Finding arc length of vector valued function

In summary, to find the arc length of the graph of r(t) = ti + ( (t6/6) - (6/t4) )j + t√3 k from t=1 to t=2, we use the formula Arc length = ∫ ||dr/dt|| dt. After differentiating, we get ||dr/dt|| = √(1 + 3 + t10 + 48 + 576t-10). This expression is still difficult to integrate, but it is simpler than the previous attempt.
Yitin

Homework Statement

Find arc length of the graph of
r(t) = ti + ( (t6/6) - (6/t4) )j + t√3 k
1≤t≤2

Homework Equations

Arc length = ∫ ||dr/dt|| dt
(Integral from t0 to t1 of norm of derivative of r)

The Attempt at a Solution

dr/dt = i + (t5 + 24/(t3) )j + √3 k

12 = 1
(√3)2 = 3
(t5 + 24/(t3) )2 = t10 + 48t2 + 576/t6

||dr/dt|| = √(1 + 3 + t10 + 48t2 + 576/t6)I get stuck here because I do not know how to integrate that. It doesn't seem anywhere close to a perfect square.
Did I make a mistake somewhere, or is there some kind of property to integrate this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not differentiate the [itex]6/t^4[/itex] term correctly.

Ok, so now it should be

(t5 +24t-5)2
(t10 + 48 + 576t-10)

||dr/dt|| = √( 1 + 3 + t10 + 48 + 576t-10 )
||dr/dt|| = √( t10 + 52 + 576t-10 )

Which I am still not sure how to integrate, but it at least looks nicer.

Related to Finding arc length of vector valued function

1. What is a vector valued function?

A vector valued function is a mathematical function that maps a set of input values to a set of multidimensional output values, represented as vectors. It is often used to describe the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object in space.

2. How do you find the arc length of a vector valued function?

To find the arc length of a vector valued function, you can use the arc length formula, which involves taking the integral of the magnitude of the function's derivative. This formula takes into account the change in position over time and calculates the total distance traveled.

3. What is the significance of finding the arc length of a vector valued function?

Finding the arc length of a vector valued function is important in many applications, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It allows us to calculate the distance traveled by an object, which is crucial in understanding its motion and behavior.

4. Are there any alternative methods for finding the arc length of a vector valued function?

Yes, there are other methods for finding the arc length of a vector valued function, such as using parametric equations or using numerical integration techniques. However, the arc length formula is the most commonly used and accepted method.

5. Can the arc length of a vector valued function be negative?

No, the arc length of a vector valued function cannot be negative. It represents a physical distance, which is always positive. If the calculated arc length is negative, it is likely due to an error in the calculation or a misunderstanding of the underlying concept.