Finding Freefall Acceleration on a planet

In summary, on a spherically symmetric planet with a free-fall acceleration of g = g0 at the North Pole and g = λg0 at the equator, the acceleration as a function of the colatitude angle θ can be expressed as g = g0√(cos2θ + λ2sin2θ). The vector addition of g0 and the cross product term (Ω2RE) Ω results in a sign error if λ > 1, and further manipulation using the magnitude of g is necessary to find the correct expression for g.
B3NR4Y
Gold Member

Homework Statement

On a certain planet, which is perfectly spherically symmetric, the free-fall acceleration has magnitude g = g0 at the North Pole and g = λ g0 at the equator (lambda is between zero and 1). Find g as a function of theta, the colatitude angle.

Homework Equations

[tex] \vec{g} = \vec{g_0} + (\Omega \times R_E ) \times \Omega [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The colatitude angle at the North Pole is 0 degrees, and at the equator it is 90 degrees.

I subtracted the vector g0 from both sides, to only have to deal with the magnitude of the cross product term. The magnitude of that term is Ω2 RE sin2 θ, which is equal to zero for theta equals 0, and for theta = 90 it equals lambda minus one. I'm not sure where to go from here to get what the book gives.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the book give? (I bet you knew someone was going to ask this :smile:)

How did you get the sinθ to be squared?

Haha I knew it!

[tex] g = g_0 \sqrt{cos^2 (\theta) + \lambda^2 sin^2 (\theta) } [/tex]

I've done some manipulation using the fact that Ω2 RE = (λ-1)g0

And using the magnitude of g and manipulating it as much as possible, but that doesn't seem to be taking me anywhere

B3NR4Y said:
Haha I knew it!

[tex] g = g_0 \sqrt{cos^2 (\theta) + \lambda^2 sin^2 (\theta) } [/tex]
OK. That expression looks correct.

I've done some manipulation using the fact that Ω2 RE = (λ-1)g0

I believe you have a sign error here. This expression would make ##\lambda > 1##, which would imply that the acceleration is greater at the equator compared to the pole.

And using the magnitude of g and manipulating it as much as possible, but that doesn't seem to be taking me anywhere
What is your expression for the magnitude of g? You first need to do the vector addition ##\vec{g}_0 + (\vec{\Omega} \times \vec{R}_E) \times \vec{ \Omega}##.

1. What is freefall acceleration?

Freefall acceleration is the rate at which an object falls towards the ground under the sole influence of gravity. It is a constant value that depends on the gravitational pull of the planet and is independent of the mass or composition of the object.

2. How is freefall acceleration measured on a planet?

To measure freefall acceleration on a planet, an object is dropped from a certain height and the time it takes to reach the ground is recorded. This time, along with the known height and the acceleration due to gravity formula, can be used to calculate the freefall acceleration on that planet.

3. Does freefall acceleration vary on different planets?

Yes, the freefall acceleration value varies on different planets because it is dependent on the planet's mass and radius. For example, the freefall acceleration on Earth is 9.8 m/s², while on the moon it is only 1.6 m/s².

4. Why is freefall acceleration important in physics?

Freefall acceleration is important in physics because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects under the influence of gravity. It helps explain the acceleration of objects in freefall and is crucial in many equations and theories, such as Newton's laws of motion.

5. Can freefall acceleration be affected by external forces?

Yes, freefall acceleration can be affected by external forces such as air resistance or drag. In the absence of these forces, an object in freefall will experience a constant acceleration due to gravity. However, when these external forces are present, the object's acceleration may vary and will not be equal to the freefall acceleration value of the planet.