Finding instantaneous rate of change.

In summary: It is too advanced for the Precalculus forum.In summary, the conversation discusses how the pH level in our mouth changes after consuming something with sugar, which can be modeled by the function L(m)=(\frac{-20.4m}{m^2 + 36}) + 6.5, where L is the pH level and m is the number of minutes elapsed since eating. The problem asks to find the instantaneous rate of change in pH level at 2 minutes, which is represented by the equation iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(2+h) - f(2)}{h}. The process of solving the problem involves evaluating f(2) and then finding the limit
anonymous12

Homework Statement

After you eat something that contains sugar, the pH level in our mouth changes. This can be modeled by the function [itex]L(m)=(\frac{-20.4m}{m^2 + 36}) + 6.5[/itex] where L is the pH level and m is the number of minutes that have elapsed since eating. Find the instantaneous rate of change in pH level at 2 minutes.

Homework Equations

iroc = instantaneous rate of change
[tex]iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(a+h) - f(a)}{h}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{f(2+h) - f(2)}{h} [/tex]
[tex]f(2) = 1.02[/tex]
[tex]f(2+h)=(\frac{-20.4(2+h)}{(2+h)^2 + 36}) + 6.5[/tex]
[tex]f(2+h) = \frac{-20.4h-40.8}{h^2 + 4h + 4 + 36} + 6.5[/tex]
[tex]f(2+h) = \frac{-20.4h-40.8}{h^2 + 4h +40} + 6.5[/tex]
[tex]iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{(\frac{-20.4h-40.8}{h^2 + 4h +40} + 6.5) - 1.02}{h}[/tex]
I'm really not sure what to do next. I was thinking about subtracting 1.02 from 6.5 which will give me 5.48 and then attempt to add [itex]\frac{-20.4h-40.8}{h^2 + 4h +40} + 5.48[/itex]. If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
When you evaluated f(2) you forgot to add 6.5, which is part of the function.

Ok so after I fix the silly mistake, this is how far I get.

[tex]iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{(\frac{-20.4h-40.8}{h^2 + 4h +40} + 6.5) - 5.48}{h}[/tex]
[tex]iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{(\frac{-1.02^2 - 24.48h-81.6}{h^2 + 4h +40})}{h}[/tex]

I'm not sure what I should do next.

anonymous12 said:
Ok so after I fix the silly mistake, this is how far I get.

[tex]iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{(\frac{-20.4h-40.8}{h^2 + 4h +40} + 6.5) - 5.48}{h}[/tex]
Notice that, when h=0, you get -1.02+6.5-5.48=0 in the numerator.
[tex]iroc= \lim_{h\to 0} \frac{(\frac{-1.02^2 - 24.48h-81.6}{h^2 + 4h +40})}{h}[/tex]
Notice that, when h=0, you no longer get 0 in the numerator. There is an algebra or arithmetic mistake somewhere.
I'm not sure what I should do next.
If you can fix the algebra, it should become clearer what to do. If not, post back for more help.

p.s. I am moving this problem to the Calculus & Beyond forum.

Related to Finding instantaneous rate of change.

What is instantaneous rate of change?

Instantaneous rate of change refers to the rate at which a function is changing at a specific point in time or at a specific point on a curve. It is also known as the derivative of a function at a given point.

Why is finding instantaneous rate of change important?

Finding instantaneous rate of change is important because it allows us to understand how a function is changing at a specific point, which can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve many real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do you find the instantaneous rate of change?

To find the instantaneous rate of change, we use the concept of the derivative. The derivative of a function is defined as the limit of the average rate of change as the interval between two points approaches zero. In other words, we find the slope of the tangent line to the curve at a specific point, which gives us the instantaneous rate of change at that point.

What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the average rate at which a function is changing over an interval, while the instantaneous rate of change is the rate at which the function is changing at a specific point. In other words, the average rate of change gives us an overall picture of the function's behavior over an interval, while the instantaneous rate of change gives us a more detailed view at a specific point.

What are some real-world applications of finding instantaneous rate of change?

Finding instantaneous rate of change has numerous real-world applications. For example, in physics, it is used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object at a specific point in time. In economics, it is used to analyze the rate of change of various economic variables, such as demand and supply. In engineering, it is used to design and optimize systems by understanding the rate of change of different parameters. These are just a few examples, but the concept of instantaneous rate of change is used in various fields to solve different types of problems.