Finding Length and Area of Tungsten Wire Resistor

In summary, the conversation discussed a homework problem about finding appropriate values for length and cross-sectional area for a homemade wire resistor with a resistance of 20Ω, given the resistivity of tungsten metal. The person asking for help was unsure of where to start and was advised to research standard wire gauges to determine a range of possible areas, and then solve for length.

do you think that this is as level or a2 level

• Total voters
nomnom

Homework Statement

the actual question is
the resitivity of tungsten metal is 4.9x10to the power of -6 Ωcm. choose appropriate values for length and cross-sectional area for a home made wire resistor of resitstance 20Ω

Homework Equations

r=pl/a
r-resistance
a-cross sectional area in m squared
l- length of wire in meters
p is resistivity of the material in ohm(meters)

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't even know wher to start all i know is that i need to find L and A but i only know p's value, please help,

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, and welcome to PF. I can't answer the poll because I don't know what it is asking. I don't, for future reference, think this problem belongs in "advanced physics."

The reason you can't "solve" this problem is because you are supposed to come up with the values yourself. You could look up the standard gauges of wire (most people use 16-26awg at the very most/least) to get a range of possible area, and from there solve for length..

1. How do you find the length of a tungsten wire resistor?

To find the length of a tungsten wire resistor, you can use the formula: length = resistance * cross-sectional area / resistivity. First, measure the resistance of the wire using a multimeter. Then, calculate the cross-sectional area of the wire using its diameter. Finally, use the resistivity of tungsten (5.6 x 10^-8 ohm-m) to solve for the length.

2. What is the cross-sectional area of a tungsten wire resistor?

The cross-sectional area of a tungsten wire resistor can be calculated using the formula: area = pi * (diameter/2)^2. Measure the diameter of the wire and plug it into the formula to get the cross-sectional area in square meters.

3. Can the length and area of a tungsten wire resistor change over time?

Yes, the length and area of a tungsten wire resistor can change over time due to factors such as temperature changes and wear and tear. It is important to regularly check and recalibrate the measurements to ensure accurate results.

4. How does the length and area of a tungsten wire resistor affect its resistance?

The length and area of a tungsten wire resistor directly affect its resistance. The longer the wire, the higher the resistance, and the larger the area, the lower the resistance. This relationship is described by the formula: resistance = resistivity * length / area.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when finding the length and area of a tungsten wire resistor?

Yes, when working with any electrical components, it is important to follow safety precautions. Make sure to turn off power sources and use proper protective gear. Additionally, ensure that the wire is not overheating during measurements to avoid burns or damage to the equipment.