Finding current in a RLC circuit using kirchhoff laws

In summary, the conversation is discussing a DC circuit and the calculation of currents in the moment when the capacitor is being charged. The equations of Kirchhoff's laws are being used, but there is confusion about the branches without resistance and the role of the commutator switch. The final goal is to calculate the current flowing through E1.
karlis123

Homework Statement

Find current flowing through E1 ( find I1).

Homework Equations

I see 6 currents, atleast until the capacitor is charged, what i find confusing are the branches without any resistance and they seem to mess up my equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

1st kirchhoff's law
I1+I5=I2
I3+I6=I1
I6+I5=I4
2nd kirchhoff's law
I2*L-I3*C=E1
I2*L+R1*I5=E2
I3*C+I6*R2=0

In the end i get 2*I5-I6=5 which doesn't solve anything for me so I guess I'm still missing something there.
Its been some time since I've done circuit calculations any help would be apritiated

Attachments

• IMG_9883.jpg
    IMG_9883.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 519
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you after a steady-state DC analysis, or is this AC?

If DC, then the inductor and capacitor can be replaced by a short-circuit and an open-circuit, resp.

NascentOxygen said:
Are you after a steady-state DC analysis, or is this AC?

If DC, then the inductor and capacitor can be replaced by a short-circuit and an open-circuit, resp.

its a dc circuit right after commutation, the commutator switch is closed and is in series with E2 and R1 (i replaced it with a black line in the picture).
Here i found an example, as i understand i have to calculate the currents in the exact moment when the condenser is being charged.
any help with the equations would help allot.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
karlis123 said:
its a dc circuit right after commutation, the commutator switch is closed and is in series with E1 and R1 (i replaced it with a black line in the picture).

:confused: E1 and R1 don't appear to be connected in your circuit. So where is this commutator?

gneill said:
:confused: E1 and R1 don't appear to be connected in your circuit. So where is this commutator?

ow my bad! E2 I ment

So to be clear, the circuit looks like this?
attachment.php?attachmentid=46075&stc=1&d=1334077359.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 622
exactly

1. What is a RLC circuit?

A RLC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains a resistor (R), an inductor (L), and a capacitor (C). These three components are connected in series or parallel and together create a circuit that can store energy and create oscillations.

2. How do Kirchhoff's laws apply to a RLC circuit?

Kirchhoff's laws state that the algebraic sum of all the currents entering and leaving a junction in a circuit must equal zero (Kirchhoff's current law) and the algebraic sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero (Kirchhoff's voltage law). These laws can be applied to a RLC circuit to find the current in the circuit.

3. How do you find the current in a RLC circuit using Kirchhoff's laws?

To find the current in a RLC circuit using Kirchhoff's laws, you first need to draw a diagram of the circuit and label all the components and their values. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's current law to set up an equation for the current entering and leaving a junction in the circuit. Next, use Kirchhoff's voltage law to set up an equation for the voltage around a closed loop in the circuit. Finally, solve the equations simultaneously to find the current in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel RLC circuits?

In a series RLC circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, meaning the same current flows through each component. In a parallel RLC circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, meaning the voltage across each component is the same. Additionally, the total resistance in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances, while the total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the smallest individual resistance.

5. What factors affect the current in a RLC circuit?

The current in a RLC circuit is affected by the values of the resistor, inductor, and capacitor, as well as the frequency of the power supply. Additionally, the arrangement of the components (series or parallel) and any external sources of voltage or current can also affect the current in the circuit.