Can You Solve This Complex Fourier Transform Problem?

In summary: The integral with residues is easier to solve, but you'll need to find a function that will give you the integral from -\infty to 0. Once you have that, just use it to solve for the upper bound.
dingo_d

Homework Statement

Find the Fourier transform of
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{(x^2+a^2)^2},\ a>0[/tex], and show by direct calculation that with inverse Fourier transform you'll get the original function [tex]f(x)[/tex]!

Homework Equations

Fourier transform and it's inverse:
[tex]F(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)e^{i k x}dx[/tex]
[tex]f(x)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty F(k)e^{-ikx}dk[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have put my function into the transform and I got:
[tex]F(k)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{e^{ikx}}{(x^2+a^2)^2}dx[/tex]

I have transformed it to complex integral and since k is arbitrary I have two possible paths of integration, for k>0 in the upper plane and for k<0 in the lower plane. My resudues are:

[tex]Res(f,ia)=-i\frac{e^{-ka}}{4a^3}(1+ka)[/tex] and

[tex]Res(f,-ia)=i\frac{e^ka}{4a^3}(1-ka)[/tex].

So for k>0 my integral (without the [tex](2\pi)^{-1/2}[/tex]) is:
[tex]I=\pi \frac{e^{-ka}}{2a^3}(1+ka)[/tex]
And for k<0:
[tex]I=\pi\frac{e^{ka}}{2a^3}(1-ka)[/tex]

Now the problem is: which one do I use? Mathematica gives me this:
[tex]\frac{1}{2a^3}\cdot\ \sqrt{\frac{2}{{\pi}}}e^{-ak}\left((ak+1)\theta(k)-e^{2ak}(ak-1)\theta(-k)\right)[/tex]
Where [tex]\theta(x)[/tex] is Heaviside Step function.

I have noticed that the solutions of those integral are similar but how do I implement the step function? Plus how would I integrate it? I know that the derivative of step function is Delta function, but I don't know what the integral of it is?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral of a step function is much simpler to deal with than the derivative. It's simply the area under the step!

Just break the integral up into two pieces, from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to 0 and from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex]. One step function will equal 0, and the other will equal 1 in each integral.

vela said:
Just break the integral up into two pieces, from [itex]-\infty[/itex] to 0 and from 0 to [itex]\infty[/itex]. One step function will equal 0, and the other will equal 1 in each integral.

Oh, ok that's fine. But still how did I get the step in the first place? When I was computing the transform I got 2 solutions for [tex]k\lessgtr 0[/tex], do I need to combine them to get the step or? And If I do how to do that?

Yes, the step function just let's you indicate for which part of the domain the function it multiplies should apply. The [itex]\theta(k)[/itex] says the [itex](ak+1)[/tex] part only contributes for [itex]k>0[/itex] because [itex]\theta(k)[/itex] is zero for [itex]k<0[/itex] and one for [itex]k>0[/itex]. Similarly, the [itex]\theta(-k)[/itex] says the [itex]e^{2ak}(ak-1)[/itex] term contributes only for [itex]k<0[/itex]. Using the step function allows you to combine the two solutions you got for [itex]k>0[/itex] and [itex]k<0[/itex] into one expression.

Thanks for clarification!

Hi I have a question about this problem... again :(

I know why I get these results with step function, that's all fine, but now I need to find the inverse (the original function).

So I have:
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\int_{-\infty}^\infty F(k)e^{-i kx}dk[/tex]. I put my previous solution up there, step function 'kills' the bounds in the integral (for [tex]\theta(k)[/tex] my integral becomes: [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty \theta(k)dk=\int_0^\infty[/tex], right?) So I end up with 2 integrals which could be solved easily. But I have problem with that. If I try to solve this integral:
[tex]\int_0^\infty e^{-ik(x-ia)}(1+ka)dk[/tex]
I have problem with that upper bound. I have [tex]e^{i\cdot\infty}[/tex], and what should I make of that? If I try to solve this with residues, I have a difficulty, because I don't have [tex]\int_{-\infty}^\infty[/tex] or even function so that I could make [tex]\int_0^\infty=\frac{1}{2}\int_{-\infty}^\infty[/tex]. So how to solve it?

Related to Can You Solve This Complex Fourier Transform Problem?

What is a Fourier transform?

A Fourier transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal or function into its individual frequency components. It is used to analyze and visualize signals in the time and frequency domains.

Why is the Fourier transform important?

The Fourier transform is important because it allows us to understand the frequency content of a signal, which is crucial in many fields such as signal processing, image processing, and communication systems. It also has applications in solving differential equations and performing convolutions.

How do you calculate the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform is typically calculated using an integral or summation formula, depending on whether the signal is continuous or discrete. There are also various algorithms and software packages available to compute the Fourier transform efficiently.

What is the relationship between the Fourier transform and the Fourier series?

The Fourier transform and the Fourier series are closely related. The Fourier series decomposes a periodic signal into a sum of sinusoidal components, while the Fourier transform extends this concept to non-periodic signals by allowing them to have a continuous spectrum of frequencies.

What are some real-world applications of the Fourier transform?

The Fourier transform has many practical applications, including signal filtering, image compression, speech recognition, and data analysis. It is also used in medical imaging, radar and sonar systems, and astronomy to analyze and process signals from various sources.