Finding Spring Constant for Rotational Motion Problem

In summary, there is a problem involving a rotating bar with a constant angular velocity and a cylinder attached to a thread and spring. After the thread breaks, the maximum distance between the cylinder and the axis is b. The task is to determine the spring constant k. To solve this problem, relevant equations for circular motion and the behavior of springs must be used. Drawing a free body diagram of the mass and identifying the forces acting on it after the string is cut can also help in finding a solution.
Adel A

Homework Statement

(Sorry for my bad English)
A slippery (frictionless), light horizontal bar rotates about a vertical axis with a constant angular velocity ω. A cylinder with mass m, is initially attatched to a thread with length a and to a spring, which from the beginning has its "natural" length.
Suddenly the thread breaks. Now the maximum distance between the cylinder and the axis is b.
Determine the spring constant k for the spring.

I have uploaded a picture of the problem.

Thanks!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I should use integration but I don't know how or where to start.

Attachments

• Bild 2015-03-17 kl. 13.49.jpg
    Bild 2015-03-17 kl. 13.49.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
You must know some equations that apply to circular motion, and you must know an equation (or equations) that describe the behavior of springs. Please write them under relevant equations.

Start (as usual) by drawing a free body diagram of the mass. What are the forces acting on the mass (after the string is cut)?

Chet

1. What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is spring constant determined?

Spring constant can be determined by measuring the force required to stretch or compress a spring and dividing it by the change in length or displacement of the spring.

3. What factors affect the spring constant?

The spring constant is affected by the material and thickness of the spring, as well as the number of coils and the diameter of the coils. The temperature, length, and cross-sectional area of the spring also play a role in determining its stiffness.

4. Why is spring constant important?

Spring constant is important because it allows us to predict the behavior of a spring and how it will respond to external forces. It also plays a crucial role in various applications such as designing springs for mechanical devices and measuring the elastic properties of materials.

5. Can spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on the material properties and dimensions of the spring, as well as the environmental conditions such as temperature and pressure. It can also change if the spring is damaged or undergoes plastic deformation.