Finding flux through ellipsoid in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the problem asks for the total flux through the surface of an ellipsoid, defined by x^2 + y^2 + 1/4z^2 = 1, due to an electric field E = x^2 + y^2 + z^2 in cylindrical coordinates. The first step is to convert the equation of the ellipsoid to cylindrical coordinates, and the surface element of a cylinder is used to calculate the surface area. To find the flux, the dot product of E and the surface element is taken, but the issue of unit vectors remains. The use of the divergence theorem is suggested, as the divergence of E is a constant in this problem.
BrianA.

Homework Statement

Using Cylindrical coordinates, find the total flux through the surface of the ellipsoid defined by x2 + y2 + ¼z2 = 1 due to an electric field E = xx + yy + zz (bold denoting vectors | x,y,z being the unit vectors)

Calculate ∇⋅E and then confirm the Gauss's Law

Homework Equations

Cylindrical Coordinates being used: (s,φ,z)
Conversion to Cylindrical Coordinates:
x = scosφ
y = ssinφ
z= z

Surface Element of a Cylinder:
da = sdφdz

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the ellipsoids equation into cylindrical, so it looks like:
s2cos2φ + s2sin2φ + ¼z2 = 1

solving for s looks like s = √(1-¼z2)

I solved for both the volume and surface area of the ellipse through integration. Surface Area was as Follows:
∫ (from -2 to 2) ∫ (from 0 to 2π) sdφdz = ∫∫ √(1-¼z2) dφdz = 2π2

How to use this to find Flux, I am unsure of.
I know to convert E to cylindrical so E = scosφx + ssinφy + zz, but don't know what to do about the unit vectors.

Is the flux just ∫E⋅da ? and if so, how do I take the dot product and what do I do about the unit vectors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you allowed to use the divergence theorem?

Chet

I think that's expected.
The two are related right?

BrianA. said:
I think that's expected.
The two are related right?
Yes. Please state the divergence theorem in terms of E. In your problem, the divergence of E is a constant. What is that constant?

Chet

I would recommend approaching this problem in the following steps:

1. Calculate ∇⋅E, also known as the divergence of E, using the given electric field in cylindrical coordinates. This will give you a scalar function that represents the flux density at any point in space.

2. Use Gauss's Law, which states that the total flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge, to confirm your result from step 1. In this case, the enclosed charge would be zero, as there is no mention of any charge present in the problem.

3. To find the total flux through the surface of the ellipsoid, you need to integrate the flux density over the surface. This can be done by breaking the surface into small elements, calculating the flux density at each element, and then summing them all up. The integral you have mentioned, ∫E⋅da, is the correct way to do this, where E is the flux density and da is the surface element.

4. To take the dot product, you need to multiply the vector components of E with the corresponding components of the surface element da. In this case, since the surface element is given in cylindrical coordinates, you will need to express E in terms of cylindrical unit vectors, which are s, φ, and z. Remember that s, φ, and z are just unit vectors, so you can replace them with their corresponding components (scosφ, ssinφ, and z) in the dot product.

I hope this helps guide you in solving the problem. It is important to always follow the necessary steps and use the correct equations to arrive at a solution.

1. What is flux and how is it related to ellipsoids in cylindrical coordinates?

Flux is a measure of the flow of a vector field through a surface. In the case of ellipsoids in cylindrical coordinates, flux refers to the amount of a vector field passing through the surface of an ellipsoid in a cylindrical coordinate system.

2. How is the flux through an ellipsoid in cylindrical coordinates calculated?

The flux through an ellipsoid in cylindrical coordinates can be calculated using the formula: ∫ ∫ F · dS, where F is the vector field, dS is the differential surface area element, and the double integral is taken over the surface of the ellipsoid.

3. What is the significance of finding flux through an ellipsoid in cylindrical coordinates?

Finding the flux through an ellipsoid in cylindrical coordinates can help in understanding the behavior of vector fields in different coordinate systems. It can also be useful in various applications, such as in fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

4. Can the flux through an ellipsoid in cylindrical coordinates be negative?

Yes, the flux through an ellipsoid in cylindrical coordinates can be negative. This can happen when the vector field is directed inward through the surface of the ellipsoid, resulting in a negative value for the flux.

5. Are there any real-life examples of finding flux through ellipsoid in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, one example is the flow of electric current through a cylindrical wire with an ellipsoidal cross-section. By finding the flux through the ellipsoidal surface, one can determine the amount of current passing through the wire and analyze its behavior in different coordinate systems.