Finding Forces in Truss Members: A Guide for Solving Truss Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving external forces and the attempt at solving it by taking moments about point G. The individual is unsure of how to proceed further and seeks help. The suggestion is to cut the plane through the three members in question and use X and Y equations to solve for the unknown forces.
VectorA

Homework Statement

u7MCJe0.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First i Found the external forces. Ax =0 , Ay = 8Kn, Jy=8Kn and P = -16Kn
Then i took moment about point G to eliminate FH and EG and so was able to find CH = 14.66Kn.

I am kind of stuck on how to tackle the problem further. Where should i take moment in order to find either FG or EG. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been a long time since I've done these - but if you take the moment about A, forces CH and FG will disappear, and all you will be left with is EG and P... right? I was never good at the method of sections, although it can save you a bunch of time.

First, identify the zero-load members.

insightful said:
First, identify the zero-load members.
Scratch that. You are asked for the forces in FG, EG, and CH, so cut your plane through those 3 members and sum X and Y forces and moments. You did moments to get CH, so now write the X and Y equations for your section.

1. What is a truss and what is it used for?

A truss is a type of structural framework made of interconnected triangles. It is commonly used in construction to support roofs, bridges, and other structures. The triangular shape of a truss makes it strong and able to withstand heavy loads.

2. How do you determine the load capacity of a truss?

The load capacity of a truss depends on several factors, including the type of truss, the materials used, and the span of the truss. To determine the load capacity, engineers use mathematical calculations and computer simulations to analyze the strength and stability of the truss.

3. Are there different types of trusses?

Yes, there are several types of trusses, including Pratt truss, Warren truss, and Howe truss. Each type has a unique design and is suitable for different types of structures and load capacities. Engineers choose the type of truss based on the specific needs of the project.

4. Can trusses be customized for different projects?

Yes, trusses can be customized to fit the specific needs of a project. Engineers can adjust the size, shape, and materials of the truss to meet the load requirements and structural demands of a particular construction project.

5. How do you install a truss?

The installation process for a truss will vary depending on the type of truss and the structure it is supporting. Generally, the truss is lifted into place and secured to the supporting structure using bolts, screws, or welding. It is crucial to follow the manufacturer's instructions and ensure proper alignment and support for the truss to ensure its stability and load-bearing capacity.