unaffected. That already seems to make this equation impossible. If the first term can somehow be ignored, [itex]U_B = I[/itex] and I could pretty easily find the other unitary operators.

This whole section on entanglement and non-locality really hit me by surprise and I am still trying to wrap my head around it. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your interpretation of the problem is correct. The task is to find a unitary operator $U_B$ such that, when applied to Alice and Bob's entangled state, it collapses both of their states to one of the given states with the appropriate probability.The key here is that the unitary operator $U_B$ only acts on Bob's qubits. The identity operator $I_{A_1, A_2}$ just ensures that Alice's qubits remain unchanged. In other words, $I_{A_1, A_2} \otimes U_B$ is equivalent to just $U_B$.Therefore, your equation should read $\left(\alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1}\right) = U_B\left(\alpha\ket{0}+\beta\ket{1}\right)$. This equation has a solution: $U_B = I$, the identity operator. To find the other unitary operators, you can use the fact that any unitary operator can be written as a product of unitary matrices. You can also use the results from the projective measurements you made in the first part of the problem to determine the form of the unitary operator.I hope this helps!

1. What is a unitary operator?

A unitary operator is a linear transformation in quantum mechanics that preserves the inner product of the state vectors. In other words, it is a mathematical operation that can be applied to a quantum system without changing its overall state.

2. How is a unitary operator related to quantum non-locality?

In the context of quantum non-locality, a unitary operator is used to describe the entanglement between two or more particles. This entanglement allows for non-local correlations between the particles, meaning that the state of one particle can affect the state of another particle even if they are separated by large distances.

3. Why is it important to find a unitary operator for quantum non-locality?

Finding a unitary operator for quantum non-locality is important because it helps us understand the underlying mechanisms of quantum entanglement and non-locality. It also has practical applications in quantum information processing, such as quantum teleportation and quantum cryptography.

4. How do scientists find a unitary operator for quantum non-locality?

Scientists use mathematical models and experimental data to determine the appropriate unitary operator for a specific quantum system. This involves analyzing the correlations between entangled particles and using mathematical techniques to derive the unitary operator that describes these correlations.

5. Are there any challenges in finding a unitary operator for quantum non-locality?

Yes, there are several challenges in finding a unitary operator for quantum non-locality. One challenge is the complexity of the mathematical models and calculations involved. Another challenge is the difficulty in accurately measuring and controlling entangled particles in experiments. Additionally, there may be limitations in our current understanding of quantum mechanics that can make it challenging to find an appropriate unitary operator for certain systems.