Finding Color of Two Lights Given Slit Source & Screen Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the color of two lights given the distance between the slit source and the screen, as well as the slit width. The equations d sin θ = m λ and sin θ = m λ / d are mentioned as relevant equations. The conversation then moves on to discussing the question of determining the wavelength of light without knowing the angle of diffraction, and how to use the given values to solve the problem. The concept of the "second minimum" is explained, and the equations y_m = m λ L / d and tan θ = y/L are mentioned as potential solutions. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the value of q photon and the need to determine the voltage.
meher4real
Poster has been reminded to define the homework problem well, and to show their work so far on the problem.
Homework Statement
How to determine the wavelength of lights without having the angle of the diffraction \theta ??
Relevant Equations
d sin \theta = m \lambda
sin \theta = m \lambda / d
Given values :
- Distance between the slit source and the screen L
- d1,d2
The problem is to detemine the color of the two lights

Physics news on Phys.org
meher4real said:
Homework Statement:: How to determine the wavelength of lights without having the angle of the diffraction \theta ??
Relevant Equations:: d sin \theta = m \lambda
sin \theta = m \lambda / d

Given values :
- Distance between the slit source and the screen L
- d1,d2
The problem is to detemine the color of the two lights
Please post the whole question exactly. If it is not in English please post the original and your translation.

Likes meher4real
Determine the wavelength of light from the diffraction at a slit width of 0.4 mm, if the diffraction pattern is observed on the screen at a distance of 2.5 m from the slit and the second minima of the given color are 10.6 mm apart. Use the tables to determine the color of the light.

meher4real said:
Determine the wavelength of light from the diffraction at a slit width of 0.4 mm, if the diffraction pattern is observed on the screen at a distance of 2.5 m from the slit and the second minima of the given color are 10.6 mm apart. Use the tables to determine the color of the light.
That helps. So now can you start working the problem using your Relevant Equations?

My bad, sorry for the misunderstanding !
As i said before you need angle \theta to solve \lambda according to that equation.
Any formula that can help me solve this problem or in that case \theta must be a known value ?

If you make a drawing and can do trigonometry you are done.
Do you understand what the "second minimum" means?

Maybe in french i would understand it.
What does it mean ?

I fear this is a physics understanding problem not a language problem. What does "theta" "lambda" "m" and "d" mean in the equations you wrote down?

With all respect but some scientific terms are different in English if you know what i mean.
λ Wavelength
θ between the path and a line from the slits to the screen
d is the distance between the slits
m = 0, 1, −1, 2, −2, . . . (constructive)
Even with this equation can't get it !
ym = m λ L / d

Wait, can i use L = d sinθ or θ =d/L

No, but you're getting there. You can use the L and the data about the position of the second minimum to find theta. Knowing it is the second minimum allows use of the equation relating d and ##\lambda## to the diffraction geometry
1623027599910.png

Likes meher4real
hutchphd said:
No, but you're getting there. You can use the L and the data about the position of the second minimum to find theta. Knowing it is the second minimum allows use of the equation relating d and ##\lambda## to the diffraction geometry
View attachment 284129
Thank you for your response but first i would like to verify some values.
From the problem above we get :
L=2.5m d=10.6mm and "a" (slit width) = 0.4mm
L>>d so tanθ =y/L
is y same as d ?
How to use m in the equation every value got his own angle θ for 0,1,2 ?
If "a" is right when to use it ? In what equation ?
I'm lost here
Please help me i want to know the concept.

Sorry I have lost your definitions. d is usually the slit width. "y" is the off axis distance on the detector so your equation for tan (theta) seems ok.

Likes meher4real
Then how to calculte "y" if λ isn't available ?
y= m λ L / d

meher4real said:
Then how to calculte "y" if λ isn't available ?
y= m λ L / d
You are given the information for ##y_m##:
meher4real said:
the second minima of the given color are 10.6 mm apart
You need to figure out what values of m correspond to the second minima.

Likes meher4real
Thank you for your time, your responses means a lot guys because today is the deadline.
I need to send my homeworks today. Only 2 problems left and i need to solve this one asap.
I know nothing about Optic, i do my best studying it but still not enough.
Is "ym" same as "d" ?
Is second minima means m=2 ?

meher4real said:
Thank you for your time, your responses means a lot guys because today is the deadline.
I need to send my homeworks today. Only 2 problems left and i need to solve this one asap.
I know nothing about Optic, i do my best studying it but still not enough.
Is "ym" same as "d" ?
Is second minima means m=2 ?
d is the width of the slit. ##y_m## is displacement from the centre of the diffraction pattern to the ##m^{th}## minimum, so the second minima are at m=2 and m=-2.

• Informative
Likes hutchphd and meher4real
Hi !
What's the value q of photon ? please help ? i need to figure the voltage.
q photon = ?

meher4real said:
Hi !
What's the value q of photon ? please help ? i need to figure the voltage.
q photon = ?
q? Sounds like a charge. Photons don't have charge, none of your equations have a variable called q, and I see no mention of voltage in the thread. What voltage?

1. How can I determine the color of two lights given the slit source and screen distance?

To determine the color of two lights, you will need to use a spectrophotometer. This device measures the wavelengths of light emitted by the two sources. The wavelength with the highest intensity will correspond to the perceived color of the light.

2. What is the role of the slit source and screen distance in finding the color of two lights?

The slit source and screen distance are important factors in determining the color of two lights because they affect the amount of light that reaches the spectrophotometer. The slit source controls the width of the light beam, while the screen distance determines the distance between the light source and the spectrophotometer. These variables can impact the accuracy of the color measurement.

3. Can I use any type of spectrophotometer for this experiment?

It is recommended to use a spectrophotometer specifically designed for color measurement. These devices have a wider range of wavelengths and are more accurate than other types of spectrophotometers. However, if you do not have access to a color spectrophotometer, you can still use a regular spectrophotometer, but the results may not be as precise.

4. How does the angle of the light source affect the color measurement?

The angle of the light source can affect the color measurement because it can alter the wavelength of the light. This is known as the Doppler effect. It is important to keep the angle of the light source consistent for accurate results.

5. Are there any other factors that can impact the color measurement of two lights?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the color measurement, such as the ambient light in the room, the temperature, and the quality of the light source. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure accurate results.