Understanding Partition of Sets: Definition, Conditions, and Examples

• Thread starter PsychonautQQ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    partitions
In summary: In your example, you only have one pair of sets, {1,2} and {3,4}, and they are indeed disjoint. However, if you had another pair, say {2,3} and {1,4}, then they would not be disjoint and the family would not be pairwise disjoint.
PsychonautQQ

Homework Statement

"A family of sets is called pairwise disjoint if any two distinct sets in the family are disjoint".
so if ANY of the two sets are disjoint with each other then the whole family can be called pairwise disjoint..

"If A is a nonempty set, a family P of subsets of A is called a partition of A (and the sets in P are called the cells of the partition) if
1) No cells are empty
2) The cells are pairwise disjoint
3) Every element of A belongs to some cell.

"If P is a partition of A, (2) and (3) clearly imply that each element of A lies in exactly one cell of P."

Say A = {1,2,3,4,5,6} P= {{1,2},{3,4},{5,6,1}}, This partition is pairwise disjoint as {3,4} have no intersection with the {1,2} (as well as {5,6,1} for that matter). And even though there is intersection of the 1 between {1,2} and {5,6,1} it only takes one disjoint subset to be considered pairwise disjoint. I feel like my example did not violate (1) (2) or (3). What am I missing here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your example, each element of A is an element of exactly one element of P.
##1\in\{1,2\},\ 1\notin\{3,4\},\ 1\notin\{5,6\}##
##2\in\{1,2\},\ 2\notin\{3,4\},\ 2\notin\{5,6\}##
##3\notin\{1,2\},\ 3\in\{3,4\},\ 3\notin\{5,6\}##
You clearly need the statements 1-3 to prove that every family of subsets of A that satisfies 1-3 is such that every element of A is in exactly one cell. You don't need them when you're dealing with a specific example of a partition.

PsychonautQQ said:

Homework Statement

"A family of sets is called pairwise disjoint if any two distinct sets in the family are disjoint".
so if ANY of the two sets are disjoint with each other then the whole family can be called pairwise disjoint..

"If A is a nonempty set, a family P of subsets of A is called a partition of A (and the sets in P are called the cells of the partition) if
1) No cells are empty
2) The cells are pairwise disjoint
3) Every element of A belongs to some cell.

"If P is a partition of A, (2) and (3) clearly imply that each element of A lies in exactly one cell of P."

Say A = {1,2,3,4,5,6} P= {{1,2},{3,4},{5,6,1}}, This partition is pairwise disjoint as {3,4} have no intersection with the {1,2} (as well as {5,6,1} for that matter). And even though there is intersection of the 1 between {1,2} and {5,6,1} it only takes one disjoint subset to be considered pairwise disjoint. I feel like my example did not violate (1) (2) or (3). What am I missing here?
I think you are misunderstanding the use of the word "any" in the definition:
Although it's common to use the word "any" in this way, what is really meant is "every." In other words, all pairs of distinct sets ##A## and ##B## have the property that ##A## and ##B## are disjoint.

1. What are partitions in computer science?

Partitions in computer science refer to the division of a computer's storage space into smaller sections, each of which can be used to store data and files.

2. Why are partitions used in operating systems?

Partitions are used in operating systems to organize and manage the storage space of a computer. By dividing the storage into partitions, it becomes easier to separate data and files and allocate specific amounts of space for different purposes.

3. How many partitions can a computer have?

The number of partitions a computer can have depends on the operating system and the size of the storage device. Generally, a computer can have up to 4 primary partitions or 3 primary partitions and 1 extended partition, which can be further divided into logical partitions.

4. What is the purpose of a boot partition?

A boot partition is a small partition at the beginning of the hard drive that contains the necessary files for the computer to start up and load the operating system. It is typically used for storing boot loaders and BIOS settings.

5. Can partitions be resized or deleted?

Yes, partitions can be resized or deleted, but it is important to note that resizing or deleting a partition can result in data loss. It is recommended to back up important data before making any changes to partitions.