Finding Equivalent Resistance Using Symmetry and Kirchhoff's Laws

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of symmetry to find equal currents and the difficulty in solving four equations in four variables using Kirchhoff's current and voltage laws. The suggestion is made to label currents and potentials in terms of variables and constants, but it is acknowledged that this method may lead to long calculations.
sktg
Homework Statement
Twelve resistors form the edges of a cube as shown
in the figure. If the potential difference between
opposite corners A and A' is 18 V, find the equivalent
resistance between A and A'.(Figure is in 'Attempt at a Solution' section)
Relevant Equations
There are no equations in for this question.
1588704491513.png

By the use of symmetry, I have found that equal currents will flow through opposite edges like A-C and C'A', but still, the use of kirchhoffs current and voltage laws lead to four equations in four variables which I am not able to solve, neither I am sure that the four equations which I have created are independent since I have used symmetry in dividing currents.I have also tried using star delta conversion but its going too long. I think there should be some shorter method to solve this, can anyone please give a hint?(Not complete solution)

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't worked it through, so full disclaimer this might not work, but have you tried labelling the currents AB, AC, AD with ##i_1, i_2, i_3## respectively, and also B'A', C'A', D'A' with ##i_1, i_2, i_3## respectively (due to the symmetry you mention), and then labelling the potential of each node in terms of ##V## and ##i_1, i_2, i_3## (where ##V = 18V##)? You should be able to then work out some more currents; that might give you sufficient Kirchhoff current law equations? I'll probably try it tomorrow since I'm a bit tired now...

Let's see if someone has a nicer method :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
I haven't worked it through, so full disclaimer this might not work, but have you tried labelling the currents AB, AC, AD with ##i_1, i_2, i_3## respectively, and also B'A', C'A', D'A' with ##i_1, i_2, i_3## respectively (due to the symmetry you mention), and then labelling the potential of each node in terms of ##V## and ##i_1, i_2, i_3## (where ##V = 18V##)? You should be able to then work out some more currents; that might give you sufficient Kirchhoff current law equations? I'll probably try it tomorrow since I'm a bit tired now...

Let's see if someone has a nicer method :wink:
I have tried but calculations are very long

sktg said:
I have tried but calculations are very long

I think if you follow through the calculations I mentioned you should be able to get at least 3 simultaneous equations from applying Kirchhoff's current law at at least 3 junctions without too much difficulty. It's tedious, perhaps, but such is life sometimes :frown:.

1. What is equivalent resistance?

Equivalent resistance refers to the total resistance of a circuit or a combination of resistors that can be replaced by a single resistor without changing the original circuit's behavior.

2. How do you calculate equivalent resistance?

To calculate equivalent resistance, you can use the formula: Req = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... where R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances in the circuit. If the resistors are in series, you can simply add them. If they are in parallel, you can use the formula: 1/Req = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ...

3. Why is equivalent resistance important?

Equivalent resistance is important because it allows us to simplify complex circuits and analyze them more easily. It also helps in determining the amount of current flowing through a circuit and the amount of voltage drop across each resistor.

4. Can equivalent resistance be greater than the individual resistances?

Yes, equivalent resistance can be greater than the individual resistances. This can happen when the resistors are connected in parallel, as the total resistance decreases when resistors are connected in parallel.

5. How does temperature affect equivalent resistance?

Temperature can affect equivalent resistance, as the resistance of a conductor increases with an increase in temperature. This can cause the equivalent resistance of a circuit to increase, leading to a decrease in the amount of current flowing through the circuit.