Factoring Combinatorial Functions

In summary, to find values of positive integers n and m for which g(x) is a factor of f(x), one can start by finding A for {x \choose n} = A{(x+1) \choose n}, then finding B for {{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} = B {A{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}}, and finally simplifying g(x) to f(x)(1-B). However, finding B can be difficult and may require further techniques.
CalHide

Homework Statement

Define [tex] {x \choose n}=\frac{x(x-1)(x-2)...(x-n+1)}{n!} [/tex] for positive integer n. For what values of positive integers n and m is [tex]g(x)={{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}}-{{{x} \choose n} \choose {m}}[/tex] a factor of [tex]f(x)={{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}}[/tex]?

Homework Equations

The idea that the roots of a polynomial must be roots of its factors perhaps.

The Attempt at a Solution

I quickly found by brute force that m=n=1 and m=n=2 worked, but I’m not sure how to get a general result. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
CalHide said:
Define [tex] {x \choose n}=\frac{x(x-1)(x-2)...(x-n+1)}{n!} [/tex] for positive integer n. For what values of positive integers n and m is [tex]g(x)={{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}}-{{{x} \choose n} \choose {m}}[/tex] a factor of [tex]f(x)={{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}}[/tex]?
I would start by finding ##A## for: ##{x \choose n} = A{(x+1) \choose n}##.

Then ##g(x)## becomes ## {{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} - {A{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} ##

Then find ##B## for: ## {{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} = B {A{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} ##

Then ##g(x)## becomes ## f(x)(1-B) ##

.Scott said:
I would start by finding ##A## for: ##{x \choose n} = A{(x+1) \choose n}##.

Then ##g(x)## becomes ## {{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} - {A{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} ##

Then find ##B## for: ## {{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} = B {A{{x+1} \choose n} \choose {m}} ##

Then ##g(x)## becomes ## f(x)(1-B) ##
I find ##A=1-\frac{n}{x+1}##. Also, I believe ##g(x)=(1-\frac{1}{B})f(x)##. ##B## is rather nasty, and I’m not sure what to do with it.

1. What is factoring combinatorial functions?

Factoring combinatorial functions is the process of breaking down a complex mathematical expression into simpler, more manageable parts. This is often used in combinatorics, a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of counting and arranging objects.

2. Why is factoring combinatorial functions important?

Factoring combinatorial functions is important because it allows us to understand and analyze complex mathematical expressions more easily. It can also help us find patterns and relationships between different expressions, which can be useful in solving problems and making predictions.

3. What are some common techniques used in factoring combinatorial functions?

Some common techniques used in factoring combinatorial functions include using the distributive property, grouping like terms, and using common factors. These methods can help simplify expressions and make them easier to work with.

4. How do we know when an expression is fully factored?

An expression is fully factored when it can no longer be simplified or broken down into smaller parts. This means that all common factors have been identified and all terms are in their simplest form.

5. How can factoring combinatorial functions be applied in real-life situations?

Factoring combinatorial functions can be applied in various fields, including computer science, economics, and biology. For example, in computer science, factoring can be used to optimize algorithms and improve computing efficiency. In economics, it can be used to analyze market trends and predict consumer behavior. In biology, it can be used to study genetics and population dynamics.