Finding Disjoint Partitions of a Set: A Problem Solved

In summary, the text asks for a partition of a set A that has cardinality 4 and includes the sets {1,2,3,4}. A partition of A is a collection that separates every element of the set A into disjoint non-empty subsets.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I was given a problem where I was to find two disjoint partitions, [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] and a set A such that |A| = 4 and [tex]|S_1| = 3[/tex] and [tex]|S_2| = 3[/tex].

Now the set I was using and the book eventually used was A = {1,2,3,4} and [tex]S_1 = [/tex]{{1},{2},{3,4}} and [tex]S_2 = [/tex]{{1,2},{3},{4}}.

The question I have is probably a few definition questions that the book just doesn't seem to be clear about. Do the S's have to be a collection of sets and not simply a set of numbers? For example, is [tex]S_1 =[/tex] {1,2,3} not a correct partition?

Also, the text asks for "disjoint" partitions, which I assume means [tex]S_1[/tex] and [tex]S_2[/tex] don't share any elements. However, isn't this part of the definition of a partition? That is, any two sets don't share any elements?

Physics news on Phys.org
A partition of a set A is a collection that simply separates every element of the set A into disjoint non-empty subsets. Every element of the set A must appear once and only once in one of the subsets of the partition. [tex]S_1[/tex] = {{1,2,3}} is not a partition of the set A since 4 does not appear is any of the subsets. However, [tex]S_1[/tex] = {{1,2,3}, {4}} would be a partition, however its cardinality would be 2.

It is true that a partition is always a collection of disjoint subsets, however it is possible to have two partitions that are not disjoint, but distinct. For example [tex]S_1[/tex]={{1,2}, {3}, {4}} and [tex]S_2[/tex]={{1,3}, {2}, {4}} would be two distinct partitions of A, both with cardinality 3, however they are not disjoint because they share the element (of a partition which is a subset) {4}.

Last edited:
Ok, I think my text is a bit confusing as it made it seem like S1 and S2 were required to make the set A.

For example, would S = {{1,2,3,4}} be a partition of A? And would S={1,2,3,4} be a partition of A?

1. What is the purpose of finding disjoint partitions of a set?

The purpose of finding disjoint partitions of a set is to divide the set into smaller, non-overlapping subsets. This can help in simplifying complex problems and can also be useful in data analysis and organization.

2. How is finding disjoint partitions of a set useful in mathematics?

Finding disjoint partitions of a set is useful in mathematics because it allows for a clearer understanding of the relationships and structure within a set. It can also be used to prove certain theorems and properties.

3. What is the difference between disjoint and overlapping partitions?

Disjoint partitions are subsets of a set that do not share any common elements, while overlapping partitions have at least one element in common. In other words, disjoint partitions are mutually exclusive, whereas overlapping partitions can have elements in common.

4. Can a set have more than one disjoint partition?

Yes, a set can have multiple disjoint partitions. For example, the set {1,2,3,4} can be partitioned into the subsets {1,2} and {3,4}, which are both disjoint.

5. How is the problem of finding disjoint partitions of a set solved?

The problem of finding disjoint partitions of a set is solved by using various techniques and algorithms, such as the Set Partitioning Algorithm or the Disjoint Set Union Data Structure. These methods involve identifying common elements, organizing subsets, and checking for overlapping partitions to find the optimal solution.