Finding Distance with given 2 speeds and a time

• Thread starter Kushal Gurung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed Time
In summary: Remember, the distance from the observer to the ship is the same. The sound takes two different times to travel this distance, but you only know that these times are 5 seconds apart.Call the distance to the ship D. Distance (underwater): 1400 m/s x 5s = 7000 mDistance (in the air): 330 m/s x 10s = 3300 mDistance (total) = 10.300 mDistance = 10.300 m - 10.000 m = 290 mTime (underwater): D / 290 m = 5sTime (in the air): 330 m/s x 10s = 3,300 mTime (total
Kushal Gurung
1. Example (bomb): There is a ship and you need to calculate the distance between the bomb and the ship. A bomb explodes underwater, the underwater sound wave travels at a speed of 1400 m/s and in the air at a speed of 330 m/s (0°C). The sound wave underwater is 5 seconds faster than in the air. Calculate the distance between the bomb and the ship.

Answer: 2.2 km

My attempt: ( to be honest I've tried my best, I've even talked to myself explaining things that doesn't make sense. I'm going mentally ill here since I can't solve the question. I stress out too much when I can't figure out and that basically makes it worse for me.)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kushal Gurung said:
1. Example (bomb): There is a ship and you need to calculate the distance between the bomb and the ship. A bomb explodes underwater, the underwater sound wave travels at a speed of 1400 m/s and in the air at a speed of 330 m/s (0°C). The sound wave underwater is 5 seconds faster than in the air. Calculate the distance between the bomb and the ship.

Answer: 2.2 km

My attempt: ( to be honest I've tried my best, I've even talked to myself explaining things that doesn't make sense. I'm going mentally ill here since I can't solve the question. I stress out too much when I can't figure out and that basically makes it worse for me.)
Well, why don't you write out and post your best calculation about the distance. That's what PF expects from people seeking help with HW.

If you don't do this, how can we know what you understand about this problem and what you don't understand?

SteamKing said:
Well, why don't you write out and post your best calculation about the distance. That's what PF expects from people seeking help with HW.

If you don't do this, how can we know what you understand about this problem and what you don't understand?
That's why I explained about my attempt. I don't know how to start it. I've used the formulas that we were given but I don't know where to start and where to end. Example of my attempt.

Since we have speed and time we are looking for the distance.

Distance = Speed x Time

Distance (underwater): 1400 m/s x time

Since we know that 5 seconds faster means it isn't the actual time so we go ahead and look for the real time.

Distance (in the air): 330 m/s x time

Well that's it. I don't know if I started correctly or I'm just outer space.

Kushal Gurung said:
That's why I explained about my attempt. I don't know how to start it. I've used the formulas that we were given but I don't know where to start and where to end. Example of my attempt.

Since we have speed and time we are looking for the distance.

Distance = Speed x Time

Distance (underwater): 1400 m/s x time

Since we know that 5 seconds faster means it isn't the actual time so we go ahead and look for the real time.

Distance (in the air): 330 m/s x time

Well that's it. I don't know if I started correctly or I'm just outer space.
You're overlooking one important fact: it takes the sound 5 seconds longer to travel thru the air than to travel the same distance thru the water to the ship.

Do you think you could write an equation which expresses this fact?

SteamKing said:
You're overlooking one important fact: it takes the sound 5 seconds longer to travel thru the air than to travel the same distance thru the water to the ship.

Do you think you could write an equation which expresses this fact?
Distance (underwater): 1400 m/s x 5s = 7000 m
Distance (in the air): 330 m/s x 10s = 3300 m

Distance (total) = 10.300 m

Distance = 10.300 m / 5s = 2030 m

Ok I'm lost again.

Kushal Gurung said:
Distance (underwater): 1400 m/s x 5s = 7000 m
Distance (in the air): 330 m/s x 10s = 3300 m

Distance (total) = 10.300 m

Distance = 10.300 m / 5s = 2030 m

Ok I'm lost again.
You're just making stuff up now. There is no evidence that the sound travels for 10 sec. in air. What if it takes sound 15 sec. to reach the observer from the ship thru the air?

Remember, the distance from the observer to the ship is the same. The sound takes two different times to travel this distance, but you only know that these times are 5 seconds apart.

Call the distance to the ship D. How would you calculate the time it takes the sound to travel the distance D in water, and then in air?

How would you express the difference in the two times such that the difference is 5 seconds?

Related to Finding Distance with given 2 speeds and a time

What is the formula for finding distance given two speeds and a time?

The formula for finding distance with given two speeds and a time is distance = speed 1 x time + speed 2 x time.

How do you calculate distance when only one speed is given?

If only one speed is given, you can use the formula distance = speed x time to calculate the distance.

Can the formula be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the formula for finding distance with given two speeds and a time can be used for any type of motion, including linear, circular, and accelerated motion.

What units should be used for speed and time when using this formula?

The units for speed should be in distance per time (e.g. miles per hour, meters per second) and the unit for time should be consistent with the speed unit (e.g. hours, seconds).

Can this formula be used to find the distance between two moving objects?

No, this formula is used to find the distance traveled by one object with two different speeds. To find the distance between two moving objects, you would need to use a different formula or method.