Finding Solutions for Trigonometric Equations with Small Positive Roots

• Thread starter skrat
  • Start date
In summary, there are two possible ways to solve for ##\alpha## given the equation $$ T_1\cos \vartheta =-T_2\cos \alpha \sin \varphi + T_2\sin \alpha \cos \varphi$$ and values for ##T_1##, ##T_2##, ##\vartheta##, and ##\varphi##. The first method involves using the quadratic equation and yields two solutions for ##\alpha##: $$\alpha_1=\pm 83.13^°$$ and $$\alpha _2=\pm 156.87^°$$. The second method involves using trigonometric identities and solving for ##\alpha## using the
skrat

Homework Statement

I ran across this equation: $$ T_1\cos \vartheta =-T_2\cos \alpha \sin \varphi + T_2\sin \alpha \cos \varphi$$
Get ##\alpha## if ##T_1=80##, ##T_2=50##, ##\vartheta =60^°## and ##\varphi =30^°##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two possible ways:
a) One could simply write $$\sin^2=1-\cos^2\alpha$$ and get a quadratic equation for ##\cos \alpha## with solutions $$(\cos\alpha)_1=0.1196$$ and $$(\cos\alpha)_2=-0.9196.$$ Each solution has two angles ##\alpha##. First solution is $$\alpha_1=\pm 83.13^°$$ and second $$\alpha _2=\pm 156.87^°$$

b) One could use some trigonometric identities and rewrite the equation as $$T_1 \cos\vartheta = T_2\sin(\alpha-\varphi)$$ which means (according to my understanding...) $$\alpha =\varphi+arcsin(\frac{T_1}{T_2}\cos\vartheta)+n\pi.$$ For ##n=0## the solution is (as above in case a)) ##\alpha_1= 83.13^°##, however the problem here is that I can't figure out how to get the other solution in this case.This is absolutely the most embarrassing question when you realize you are close to a second Bachelor degree...

Physics news on Phys.org
##\sin(\pi - x)=\sin(x)##
That should give you the other solution.
Remember that one has to restrict the range of the inverse trigonometric functions in order to have them as well defined functions.

Likes skrat
skrat said:
One could use some trigonometric identities and rewrite the equation as $$T_1 \cos\vartheta = T_2\sin(\alpha-\varphi)$$ which means (according to my understanding...) $$\alpha =\varphi+arcsin(\frac{T_1}{T_2}\cos\vartheta)+n\pi.$$ For ##n=0## the solution is (as above in case a)) ##\alpha_1= 83.13^°##, however the problem here is that I can't figure out how to get the other solution in this case.
The ##n\pi## part is wrong. Consider, for example, if ##\varphi = 0## and ##\frac{T_1}{T_2}\cos\vartheta = 1##. Then you'd have ##\sin \alpha = 1##. One solution is ##\alpha = \frac{\pi}{2}##, but clearly ##\alpha = -\pi/2## (n = -1) and ##\alpha = 3\pi/2## (n=1) aren't solutions.

Likes skrat
skrat said:

Homework Statement

I ran across this equation: $$ T_1\cos \vartheta =-T_2\cos \alpha \sin \varphi + T_2\sin \alpha \cos \varphi$$
Get ##\alpha## if ##T_1=80##, ##T_2=50##, ##\vartheta =60^°## and ##\varphi =30^°##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are two possible ways:
a) One could simply write $$\sin^2=1-\cos^2\alpha$$ and get a quadratic equation for ##\cos \alpha## with solutions $$(\cos\alpha)_1=0.1196$$ and $$(\cos\alpha)_2=-0.9196.$$ Each solution has two angles ##\alpha##. First solution is $$\alpha_1=\pm 83.13^°$$ and second $$\alpha _2=\pm 156.87^°$$

b) One could use some trigonometric identities and rewrite the equation as $$T_1 \cos\vartheta = T_2\sin(\alpha-\varphi)$$ which means (according to my understanding...) $$\alpha =\varphi+arcsin(\frac{T_1}{T_2}\cos\vartheta)+n\pi.$$ For ##n=0## the solution is (as above in case a)) ##\alpha_1= 83.13^°##, however the problem here is that I can't figure out how to get the other solution in this case.This is absolutely the most embarrassing question when you realize you are close to a second Bachelor degree...

If you have ##0 < v < 1## and an equation ##\sin(\theta) = v##, the two smallest positive roots are ##\theta_1 = \arcsin(v)## and ##\theta_2 = \pi - \theta_1##.

Just look at the graph of ##y = \sin(\theta)## for ##0 \leq \theta \leq \pi##. You will see that the horizontal line ##y = v## cuts the sine-graph at two points, ##\theta_1## and ##\pi - \theta_1##. Alternatively, look at the unit circle in the ##(x,y)## plane, and notice that points at angles ##\theta## and ##\pi - \theta## have the same y-coordinate.

1. What does it mean to "solve the equation"?

Solving an equation means finding the value or values of the variable (often represented by x) that make the equation true. In other words, it is finding the solution(s) to the equation.

2. How do I solve an equation?

To solve an equation, you must perform operations on both sides of the equation in order to isolate the variable. This typically involves using inverse operations to cancel out terms and simplify the equation until the variable is left alone on one side and the solution is on the other.

3. Can I solve any equation?

Yes, as long as the equation follows the rules and properties of algebra, it can be solved. However, some equations may be more complex and require advanced techniques to solve.

4. What is the importance of finding the value of x in an equation?

The value of x in an equation represents the unknown quantity that is needed to make the equation true. Solving for x allows us to find the specific value that satisfies the equation and helps us understand the relationship between different quantities in the equation.

5. How do I check my solution for an equation?

To check if your solution is correct, plug the value of x back into the original equation and see if it makes the equation true. If it does, then your solution is correct. If not, you may have made an error during the solving process and should go back to check your work.